PDA

View Full Version : What to do......

Drewboyaus
24th February 2013, 10:10 PM
Ok, so after taking the whole tribe away (3 kids) for a day trip on Saturday, the good wife commented that as the kids were growing up we were running out of space in the GQ......(queue dramatic music)
Well that has now opened Pandora's box......I now need to look at a bigger vehicle in the foreseeable future (GU).
So what to buy??????
As this is a weekend/project toy I simply couldn't justify the price of a TD42. To complicate matters I might be moving to a new employer where rather than FMCV I'll receive quite a generous car allowance. That said, for a work vehicle I want it to be relatively useful around the city (where most of my clients are) and a Patrol won't cut it for those duties....
So my broad question is: what are my vehicle choice options (and I'd like a reasoned argument accompanying)? Petrol or Deisel? 3.0L vs 2.8L vs 4.5L vs 4.8L. Auto or manual?
I'm really a bit sad about having to (probably) sell the GQ for a number of reasons. It has provided me a fun distraction in building it to where it is during a very challenging period of my life.....and am now unsure if I should continue to modify the Q.......but life goes on (and I digress).
Looking for a maximum spend on a new vehicle being capped at 20K I would think.
So now I turn the floor over to you, my devoted followers of Patrolology.....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Clunk
24th February 2013, 10:26 PM
Keep the Q for the weekends, work out a way to use GU dickey seats instead of the crappy GQ ones, also make some sort of bracket to move the 2nd row seats back a couple of inches (i would like to do all this too mine).
Get a people carrier for during the week, light on fuel, good round town and plant of room for the family.....my choice would be a Honda Odyssey

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

04OFF
24th February 2013, 10:33 PM
I know GUs are bigger than Qs, but is it really that much that it would be worth selling a good car to buy something else ?

Just how much more stuff will you be able to fit in a GU (and i am asking here, not telling), do you have a roof basket ? if not that would be something to look at.

If your kids are getting "that big" they cant fit in a Q, id suggest it wont be too long and they wont want to hang with parents anyway !

As for other car/engine choice, its simple ...

Diesel...... dearer to buy, great engine, easy to get more power, cheap on fuel, but risk blowing up costing a fortune.

Petrol.......cheap to buy, great engine, moderate power increase, NOT cheap on fuel at all, almost no risk of engine trouble (unless on LPG)

Auto is better for 90% of all situations

TuffTD42
24th February 2013, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=Drewboyaus;337537] To complicate matters I might be moving to a new employer where rather than FMCV I'll receive quite a generous car allowance. That said, for a work vehicle I want it to be relatively useful around the city (where most of my clients are) and a Patrol won't cut it for those duties....
So my broad question is: what are my vehicle choice options (and I'd like a reasoned argument accompanying)? Petrol or Deisel? 3.0L vs 2.8L vs 4.5L vs 4.8L. Auto or manual?

That statement is a little confusing to me. To me your saying a Patrol is no good for work/city what other vehicle choice? but you then ask whats better 3.0,2.8 Diesel or 4.5,4.8 Petrol. So you want another Patrol or something entirely different? I'd just buy a TD42 GU. There's a few about for around your Price.

Clunk
24th February 2013, 10:44 PM
I believe thr gu drivers get a couples if inches or so more leg room- only useful if your over 6ft 2in, the rear passengers get a couple of inches more leg room but the boot is smaller. The Gu is an inch or so wider inside but nothing to write home about.......... I could be wrong about the dimensions because I'm only going by what I remember about my brothers GU.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Drewboyaus
24th February 2013, 10:46 PM
That statement is a little confusing to me. To me your saying a Patrol is no good for work/city what other vehicle choice? but you then ask whats better 3.0,2.8 Diesel or 4.5,4.8 Petrol. So you want another Patrol or something entirely different? .

Sorry, wasn't very clear when I read that again......My GQ and whatever it's replacement may or may not be is a weekend getaway vehicle, the wife has a Suby wagon and my work vehicle will not be a 4x4 type vehicle.....

Alitis007
24th February 2013, 11:03 PM
Thats easy mate, its a 4.5ltr, its a nissan, its a patrol, its a Y62 only problem is you will need to shell out a couple of g's above your budget lol

But seriously if you could afford it i would get a third car, i'm not sure what you do for work mate but you could buy a cheap run around 4cylinder job so you will have a thrasher for daily use, the mrs car for going out and the GQ for play and to make the mrs happy you could upgrade her car if she wants with the change from the beater plus what her car sells for!!

Wine_maker
24th February 2013, 11:21 PM
Half part of another GQ will help you LOL
like this!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/121.jpg

threedogs
25th February 2013, 05:35 AM
I take it you have a son who'd love to own "DADS Q" down the track
Main thing here is close the door to the shower this will stop any further kids IMO

Me I'd buy something that was good on fuel, and safe seating for 7,
you may need to create a list and see what ticks all the boxes.
If possible keep the "Q" if it means a lot to you you. My son brought my old
4x4, but 4x4ing is not his cup of tea, boo hoo to me..

Maxhead
25th February 2013, 06:11 AM
If you do get vehicle allowance then buy a new GU8 or even a Y62 (depending on allowance). Both will be great to drive around town..why not?

Not only do you get a great new vehicle but also many tax advantages equaling $$$...EASY if it was my decision.

Drewboyaus
25th February 2013, 07:21 AM
Half part of another GQ will help you LOL
like this!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/121.jpg

Yeah, pop the kids in there when they turn feral! LMAO.

Winnie
25th February 2013, 07:28 AM
Keep the Q for weekends mate and buy a hot hatch for run around. You've done so much work to that patrol it would be such a shame to see it go.

Bloodyaussie
25th February 2013, 07:45 AM
I personally dont think there is to much to gain from getting a GU if its room you want.... I have used both for holidays with the family and as stated it is a matter of a couple of inches..

Roof rack goes a long way to getting back some clutter..

No matter what with 3 kids it is always going to be tight if you are going to remove the dickie seats to make room for fridge and draws and so on.... my mate has a 2004 Pajero with 3 kids and there is no bloody room at all if you need to pack for a holiday!!!

Swapping one for another and the gains for the reasons you state are not really there... if you said more power or better fuel economy then thats different ... my 2 cents!!

Drewboyaus
25th February 2013, 08:01 AM
Thanks Johnathon, great info on the difference in size (minimal). It's interesting though, my Territory isn't much bigger on the inside than the GQ (by a few cm either way) but there is the illusion of more space. The economy situation isn't an issue because the GQ isn't used as a daily driver but the range of a diesel could be hand for longer expeditions though I have just picked up a auxiliary tank on eBay......
Kris, I had thought of getting a new GU for the work vehicle but sometimes multilevel car parks are tight enough for the RWD Territory I have now.....and that has quite a good turning circle....chuck a bit of a lift and some tyres at it and I'll struggle to even enter some of them.......
All good thoughts though

Sir Roofy
25th February 2013, 08:08 AM
The gu,s are comfy but once you take out the 3rd row seats
put in the draws fridge and maybe a self on top of that
theres really no room left you then need a roof rack then
a box then a roof topbag to keep things dry then its topheavey
catches the wind then there goes your economy,andrew the gu,s
are a very good unit but theres not that much extra room in there
once loaded up for a holiday

BigRAWesty
25th February 2013, 08:23 AM
I'm 6'2" and spent my child hood in the back of a Q.. and I'm one of 4 kids..
We did lots of long tips and most of the time did it with no roof rack or trailer...
Sure it was tight, but plan the loads.. quilts, pillows etc between kids, a short draw system and fridge ontop in the rear..
Now I'm a bit confused to. Is the wife saying its to small ie leg space for the kids, or is it 3+ kids and no room for gear..
There are many options. If its leg space, as mentioned up top, just jump out for a coffee a little more often.. all 4x4's are of similar size. You gain leg space with some, but loose storage...
If its storage which is short, then as mentioned maybe a roof rack to take some of the gear.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Drewboyaus
25th February 2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys. Great stuff!

threedogs
25th February 2013, 12:13 PM
As above and you need to reflect an "image" so you want it to be classy.
dont think you'd get best value from a diesel but now having thought a bit more.
keep the "Q" and buy a Quattro for work.

Drewboyaus
25th February 2013, 06:58 PM
As above and you need to reflect an "image" so you want it to be classy.
dont think you'd get best value from a diesel but now having thought a bit more.
keep the "Q" and buy a Quattro for work.

That's the problem with using a GU as a company car.....not a great look to roll up to a clients place dropping mud on their driveway.....or having the full compliment of bush pin striping......
I had been toying with the idea of one of those new Grand Cherokees with a 5.7 Hemi (Not quite as titanic as the Y62)......oh...yeah....helps to be able to write off the fuel..LMAO.
Or a new VF SSV???? Dunno but I reckon it might have a bent 8 whatever it is....
I think for the time being I'm going to stick with the GQ......to hell with what the wife thinks......for now! Hahahha.

Bloodyaussie
25th February 2013, 07:00 PM
That's the problem with using a GU as a company car.....not a great look to roll up to a clients place dropping mud on their driveway.....or having the full compliment of bush pin striping......
I had been toying with the idea of one of those new Grand Cherokees with a 5.7 Hemi (Not quite as titanic as the Y62)......oh...yeah....helps to be able to write off the fuel..LMAO.
Or a new VF SSV???? Dunno but I reckon it might have a bent 8 whatever it is....
I think for the time being I'm going to stick with the GQ......to hell with what the wife thinks......for now! Hahahha.

Thats right...stick with the GQ!!!!!!!!

Your one is a nice tidy unit and it would be a shame to see it go..

Drewboyaus
25th February 2013, 07:07 PM
That's my thoughts right there....
It'd be like an unfinished painting and there's certainly a few big adventures left in it before it's retired.....