PDA

View Full Version : GU stuck in low range

Gabe
26th February 2013, 07:30 PM
I went for a 4by today and when it was time to get back on the road I couldn't seem to get it out of 4 low, it just kept crunching when I was trying to take it out, I ended up driving it to a side road and turned the car off and let it sit for a minute and took it out while the car was off and when I started the car and drove it again it was back to normal, anyone else had this problem before that can help me out as to what to look at cos i'm still pretty new to this, cheers

threedogs
26th February 2013, 07:34 PM
Drive backwards and unwind it

Gabe
26th February 2013, 07:44 PM
Tried that a few times and didn't do anything....

megatexture
26th February 2013, 07:47 PM
put it in neutral and then go 2h then reverse a bit, sometimes a sharp stab on the accelerator can help

dont know about manuals but are you pushing down on the stick?

Sir Roofy
26th February 2013, 07:53 PM
where you in auto lock or manual if you take it out of manual first it will come out easy
if not back up a tad that should do it and push the stumpy stick down as well

Gabe
26th February 2013, 08:34 PM
It's an automatic and was in auto lock, was doing everything you guys have suggested and did nothing, would it be worth checking the oil?

Alitis007
26th February 2013, 08:58 PM
Check the transfer case oil level and have a look at the transfer case gear linkage to see for signs of wear

Gabe
26th February 2013, 10:20 PM
Cheers, i'll have a look tomorrow after work

happygu
26th February 2013, 11:14 PM
If you leave in 4WD and do tight turns on a hard surface, you will get transmission wind up...that is the only time I have ever had difficulty moving the short gear lever.....

Mic

megatexture
26th February 2013, 11:21 PM
so you dont have to drive it on the road tomorrow?

Gabe
27th February 2013, 07:19 PM
I did need to drive it today, I got it out of low range yesterday i just wanted to know peoples thoughts as to why it did it and what to do etc to stop it happening again....

Cuppa
27th February 2013, 08:15 PM
I did need to drive it today, I got it out of low range yesterday i just wanted to know peoples thoughts as to why it did it and what to do etc to stop it happening again....

So what did you do different to get it out of low range?

alexx
27th February 2013, 11:40 PM
this happens also to manuals when bearings in the transfercase frontdrives are worn out. at initial wearing, you may not hear anything odd. consult a mechanic to check them or you try hold the propeler for loose fit. you cant wiggle it if bearings are good.

04OFF
28th February 2013, 12:00 AM
Please confirm you know the vehicle must be stationary and not in drive/gear when switching to and from low range 4wd.

The first time you tryed, did you actually slow the car to a dead stop, put the T-bar/auto transmission shifter into neutral, before moving from low range ?

Jock
28th February 2013, 05:31 AM
I have a 2010 auto and I had the same issue. Nissan dealer told me it was common to all 4x4. Driving in reverse unbinds. This issue was highlighted some time back on Simon Christies 4x4 show on TV. Dealer also told me you need to be firm pushing down and quick when moving transfer lever.

Cheers

Gabe
28th February 2013, 12:40 PM
I was at a dead stop and in neutral, every time i tried to get it out either quick or slow it was just crunching, as soon as i turned the car off and let it sit i took it out then and when i started it again it was back to normal, and yes i was pushing the stick down too.

04OFF
28th February 2013, 12:58 PM
Bugger, that does not sound good then mate !

macca
28th February 2013, 01:14 PM
Bit confused, was it stuck in low range or wouldnt go into high? There is a neutral in between high & low.
If it crunched gears going into high I would suggest the main gearbox had not been in neutral, spinning the out-put shaft (in-put shaft in transfer case) therefore rattling teeth.

Try it in park that should stop all shafts rotating and stationary of course.

Gabe
28th February 2013, 03:54 PM
Sorry i'll try and explain it better, i was in neutral and it was crunching while i was trying to get it into 4H so i could get it into 2H, when i finally got it onto 2H it was driving the same as it was in 4L, it was only after i tried reversing backwards etc that i turned the car off and put it into 2H and restarted the car that it drove normal again, hope that makes sense

macca
28th February 2013, 06:06 PM
Maaate, if this is the case "when i finally got it onto 2H it was driving the same as it was in 4L" there is something seriously wrong in the transfer case. Does not sound good.

Gabe
28th February 2013, 07:17 PM
Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but ill check the oil and gear linkage and try again, hopefully it was just a one off... ;)

flemj
2nd March 2013, 08:02 PM
Hi Guys,

I have found that if you get a bit of wind up, putting it in reverse and driving backwards doesn't always help. But if drive in reverse in a figure 8 it will take the pressure off especially on a loose surface such as a grassed area.

John

whastie
12th March 2013, 08:59 PM
Hi Gabe - Also have a GU and find I need to put in reverse for short period at times (only a few meters) and problems soughted.
Hope that helps.

Regards
Wayne