PDA

View Full Version : after market Intercooler fans

BradWill
1st March 2013, 11:34 PM
am wondering if anyone has knowledge about these, in particular if there is one available for GU Td 4.2 06 model and if they are worth fitting or other info. you could share.

maverick01
2nd March 2013, 06:11 PM
Hi mate, Im in the process of doing the same thing.

There is a fair few good articles on here relationg to installing the fan. I was lucky enough to be given a davies craig fan just perfect for the job.

kevin07
2nd March 2013, 09:48 PM
i have just started investigating this now and have come up with the spal 9" pulling fan its on ebay but believe ashdown inghams have them as well and from what i have read they pull more air then the davies craig.

BradWill
3rd March 2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys - this will give me a starting point

maverick01
3rd March 2013, 08:46 AM
The spal is a better fan then the davies craig but the fan i got was free so i will try it and if its no good then it will be replaced with a spal fan.

kevin07
3rd March 2013, 08:52 PM
davies craig is definately up to the job required be free is always the best but if you have to fork out the coin.buy the stronger one

mudski
5th March 2013, 08:08 PM
To be honest, unless you do sand driving, don't waste your time. At speed, the IC will pull in more air than a fan will. Whilst in low range you will have plenty of torque in the motor that you wont even need the extra power that you might expect a fan on the IC will give.
The only time I would put an IC fan on is if I were to install an Intercooler that will really benefit from it. A better quality IC would more beneficial but $$$$ to do so. In my opinion, the fan will just block the flow of the free air needed to flow through the IC. I don't think I have seen anyone say a fan has been actually beneficial.
But each to their own. I am more than happy to each my words and to be proven wrong but this is what we are all about hey. Modding, modding and more modding.
When its done I would be real keen to see any feedback on how it goes.

BradWill
22nd March 2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys - all good food for thought

nissannewby
23rd March 2013, 12:11 AM
You will get better results by scrapping the factory intercooler altogether.

threedogs
23rd March 2013, 07:54 AM
Asked this Question a while back and the concensus was not required
Have you looked at the bigger scoops for more air???

Lieney
23rd March 2013, 10:56 PM
I've seen aftermarket ones $1700 for intercooler, hoses and fan. Very expensive IMO but I have not seen dyno results to see if that sort of coin gives a suitable increase in power, decrease in fuel etc etc
Is there a bigger bonnet scoop, somewhat near legal, that fits into the existing scoop location?
I read a thread somewhere about limited to no air passing through under about 40km from memory.

Wizard52
25th March 2013, 02:02 PM
Noticed a while ago that only the back half of my factory intercooler is discoloured where as the front half is spotless.
This suggests that only the back half of the intercooler has air passing through it.
Standard scoop with Nissan bullbar so perhaps air flow over bonnet is disrupted (or is that disturbed) so perhaps a fan of some sort
would help increase volume of air at all speeds.

Sir Roofy
25th March 2013, 05:04 PM
I dont think theres any real benifit in the fan as mudski said then as nissannewby says a bigger one is the go but can you justify the dollars spent,unless your competing, towing over 2t or in the desert daily i had one on my truck for 12months and was asked if there was any difference with it,no was my answer hence its in the shed but thats just my opion

Old Wal
25th March 2013, 06:13 PM
Lots of info regarding your question on ARE cooling website ( Aluminium Radiators & Engineering P/L ). I am going to get one of their IC & stealth scoops through Guests 4WD - when the wife finally decides that she has bought enough furniture!