PDA

View Full Version : Accessing the Murray - Will this crazy idea work???

AB
5th March 2013, 02:18 PM
Ok I need some ideas thrown around if possible.

My inlaws bought one of those little units in a shared complex up in Moama right on the Murray. The issue is that every single unit along there have their own expensive custom made steel fabricated stair case going down with their own Jetty.

Unfortunately they don't have one or have enough money to make one so I'm trying to conjure up ideas on a cheap but effective way for them to access the river right in front of them.

Apparently they are suppose to share the staircase on the next door neighbours block but they have padlocked the gate and said its all theres...LMAO.....Can't wait to see them this weekend but anyways....

I'm trying to come up with ideas so any help appreciated!!!

Problem being is....The unit is only 4 metres away from the edge but the bank is a steep 3.5m ish drop down to the rivers edge with another 2-3m of 1 foot slop (depending upon river) to the water.

So you have to have some way down and need a jetty....You can't just get a pull away ladder/stair case thing to to the banks as Its quicksand.

Below is my wacked out idea using 2 x C Channels welded together followed by a cage and wheels inside the channel using a small jetty and barrel with a pivoting system and a winch to pull yourself up and down.

Not even sure this would work but it looks awesome...LMAO:1087::1087::1087::1087:

Any cheap ideas on getting access????

Sir Roofy
5th March 2013, 02:33 PM
Thats workable and out of the way when the river rises

AB
5th March 2013, 02:53 PM
Is there a body corporate AB? If so have a chat if its meant to be shared access. Bolt cutters also a good idea. Lets see who's got the most stamina in this dispute! You lock, I cut!

Your design looks good but there's cost/maintenance issues involved that your inlaws may not need to be subject to.

I know mate the body corp is a senior bloke who "doesn't know anything" and my inlaws are too polite to say anything either.

Its just a shame we head up there and all we can do is look at the river!

My concern is gunk getting caught in the channel and or the winch stopping whilst they are half way up, then they would be in trouble at their age!

NissanGQ4.2
5th March 2013, 03:02 PM
Cut there padlock off and put you own on, that will teach em a lesson :):):)

AB
5th March 2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks Plassy, I might do a friendly chat to them this weekend and see what they say too.

threedogs
5th March 2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah would work great but can see huge oh&s issues plus insurance,
I'd be grabbing some bolt cutters or seeing Body corporate,
Good to see some decent fish in the river,

Sir Roofy
5th March 2013, 03:29 PM
thanks plassy, i might do a friendly chat to them this weekend and see what they say too.

that,l keep you busy for today sifting through that lot

stevogq
5th March 2013, 03:52 PM
lets go down and sort things out the old fashioned way and then catch some cod :)

edit: also like the mr hanky touch lol

macca86
5th March 2013, 03:52 PM
My cheaper idea is a sturdy pair of bolt cutters as if its deemed common ground according to body corp they have no rights to do that

Alitis007
5th March 2013, 04:07 PM
Heres an idea but it might not work for the inlaws tho, a rope swing!!

But seriously how much would it cost to make a staircase by a company?? And how much just for materials ?? Or alternatively we unbolt the staircase from the neighbors unit and attach it to your inlaws place??

taslucas
5th March 2013, 04:12 PM
Maybe you could keep an eye out for a stair set up that's been removed in a demolition? Plenty of stairs and fire exits on old industrial buildings. Maybe pick one up cheap before the place gets scrapped?

FanTapstic!

wildgu6
5th March 2013, 04:22 PM
Your idea looks workable Andy, but could be a bit of work for the outlaws depending on age ???.
Got a good way down, but getting up could be a prob'.
Get one of your jumping castles down the bottom and Bombs away.
Is there a tree there you could hook up a winchavator to, (elevator run by winch cables)
Seriously though if its suppose to be shared access, have a chat to them, they may be quite cooperative if you state a few legal points to them, did the previous occupants have any issues???

You may be able to pick up one of those belt conveyours the roofys and brickies use, suss out 2nd hand machinery joints, fleebay and palmtree as well.

Alternatively we could have the next meet up there and show them a good time lol, good luck mate

TAPPN OUT

AB
5th March 2013, 06:38 PM
I was going to build it for them mate so it needs to be simple...lmao

Winnie
5th March 2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks Plassy, I might do a friendly chat to them this weekend and see what they say too.

How about you get the 5 biggest forum members and we pay a visit to next door! hahahahaha kidding of course.

04OFF
5th March 2013, 08:08 PM
Yeh , get some boys to stay at the their place every weekend, they can stay up all night outside making a racket, make it clear they are "only" invited there to help the old people down to the water every weekend.

Now, If only the old people had the use of some stairs........... :clapping:

megatexture
5th March 2013, 08:47 PM
I'm liking the bolt cutters, but seeing as they will just lock it again I think I'd grind off the hinges and leave it locked but wide open .. Problem solved

happygu
5th March 2013, 10:19 PM
AB

Looks good, but would it not be cheaper to just weld treads on the staircase.....

Mic

AB
9th March 2013, 07:15 AM
26715 here's what I'm talking about anyway...lol

Love it up here!!!!

growler2058
9th March 2013, 07:52 AM
Tell the neighbours to stop being c$%^& or

AB
9th March 2013, 08:02 AM
They're not here this weekend. Might do some relocating...lol

growler2058
9th March 2013, 08:15 AM
They're not here this weekend. Might do some relocating...lol

Do you mean re-lockating

Winnie
9th March 2013, 08:39 AM
Nah just move the stairs over to your inlaws yard!

Blownlc
9th March 2013, 11:16 AM
If it were me, I'd put on 10kg's of chops 7 slabs, hand the boys a shovel each, and cut steps into the bank. And if your after real longevity just add rio and concrete on day 2,3,4 and 5! : )

LESS YAP YAP, MORE TAP TAP!!

AB
9th March 2013, 01:03 PM
Wtf all I'm seeing is 18 year old kids driving $40000 speed boats and seadoos every 5 minutes.

MudRunnerTD
9th March 2013, 02:31 PM
Crazy stuff hey

AB
9th March 2013, 04:04 PM
I've got a $59 blow up boat...lmao

I look like a tool...bahaha

Bloodyaussie
9th March 2013, 04:16 PM
I've got a $59 blow up boat...lmao

I look like a tool...bahaha

And thats why I love ya baby!!!!!!!!!!!

You enjoy your $59 boat knowing you worked to pay for it yourself!!!

Winnie
9th March 2013, 05:15 PM
And I bet you're having a better time on that $59 boat than those blokes in their daddy's boats.