PDA

View Full Version : 24volt system

Hawky
24th February 2013, 10:10 PM
I have just bought a 1980 Nissan patrol which has the 24volt system , i'm wanting to put a sound system in it as their isn't one in it but I'm unsure of voltage in the dash panel. I have been told that the dash instruments are reduced to 12volt is this right. I was also told that the trailer plug on it would be 12volt , and ended up blowing taillight globes soon as I turned them on , replaced with 24volt globes and worked fine. Also does anyone know if their is an inline plugin inverter that reducers 24 to 12 volt as I use my trailers on different vehicles and it's going to be a pain having to change globes back and forth.
Thanks Hawky.

Lieney
24th February 2013, 10:27 PM
Dick smith, jaycar or auto elec joint should get you an inverter.
Get a multi meter from an elec shop. A cheapy, maybe $15 & you can guarantee what's in your dash.

Rumcajs
24th February 2013, 10:54 PM
It isn't an inverter but reducer actually 24 V --> 12 V,( it'd be inverter if it was other way around me being a smart arse) they're commonly used on heavy vehicles of Euro descent (24V) but boy those things are pricey e.g 1200 W 80 A truck unit will set you back $$$$.

Redarc is main manufacturer/supplier in Australia they do make smaller units too --> Redarc trailer-lighting (http://www.redarc.com.au/products/category/t-trailer-lighting/)

megatexture
25th February 2013, 12:20 AM
Replace the lights to led mine were good for 9- 32 volt that way it won't matter what you tow it with http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-PAIR-LED-TAIL-GATE-LIGHTS-12-24V-CAR-TRUCK-UTE-TRAILER-CARAVAN-/330876555827?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d09c79233&_uhb=1#ht_3277wt_1078

GQ TANK
27th February 2013, 10:55 PM
Im guessing you have a SD33 diesiel.

Use a redarc invertor-

Dont centre tap your batterys -

It is possible to convert to 12 volts but its a pain - new glubs, diesel control unit etc - doa search on the MQ / MK paset of the forum. The later MK's where 12 volts.

The other big disadvantage with the 24 volt system is if a battery dies you MUST replace both.

Lieney
27th February 2013, 11:50 PM
It isn't an inverter but reducer actually 24 V --> 12 V,( it'd be inverter if it was other way around me being a smart arse) [/URL]

Thanx for the memory jogger Rumcajs. Reducer is what I meant. I had other things going in my mind as usual. Cheers for straightening that out.

Hawky
6th March 2013, 03:31 PM
Got it sorted thanks guys .