PDA

View Full Version : Cape York - Wheels- Alloy or steel.

Tonks
6th March 2013, 06:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Going up the cape in July,

Someone mentioned to me to put a set of steel rims on instead of the factory alloys,

What do you all reckon,

Pros & Cons,

Cheers,

Tonks.

nissannewby
6th March 2013, 06:29 AM
I dont know about the factory ones but I will be running a set of allied alloys up there is august. Careful driving when up there will help, it generally takes a rather forceful hit to damage wheels especially with the tyres 4wd's run. Im sure someone has done it with the factory alloys and will be along shortly.

threedogs
6th March 2013, 06:31 AM
Both would be ok but for bushability steel rims would be better IMO
your Rim/tyre combo will take a pounding

BigRAWesty
6th March 2013, 06:51 AM
Take your time and alloys will be fine..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

macca86
6th March 2013, 06:51 AM
Drive at the tyre pressure to suit the conditions and don't rush you should be fine

Maxhead
6th March 2013, 07:17 AM
What's wrong with alloys?
As said above, drive to conditions with correct pressures and remember to check your nuts occasionally.

We did the Cape in our factory standard tyres/rims. Nothing too extreme but hey got a work out.

.........on the move

lorrieandjas
6th March 2013, 10:11 AM
Personally I've thrown steel rims on for the trip in August - however I have talked to heaps of people who have done it on factory alloys. There are a heap of videos on YouTube as well showing later model GU Patrols doing it on factory alloys and no lifts.

Jas

threedogs
6th March 2013, 03:27 PM
Been thinking about this for a while ,but the only reason I'd use steelies is just in case I stuffed an alloy one
[read bad scratch ] on a creek crossing, but with care it shouldn't be a problem.. Roads aren't that bad compared to '83
but they were ok back then, Gun shot was "doable" in any 4x4. I hope to make it this year leaving mid to late August.

Steve4wdin
6th March 2013, 06:32 PM
This is my opinion for what it's worth. For sand type driving alloys are the go as they don't rust. Normally no rocks and very low tyre presures. For rocky terain and extream off road, steel rims are better. If you damage a steel rim in the middle of no where you can generally get it back into shape. Alloys are dead as they generally crack. However, as stated above, you drive carefully it can be done on alloys.
Steve

Tonks
6th March 2013, 07:30 PM
thanks guys,

i will leave the alloys on and save the cuppla hundred and buy more amber liquid.

megatexture
6th March 2013, 08:44 PM
What alloys do you have? The newer ones? If its the newer one sell them before they get all scratched and damaged and get some steels and you will have more$ in your pocket, I've seen the alloys sell for 250ea on eBay and a new king rim will only cost you 110 + fitting