PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 ?

04OFF
6th March 2013, 08:28 AM
I need to get a new netbook, the one im looking at is running windows 8,

Anyone using Windows 8 ? ,what do you think, have they gone forwards from 7, or backwards ?

thanks in advance

healy
6th March 2013, 08:43 AM
I personally don't know but have heard from others windows 8 is no good I'm happy with 7

Cuppa
6th March 2013, 08:50 AM
My last Windows machine was a 386 desktop running Windows98! Changed to a Mac & dislike Windows greatly. Wife's laptop has Windows7 professional on it, so I know I still dislike it.
This is a roundabout way of saying I am not a Windows expert .......BUT ...... I do know a few (Windows experts) & the word is that Windows 8 is best avoided, stick with 7.

Cuppa

Maxhead
6th March 2013, 09:45 AM
I think win8 might be ok for a phone or tablet but I find it annoying on a lappy.

Stick to win7 imo

.........on the move

King_ady1
6th March 2013, 09:50 AM
Windows 8 is designed for touch screen style devices and works wonderful at it. So any tablets or touch phones is alright. But and laptops or desktop pc's won't function to full capability.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

04OFF
6th March 2013, 10:06 AM
Windows 8 is designed for touch screen style devices and works wonderful at it. So any tablets or touch phones is alright. But and laptops or desktop pc's won't function to full capability.

It is a touch screen netbook, and great value compared to my other options suiting my requirements.

rkinsey
6th March 2013, 10:43 AM
Ah... the familiar sound when Microsoft brings a change to one of their operating systems..... (If only I had a dollar for every time this came up....)

Everyone has their differing opinions and thats a good thing. In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with Windows 8 on a laptop or desktop. Yes there are a few design attributes that may not work the same way on a laptop that they do on a tablet or touch screen notebook, but, it is still a viable operating system for any desktop or laptop out there today.

The single main difference (other than the technical changes made to the kernel and other systems) is the "Start Screen" Microsoft simply removed the "Start Menu" and changed it into a "Start Screen" and have added functionality to it such as real time updates to social media, Weather apps and email apps so you can quickly see what new information comes in without having to open the program and have a look.

You still have a desktop and applications and the directory structure is still the same as Windows 7. Switching between open applications can still be done through keyboard shortcuts the same as before, however, Microsoft brought back the "Active Zones" on the display and you can move your mouse cursor to different corners of the screen to bring up different shortcuts to be able to switch between applications quicker.

You can add or remove application shortcuts on the Start Screen and you can change the layout of the Start screen altogether to suit your needs. You can still create shortcuts on the desktop.

I have been testing Windows 8 for the past 6 months on an older Lenovo T500 laptop with 2 GB RAM and it installed without any issues, all drivers were installed and the performance is quite good.

Once you get used to the new interface you will be fine. It took me a little to get used to but once I learned where everything was, it was hard to go back to Win7.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Cheers,

Rob

NissanGQ4.2
6th March 2013, 04:18 PM
DOS all the way baby :)

taslucas
6th March 2013, 06:22 PM
DOS all the way baby :)

or is that D'OH (like homer)

Wine_maker
6th March 2013, 11:11 PM
We have one corporate notebook with Win 8.
Win 8 is not bad if your notebook have touchscreen. If no, your wife will know about it soon and she will like it! (if you understand what I'm talking about LOL )
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/1.png

happygu
6th March 2013, 11:16 PM
I'm sure you will like Windows8.

I know that I didn't like XP before I used it, and I didn't like Windows7 before I used it too.

I have 7 at the moment, and when I go back to XP, it now feels archaic.

Mic

04OFF
7th March 2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, i went and got the Windows 8 netbook, to be honest im just sick of looking around at PCs, I admit to being stuck in my ways and resistant to change, so im a little cautious.

I always had issues with every windows program up until 7, ive had a few PCs with windows 7 ,me and 7 got on very well, and i never found myself throwing the PC on the ground in frustration (this may or may not have happened before ,lol) nor did i ever have to get "assistance" from my nerd mate.

Windows 8 so far seems OK, i had to get rid of all the Microsoft Account login rubbish they try very hard to make you use, windows 8 wants to download stuff all the time (suggested music etc) so had to stop that from happening as well.

Once its set up to NOT download stuff, without permission, and i can bin all the rubbish apps that are more suited to teenagers, ill be a bit happier (lol) but after that, really im left with no real benefits i can see, other than a Touch screen PC.

At this stage, if my PC did not have a touch screen, id say windows 8 has no real noticeable gain over 7 for me,(ionly had it a day) but i do really like the way the touch screen works, it adds pleasure to PC usage, some of it is novelty factor, but other actions, such as browsing the net, is great , especially good for laptop users when lying on the couch and you cant see the keyboard :clapping:

wouldnot
16th March 2013, 03:57 PM
I've heard it's good for touchscreens and useless for desktops.