PDA

View Full Version : Jerry cans

wildgu6
2nd March 2013, 06:54 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what is better in Jerry cans, metal or plastic????
What's everybody's preference and the pros and cons.

Cheers Pete

TAPPN OUT

Maxhead
2nd March 2013, 06:55 PM
I would go plastic anyday. Just can't stand the metal latches seizing up and rusting

.........on the move

wildgu6
2nd March 2013, 07:00 PM
I would go plastic anyday. Just can't stand the metal latches seizing up and rusting

.........on the move

Yer was thinkin that, And rattling, Cheers Kris, and you do a lot of trek in so your opinion is well regarded, cheers mate

TAPPN OUT

Bigrig
2nd March 2013, 07:05 PM
Mine are plastic - yep, they can wear through quick if you don't have some double sided foam/rubber in the mount, but no rattling, no rusting, and generally less leakage ...

Just tap it in ... taaapp it in ....

Cuppa
2nd March 2013, 07:28 PM
We travelled half way around the country with metal jerries, & I got sick of them leaking & making a mess. Tried making some new gaskets in Karumba, didn't work. Bought some new gaskets in Albany, didn't work. Bought some Plastic Jerries in Exmouth.No more problem. Have used smaller plastc jerries (5 litre & 10 litre) that were cheap - false economy. get the good ones in the first place.

wildgu6
2nd March 2013, 07:36 PM
SOLD, Plastic it will be, 4 well travelled lads *L* well 3 and a roughy lol. Highly regard you fellas opinions. so done, plastic it is.

TAPPN OUT

megatexture
2nd March 2013, 07:44 PM
I've got metal ones and never had them leak( I have the space to keep them upright) apart from using one of the spouts so I use a jiggler/ syphon now.the only issue I've with them is weight .

I have had a roo strike on the side of my camper previously and it hit one of the jerrycans and suffered no damage,if it was a plastic one I'm sure it would have split or busted it as it twisted the jerrycan holder in a way I had to cut it out.

Bloodyaussie
2nd March 2013, 08:35 PM
I prefer plastic but dont go the cheap ones... I had one split and spew petrol out... did not notice at first!!!

pearcey
2nd March 2013, 10:13 PM
Pete if you get plastic and want to use a pump try for large fillers they are available. Some pumps wont fit in the smaller fillers

happygu
2nd March 2013, 10:51 PM
I'll stick my hand up in favour of the plastic jerry cans too.

My old metal one was terrible, whereas the plastic one seems to seal better and just work.

Still got the do the sensible things and stick the filler for the jerry can as high as possible just in case you do have a leak.

Mic

04OFF
2nd March 2013, 10:58 PM
Plastic, i had two empty 25L ones on my roof when i rolled the car, and after a day out in the sun to get the creases out, they are totally fine !

the evil twin
3rd March 2013, 01:31 PM
Plastic.

I switched to plastic about 5 years ago. 4 X 20 litre Diesel and 2 X 25 litre water...

Yet to have a leak or a spill altho I am sure something will happen sometime, somewhere but I rate the placcy ones

GUtsy ute
3rd March 2013, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=megatexture;340350]I've got metal ones and never had them leak( I have the space to keep them upright) apart from using one of the spouts so I use a jiggler/ syphon now.the only issue I've with them is weight .

X2 on this.

I recently went to buy two extra jerrys for my next trip and wanted to try the plastic ones.
Only problem was I couldn't get ones the right size to fit the holders on my camper trailer
as height and width are fixed.

I think good quality plastic ones are the way to go these days, just check the sizes if you have existing
holders made for metal ones.

Of the two brands I looked at, one was too tall and the other too wide.

No doubt there are ones the same size as metal ones, but I couldn't find any at the time.

threedogs
3rd March 2013, 05:27 PM
Dolium and Pro-Quip sell plastic fuel storage jerry cans,
Vary your sizes so you dont lose the lot. Usually carpet and duct tape
will keep them holefree