PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure

Ryan Smith
1st March 2013, 01:40 AM
i have a maverick with a td42 non turbo with 333 000 ks in it. my oil guage in the car every now and then drops to nearly 0 but no oil light comes on. just wondering if the guage is getting abit faulty or if i have further problems. motor sounds good no knocking or anything like that. has anyone come across this before? any suggestions would be appreciated

Bloodyaussie
1st March 2013, 08:13 AM
Mate you need to head over to the intro section and say g'day.

Helpful and friendly bunch here but you need to tell us about yourself and say g'day!!!!!

taslucas
1st March 2013, 08:35 AM
Gday Ryan, yeah jump over and say gday in the intro thread. But in the meantime, yes the oil pressure sender unit is know to be quite faulty whether it's from water crossing, mud, dust etc.
Mine has a mind of its own.
You can either replace with another sender unit or put a T piece in and run a separate aftermarket oil pressure gauge into the can.
Personally I've just left mine lol

FanTapstic!

Ryan Smith
3rd March 2013, 12:54 AM
will do that oil switch is new any probs with oil pumps that anyone knows about

dom14
3rd March 2013, 03:40 AM
will do that oil switch is new any probs with oil pumps that anyone knows about

Mine's got the same problem(RB30 motor). It's not likely a faulty oil pump. sender unit is right next to the oil filter on the block, under the inlet manifold. Access to it is bit tricky. For that reason, I haven't replaced it yet, even though I got another sender unit.
I'm not sure whether it's exactly the same location in TD42.
I think it's better to fix it for the peace of mind, particularly, it you go on long trips and off road.

grumbo
7th March 2013, 02:58 PM
Guys be very careful with those oil pressure switches if the switch has stopped working your gauge the best thing you can do is to remove the switch as they will sometimes fail pumping your oil out and when the light comes on its all over. New gauge switches are over $100 but a brand new oil pressure switch for any Datto/Nissan is around $10 Keeps your warning light going but MAY save a costly engine build.

Robo
7th March 2013, 03:58 PM
Genuine sender units are a well known problem.
slow to respond, low, or erratic or both readings.

taslucas
7th March 2013, 07:42 PM
Guys be very careful with those oil pressure switches if the switch has stopped working your gauge the best thing you can do is to remove the switch as they will sometimes fail pumping your oil out and when the light comes on its all over. New gauge switches are over $100 but a brand new oil pressure switch for any Datto/Nissan is around $10 Keeps your warning light going but MAY save a costly engine build.

good advice and yes, oil pressure is something to take seriously BUT, as has been said, the patrol oil sender units are well known to fail and be erratic. Chances are that the oil pressure is fine but if you want to be sure then an aftermarket sender unit is the way to go