28th February 2013, 06:02 PM
Why... besides the obvious???

Do you have a chance of a good GQ one??

healy
28th February 2013, 10:37 PM
No but it will make it easier to find one if they are the same

BearGUST
28th February 2013, 10:56 PM
GU has shift on the fly, pretty sure GQ doesn't.

Lawrence
1st March 2013, 03:25 AM
I understand that the gq does have shift on the fly

Drewboyaus
1st March 2013, 06:59 PM
I can shift my GQ from 2H to 4H on the move....need to stop to drop it into L4 though.
Don't know if they're the same transfer case though...

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

BearGUST
4th March 2013, 11:11 PM
Fair enough, a mate has a GQ and he reckons it doesn't have shift on the fly. I stand corrected.

NissanGQ4.2
4th March 2013, 11:20 PM
x2 with drewboyaus,

Can shift shift my 92 GQ from 2H to 4H on the move....also need to stop to drop it into L4

Bloodyaussie
5th March 2013, 07:57 AM
But are they the same???

healy
5th March 2013, 12:13 PM
I would have thought someone would know the answer

AB
5th March 2013, 12:22 PM
same same...

TRANSFER CASE; Not much goes wrong with Patrol transfer cases, they can take a huge amount of punishment (and horsepower) and rarely fail. The transfer case is the same across GQ/GU models regardless of engine or gearbox. Low range ratio is 2.02:1. Not a particularly low reduction with low first being the only gear lower than first high, but aftermarket reduction gears are readily available in a variety of ratio's.
Except for GU 4.8l, GQ/GU Patrols are fitted with a transfer case mounted drum handbrake with very strong holding ability. The handbrake (on the rear of the TF case) can be adjusted easily by removing a rubber bung from the drum, moving the drum so the hole is in the 6 o'clock position, and using a screw driver through the hole to move the adjuster.

Stolen from YNOT's Preventative Maintenance thread.

Sir Roofy
5th March 2013, 12:26 PM
Only one way to find out mate
is ring or go to 4x4 wreckers
ask or see if they would fit

Winnie
5th March 2013, 01:16 PM
Call Patrolapart they'd know for sure

healy
5th March 2013, 03:13 PM
They are the same so I have been told today I think I've found the problem might be the locking/glide plate it's only an issue for 4hi at the moment

Bloodyaussie
5th March 2013, 05:08 PM
I have a spare trans case but not sure yet if a want to keep it as a spare??

As for 4h... ya dont need it as long as you can get 4L fixed...... hows the diff going???

healy
5th March 2013, 07:58 PM
I'm gonna try the diff out on Saturday on a few tracks feels ok on road

Lawrence
6th March 2013, 04:12 AM
But are they the same???

Yes, The same gearbox as well as later gqs (which is the same as earlier gqs, except with a couple upgrades). I think there are two gearboxes behind the td42 with minor differences (maybe the pto attachment is the difference, but the part number is different). Transfer cases are the same though. You can confirm that with a look at the part numbers for both vehicles