PDA

View Full Version : Sh!tbox Maverick owner from Tassie saying gday

Greazer
1st March 2013, 01:12 AM
Hows everyone going?....Sweet.

Hello everyone that will probably giving me a crap loud of advice in the near future.
New to the world of Patrol/Mavericks, Been driving a dirty old 4Cyl Pajero but i cracked the head so now while im starting to put a turbod efi 2.6 Saturn in it (when i can find the parts) ive found myself a old 89 Maverick, Auto 4.2 on Petrol/Gas, DEAD STOCK, Apart for a alloy bullbar, think they may be a factory option though.

When i got her it was puerly going to be a tow bus/get around car because i heard bad things but i got it cheap (swapped a ed coonbus) so i got it anyway. Now ive taken it bush, i kinda like it.

Before i get into what i want to do to her, i was hoping for general advice, pros/cons and what to and not to do, do? What are the Auto boxs like? What will i brake etc?

Also, i want this to be good in the scrub and mudd, but also still driveable on the road, whats the best way to go about this.

Was planning, 2" Spring/Shock, 2" Body and 33s for starters, How bigger can i go before ridiculous on the road?

And, one last thing.....is Iron Man Suspension any good? I apologise if this is tooooooo much for an introduction, but, im new and confused, so, sorry. Cheers Guys!

Clunk
1st March 2013, 01:35 AM
Gday Greazer, welcome aboard mate............ best bit of advice I can give you..... turf the pajero and keep the coin for the Trol.
33s and 2in lift would do ya in most instances. Can't say anything about iron man, never used them but some people like them, some think they're crap. I just went with OME

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk HD

Greazer
1st March 2013, 02:02 AM
Cheers Clunk, The Paj is going to be just for fun now mainly, but, it is cheaper to run. Im really debating putting 33s on now thinking about it and scrolling through the forum, where i live in Tassie the only real 4x4 tracks that are slightly close have been stuffed by blokes with the bigger is better wheels, and i want to get through there. Would a 2" Body and 2" Spring lift be enough to run 35s? And any idea of the capabilities of the Auto box handling 35s?

Do Mavericks come stock with a lsd? Because, mine basically has a rear locker.

growler2058
1st March 2013, 03:53 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice
If its got a tear locker it'll be open wheels rear (all are with locker option) the patrol LSD Is one of the best if not the est on the market
Your patrol will sh1t all over the paj

Sent from the crapper while on tappa

my third 256
1st March 2013, 04:26 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

MEGOMONSTER
1st March 2013, 04:39 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

BigRAWesty
1st March 2013, 05:50 AM
Welcome mate. Yea a 2+2 lift will see 35's under it, nut 2" body does create a few other issues. Of the top of my head, you'll need
Extended brake lines, modify the low range stick, new guard infills,and stock bars look crap due to a now 2" gap between them and the bar...

If you want minimal out put go a 2+2, bit ideally if you can go a staight good quality 4" lift kit with drop boxes..
I have also heard good and bad things about iron man.

Also no reason to keep the paja now. Sell it for coin on the real car, and run 2 sets of tyres. 31's as your run shouts and 35's for play time...
Or ultimately with so soon lump sum (paja sale) you could go diff reduction gears with diff lockers, and run 33's everyday and 37's for play time....:D

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
1st March 2013, 05:55 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum, mate brought a Paj cause it was cheap, we ended naming it the "trowel"
Turf it, Enjoy

Airstrike
1st March 2013, 06:22 AM
Welocme aboard the forum mate.

Bloodyaussie
1st March 2013, 07:00 AM
Welcome aboard mate.................

Greazer
1st March 2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the advice, no ones likes the good old Paj haha

The main reason im going 2+2 is because theres a bloke wrecking a GQ with 2+2 with ironman springs and shocks and i can get the body and spring lift for 350, otherwise id do a 4" spring lift but surely you have to replace ALOT more.

And i cant sell the Paj, i need two cars for when one breaks

AB
1st March 2013, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

Maxhead
1st March 2013, 09:19 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

healy
1st March 2013, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Bigrig
1st March 2013, 02:39 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Just tap it in ... taaapp it in ....

wildgu6
1st March 2013, 09:53 PM
G'day buddy, Welcome aboard.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people

Enjoy, cheers Pete

TAPPN OUT

cr31
1st March 2013, 10:13 PM
Welcome aboard

Northern Lad
2nd March 2013, 05:22 PM
Welcome to the form. Personally forget about the body lift, especially if your planning on doing tracks that need 35's, a quality 4" would be the go. Goodluck.

Greazer
2nd March 2013, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the form. Personally forget about the body lift, especially if your planning on doing tracks that need 35's, a quality 4" would be the go. Goodluck.

Cheers mate, i literally JUST put a post up asking about suspension too haha