PDA

View Full Version : Torque of steering bushes

79raven
4th March 2013, 10:45 PM
Car: 1983 Mq SWB Sd33 with power steering.

I have only driven this thing twice and found its got a wandering steering, where the car will be going straight and then all of a sudden it will swerve one way or the other ( very scary on narrow roads on such a big beast). I dont think its the bearings as there is zero shudder under braking. I looked under the front end and have noticed the bushes are not 100% but not that bad. In saying that though I can physically rock the relay rod and tie rod tube towards the front and back of the car on the bushes themselves. I will be getting a wheel alignment done very soon, but I want to tighten the bushes on both sides of the relay rod and possibly the ball joints before. Is there a specific torque for the bolts on these bushes?

79raven
5th March 2013, 01:39 PM
I think the bloke has put a 2" lift on the leaf coils and thats why they are out of adjustment. Really need this info people please. Im lost to know what the spec's are and it may be a stupid question or common knowledge but I am not that smart Im sorry. Advise would be appreciaed
Raven

threedogs
5th March 2013, 03:56 PM
Give complete front a few pumps with grease gun, those bits you talking about, just nip and back off 1/2 a turn.
Not that critical if the same as I'm thinking

79raven
5th March 2013, 10:26 PM
Cheers mate. Im use to rack and pinion stuff and it is all double dutch to me down there. I should take a picture or 2 and post it up, Ill do what you said tomorrow and replace the split pins and take a few pictures while Im down there.
Thank you