PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil

mudnut
7th March 2013, 04:18 PM
Gidday, all
The Old Trol is due for a gearbox oil change. The Auto Pro shop has re-opened in town, and they gave me a good price for some, but it is from a company called Gulf Western. Has anyone used it. I use to run Gulf Western engine oil in an old run-about (of the T brand) and encountered no probs. Or should I shell out for the Shell Helix?

threedogs
7th March 2013, 04:26 PM
Top brand from USA thats Gulf Western

NissanGQ4.2
7th March 2013, 06:27 PM
I have used Gulf Western in my Auto Gearbox since my rebuild, no drama's with it

Old man is also using it in his GQ Auto Gearbox with no issues.

I had never heard of them before my rebuild, but could get it a bit cheaper because of an old works cash account with them, and since running it in my gearbox I have also changed my chainsaw bar oil over to gulf western as well :)

NissanGQ4.2
7th March 2013, 06:27 PM
BTW what price did you get on the oil and how much???

taslucas
7th March 2013, 06:48 PM
a mate had a hire company and he got a good deal on heaps of GW. In the end he switched back as all the small engines were chewing through it flat out. But this was for small engines not patrol boxes so i really have nothing to say haha!

NissanGQ4.2
7th March 2013, 07:11 PM
a mate had a hire company and he got a good deal on heaps of GW. In the end he switched back as all the small engines were chewing through it flat out. But this was for small engines not patrol boxes so i really have nothing to say haha!

Was he using the correct oil though????

taslucas
8th March 2013, 07:07 AM
Was he using the correct oil though????

Yeah he had the correct oil. Theres always one or two engines being serviced (whacka packers, lawn mowers, concrete saws, pumps etc) and he noticed that on a whole they were burning through the gulf western. But like I said this was engine oil for small engines. The box oil is probably different and you've said yours is fine Todd so I believe it's fine

FanTapstic!

mudnut
8th March 2013, 09:21 AM
Ok, thanks Tas. I'll try the GW. It is great to have a choice of stores in town again.

mudnut
18th March 2013, 12:34 PM
Spewing. Went back to grab the GW, and he's sold out. Got 4ltrs Nulon 75w 90. GLI 5. Dunno if he was telling the truth, but he reckoned it retailed for near on a hundred, and he dropped the price to seventy. Couldn't be bothered to go and get prices, blah blah. So I got it, and a pair of Oricom 80 channel handhelds, with batteries for $105 all up. Anyway, I'm spewing because I Jacked up the Trol and slithered under to change the Gear box oil. Stuffed if I couldn't get the drain plug out. Picture, if you will : Trolley jack holding the 1/2 inch ratchet up, and a piece of 2 1/2 inch metal tube about a metre long slipped on to the handle. I pulled and pushed, hammered and kicked the pipe, but the bloody plug didn't budge. I've had to book the mongrel into a mechanic.

NP99
18th March 2013, 12:46 PM
As much as I hate to recommend them, Supercheap sells GW oils.

mudnut
18th March 2013, 01:03 PM
Think the nearest store is 100 ks away. Any way, I bought a 10 tonne press off them, and the one I got was different to the one in the shop display. It always kicks sideways, so I had to modify it to tighten the tolerances. Cause I have a stuffed back, I modified it further to hold an old axe head and I use it to split my fire wood. Slow but easy. And I can strip it back to be used as a press.

Parksy
19th March 2013, 08:14 PM
Gl 4 spec is the go otherwise you will have accelerated synchro wear with the gl5 stuff. The softer yellow metals don't like the higher levels of sulphur/phosphorous in the gl5 stuff.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:0UlhTDQU-NkJ:www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf+&hl=en&gl=au&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESg3e3aR7QcMc9sqA3E0TV2RsuG9FckUm_JKQsaQ trd1GB1bhwH6AobwR1X2fYO2P_QtkXIJ9dv0mZUarm-B5Bfm54Gimw6z35at6y8JcPAhE4GX9OoVmupLNEgm6IdAoJQKp Q6N&sig=AHIEtbRf2ZPJsYv-XWUeWZKAeeNzQnZDCA

mudnut
19th March 2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks, Parksy. I am glad I haven't been able to get the drain plug out. I have to go back to get a new plug, so I'll get a gl4 oil. The Gl5 additive level wrecks the synchromesh.

kevin07
19th March 2013, 09:59 PM
I have used Gulf Western in my Auto Gearbox since my rebuild, no drama's with it

Old man is also using it in his GQ Auto Gearbox with no issues.

I had never heard of them before my rebuild, but could get it a bit cheaper because of an old works cash account with them, and since running it in my gearbox I have also changed my chainsaw bar oil over to gulf western as well :)

Good ol woollies engine oil will suffice for the chain bar oil used it for years in plenty of chainsaws when I worked in the hire industry

mudnut
20th March 2013, 02:05 PM
Ok, Totally confused now. Took the gl 5 back . Penrite recommends 75w 90, but it too is a gl5. A mech I talked to said he uses gl5 for all his servicing. The owners manual states that a 75w 90 gl4 should be used. The only oil avalable here in a gl4 is 70w or 75w 80. So what do I do now?

mudnut
21st March 2013, 10:25 AM
Now I feel like a complete goose. I shoulda rang Nulon first off. Straight from the horses mouth: 'We have resolved the issues of premature wear on the softer components and our 75w 90 5gl is the correct oil to use in your vehicle."

Gerry
22nd March 2013, 11:41 AM
Western Golf is crap oil

taslucas
22nd March 2013, 04:02 PM
Western Golf is crap oil

Care to elaborate or are you just getting your post count up??

FanTapstic!