PDA

View Full Version : turbo lag / black smoke / no power

dirtygu
4th March 2013, 05:46 PM
hey guys well i finnaly got my patrol its a 2001 3.0ltr the guy upgraded the turbo but the car was running rough. So i got it at a good price but have since fitted a boost gauge and have found out that its not boosting past 10psi and its blowing black smoke under acceleration no idea why i have looked at heaps of threads on here and tryed a few things but cant seam to put my finger on it though maybe injector pump ???

BigRAWesty
4th March 2013, 06:05 PM
I'd be first up getting a good tune up..
Possible over fueling I'd say. Maybe previous owner did a DIY tune..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

happygu
4th March 2013, 06:25 PM
Is that upgraded the Turbo, or replaced the Turbo with a new one?

macca86
4th March 2013, 06:38 PM
there is no upgrade of the turbo on a zd30 you either replace the old one or you change the turbo froma vnt to a standard turbo if it's a standard spool up type it'll need tuned if it's a vnt turbo you have a bad boost leak prob a split hose or leaky intercooler.

BillsGU
4th March 2013, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a leak in the intercooler or the IC hoses have come off. Check where the hose comes out of the turbo. It is a common place to leak and is hard to get at.

WYLD333
4th March 2013, 07:17 PM
Yep as stated above definatley sounds like a leaking intercooler or blown hose ect

Sir Roofy
4th March 2013, 07:36 PM
yep as stated above definatley sounds like a leaking intercooler or blown hose ect

sounds as if thats it and clean the maf with m.a.f cleaner from repco or supercheap

Lieney
4th March 2013, 09:16 PM
I'd clean the MAF, pull the intercooler & all inlet hoses.
Check for splits etc & clean the. all inside etc.
If you're tight like me u can pull the OEM intercooler apart & use gasket adhesive to re-seal it. Works a treat.
Check ya air cleaner, fuel filter etc
A good engine service would be a good idea.

dirtygu
5th March 2013, 09:09 AM
cheers guys it is a new turbo dont know exactly if its a standard or a vnt it says its a garrett m24 so ????????? and yeas i can hear a noise sounds like a leak its coming from behind the engine possable egr pipe ???? what do i clean the inter cooler out with ?????

threedogs
5th March 2013, 09:16 AM
Really need to NADS your 4x4 asap
fit boost and EGT guages, block EGR.
fit manual boost controller and needle valve.
remove clean and check IC for leaks
As suggested clean MAF check all vacuum and turbo hoses
replace any split or perished ones

Do you know if Chip is fitted????

macca86
5th March 2013, 09:58 AM
Degreaser petrol kerosene just make sure its dry befor you install it

dirtygu
5th March 2013, 11:23 AM
Really need to NADS your 4x4 asap
fit boost and EGT guages, block EGR.
fit manual boost controller and needle valve.
remove clean and check IC for leaks
As suggested clean MAF check all vacuum and turbo hoses
replace any split or perished ones

Do you know if Chip is fitted????

ok first of all im still new so whats NADS ???
second it has a bvoost gauge im working on the egt one
how do you test the ic for leaks
and isnt the boost contoller and needle valve the same
and no it does not have a chip fitted

cheers Anthony

WYLD333
5th March 2013, 04:09 PM
Start the car and give it a bit of gas and feel around the intercooler, you'll soon find where the leak is.
If its a big leak you will notice you'll prob b droping boost on your gauge aswel.
As for the hoses mate have a good lock around and you'll soon spot if something doesnt look right and you will also hear a hissing noise whisle driving

threedogs
5th March 2013, 04:21 PM
By NADDING your GU you control the boost, best thing ever.
you'll never overboost ,the needle valve will control spool up rate
different to Dawes valve. Pop Mudski a PM for pricing on all the bits
required, including EGR block. Then once guages fitted you'll see whats happening
instead of guessing, Plenty written on this subject, search Chaz yellowfoot [guru]
Great peace of mind for any Direct injection zd30

mudski
5th March 2013, 07:41 PM
and yeas i can hear a noise sounds like a leak its coming from behind the engine possable egr pipe ????
Remove all the IC hoses and check for leaks. Being over 10 years old no doubt the IC hoses will be worse for wear.
If your IC is leaking you will see it. Check the top of the engine for oil deosits and check the under side of the IC for oily patches. Number one visual give away of a leaking cooler. If its the EGR, usually, it will give off a squeal when the engine warms up. Like I said, usually. Some have mistaken the EGR leaking for a belt squeal.

dirtygu
6th March 2013, 12:44 PM
Remove all the IC hoses and check for leaks. Being over 10 years old no doubt the IC hoses will be worse for wear.
If your IC is leaking you will see it. Check the top of the engine for oil deosits and check the under side of the IC for oily patches. Number one visual give away of a leaking cooler. If its the EGR, usually, it will give off a squeal when the engine warms up. Like I said, usually. Some have mistaken the EGR leaking for a belt squeal.

Cheers mudski yeah its squeeling coming from exhaust manifold no 4 cay i just put the car in today the get compression test done as my mech has a gu4 and he thinks mine is only running on 3 i hope not

threedogs
6th March 2013, 02:53 PM
Any news from the mechanics yet ??

mudski
6th March 2013, 04:19 PM
Cheers mudski yeah its squeeling coming from exhaust manifold no 4 cay i just put the car in today the get compression test done as my mech has a gu4 and he thinks mine is only running on 3 i hope not
I got my money on a warped EGR pipe if its squealing. Actually, which side of the engine?

dirtygu
6th March 2013, 05:37 PM
Its on the turbo side mudski no 4 cyl exhaust gasket at the top

Ok got car back compression reads as this. 1) 400 (2)400 (3)100 (4)50
They think its just valve adjustment i took it to hi tech diesel
So yeah now i dont know what to do

happygu
6th March 2013, 06:21 PM
Don't want to be the bringer of bad news but no compression on 3 and 4 doesn't look good for the pistons, especially since it is an early 3 litre ......
Mic

dirtygu
6th March 2013, 06:32 PM
Yeah i know im hoping its just a head as its using a lil coolant to but yeah i dont know as the engine runs fine at 110 on a flat bit of rdif it was only on 2 it would struggle wouldnt it

happygu
6th March 2013, 07:25 PM
Yeah i know im hoping its just a head as its using a lil coolant to but yeah i dont know as the engine runs fine at 110 on a flat bit of rdif it was only on 2 it would struggle wouldnt it

That seems to be good news for you as if you have holes in the pistons i don't think that 110 is a possibility

dirtygu
6th March 2013, 11:18 PM
ok well thats good news i hope it made it on a 700km round tip on the weekend like this so maybe it is just a head or something

mudski
7th March 2013, 08:11 AM
Its on the turbo side mudski no 4 cyl exhaust gasket at the top

Ok got car back compression reads as this. 1) 400 (2)400 (3)100 (4)50 :jawdrop:
They think its just valve adjustment i took it to hi tech diesel
So yeah now i dont know what to do
That doesn't look good. Lets hope its the head.

threedogs
7th March 2013, 08:20 AM
Number 3 and 4 down a lot not good , Start getting your NADS
together .
If motor was U/S it would be shaking its head off, may well be valve
adjustment, hope for you it is.

dirtygu
7th March 2013, 09:34 AM
the motor shakes a lil bit but only on idle so yeah hope it is just the valves

mudski
7th March 2013, 07:34 PM
Too late for the NAD's TD I reckon. Once the damage is done, its done. Got my fingers crossed for ya mate.

nickpeacock36
7th March 2013, 09:34 PM
Mine ran fine when it was busted. Ended up needing a complete rebuild. Hope it works out for you mate.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

dirtygu
9th March 2013, 12:26 AM
Mine ran fine when it was busted. Ended up needing a complete rebuild. Hope it works out for you mate.

what speeds could ya do nick and was it blowing smoke ????????

happygu
9th March 2013, 08:08 AM
Dirty,

The longer you run it like it is, the more chance you have of doing more damage....time to lift the head off and take a look, or take it to someone you trust to do it.

Mic

nickpeacock36
9th March 2013, 11:33 AM
Only way i knew i had problems was that the coolant was getting pressurised and coming out through the hole in the over flow bottle.

nickpeacock36
9th March 2013, 11:46 AM
Wasnt blowing smoke either. I never noticed any and nobody ever commented on it anyway.

dirtygu
11th March 2013, 09:22 PM
ok so i pulled it down today to find that my intake bolts were all loose and the turbo bolts done them all up and it ran so much better. Then i undone the exhaust from the dump pipe and found out that my exhaust is full of soot hence the smoke. I then put all back together and it ran like new but keept hitting 18psi boost only drove 2km went home and as i was comming up my street it suddenly lost all power and is really non responsive and blows heaps of smoke ??????

has it finally given up and called it quits i hope not ?????

nickpeacock36
12th March 2013, 10:23 AM
If its spiking up to 18 it could be quickly going into limp mode. Does it go ok once you release your foot off the pedal and go again?

dirtygu
13th March 2013, 07:14 PM
no it doesnt and it struggles to get to 2k rpm but then its fine up to 4 When i first start it every time i cant rev the engine the pedal just wont do anything for the forst 3 mins of start up it just idles could it b a ecu fault or even a fuel pump ?????

macca86
13th March 2013, 07:23 PM
Throttle position sensor it sounds like to me. Had any water or muddy feet in the cab. How is your naff sensor boost and egt temps

happygu
13th March 2013, 07:24 PM
Dirty - are you near Mt Barker in SA?

Maybe one of our esteemed colleages near you may be able to help. If you can get two identical cars together, you may be able to check for any differences in the setup for the Turbo......it might have been adjusted wrong

Is the cylinder compression tests still all over the place?

Mic

nickpeacock36
13th March 2013, 07:27 PM
Could be fuel pump. When mine went the car goes into a limp mode. I could just drive it but engine wouldnt rev up.

boots
13th March 2013, 07:32 PM
Yes it may be your fuel pump . I would reduce your boost say 13 - 15 tops , fit egr blanking plate and replace your MAF . For less than $200 it eliminates a couple of things . JMO .

dirtygu
13th March 2013, 09:08 PM
thanks guys no water in the cab i just went out to start the car and it started and then it stalled after about 30 sec i tryed to restart the car only to have it stall after about 5 sec then after the 3rd attemp to start the car it wont run longer than about 2 sec without it stalling im leaning towards fuelpump

macca86
13th March 2013, 09:26 PM
Good luck say goodbye to 3000 hope it's not for your sake

WYLD333
15th March 2013, 09:11 PM
Hate to b the bearer of bad news mate but if those compression readings are correct there ain't nothing a new injector pump is going to do 4 u, u may have a fuel issue aswel but for readings that low you either have a cracked head, piston, valves, possibly crankshaft, I'd b doing another comp test and if u get the same results its time to start looking at heads and then diving in deeper....

happygu
15th March 2013, 09:18 PM
Will it run if you keep pumping the primer....

That will give you an indication that it could be that the pump is no good.

If there are still problems with compression and possibly the pump, I would be looking at finding a good late model 3L Di motor from a wrecked 2005-2006 and drop it in. Fixed....

dirtygu
16th March 2013, 12:14 AM
i think they done the comp test wrong as the car started to run better when i fixed all the intake and exhaust leaks and had the valves re done !!!!!!!

i started the car today and it actually started but still same thing wont rev up just idles and idles vary rough lol push the go pedal and nothing just still idles i know ill need a new engine soon but wanted to wait a bit as i wanna do a 4.2 conversion just cant work out why the accelerator pedal wont work ????

WYLD333
16th March 2013, 12:49 PM
Comp test is a very easy thing to do so I would assume they have done it right, considering they have got good readings out of 2 of the cylinders

happygu
16th March 2013, 01:42 PM
i think they done the comp test wrong as the car started to run better when i fixed all the intake and exhaust leaks and had the valves re done !!!!!!!

i started the car today and it actually started but still same thing wont rev up just idles and idles vary rough lol push the go pedal and nothing just still idles i know ill need a new engine soon but wanted to wait a bit as i wanna do a 4.2 conversion just cant work out why the accelerator pedal wont work ????

Will it keep running if you keep priming the pump...

dirtygu
18th March 2013, 05:07 PM
it run when priming amd when im not priming the pump just cant use the accelerator pedal could it be possable injector issue

macca86
18th March 2013, 05:23 PM
Maybe check your throttle position sensor. When my or failed it wouldn't rev then stamp on it several times then would rev then back off it would stall or rev fought cough and splutter