PDA

View Full Version : 2000 rpm miss fire (nofire) when cold only. What nowwwwww HELP? ZD30

WogsRus
24th February 2013, 09:25 PM
Hi guys

Well on Thursday i took of for work, for no reason at all must have blipped the throttle to 2000 rpm when i noticed a miss fire in the truck.

The car was stone cold, so i revved it slowly up to 2000 rpm and spot on 2000 rpn, no load the car miss fires, like as if it was a petrol car, you could see grayish white smoke and smelt of unburned diesel.

The car drives fine, no extra fuel usage, same power, no extra black smoke or nothing.

I have checked the oil, all clean. Water all clean too.

What the hell is going on this time, has anyone had any such issues.

All the car has is a 3" exhaust.

Please HELPPPPP:1087:

Lieney
24th February 2013, 10:00 PM
ZD30 is unique.
I had misfiring at 2200 I think when under load. Like accelerating up the highway.
Plus another issue when turning corner to one side. I changed the fuel filter & bingo. Problem gone.
I might add I had several other issues and replaced the MAF and did several other things to try and find the issue/s.
Replace filter. Check for water so drain it in2 a clear tin.
Good luck.

WogsRus
24th February 2013, 10:02 PM
Well i am charging the battery as the battery sits at 12.3V after 3 days not driving it, i will see if its a charge issue or something.

Mine drives great no issues even when cold.

Lieney
24th February 2013, 11:09 PM
Doubt it would be a charge issue, unless there is a loose connection somewhere maybe thats cutting the fuel supply at that rpm. Possibility I suppose but at 12.3v I'd want to know a little more.
i'd suspect fuel problem such as filter blocked a little so is restricting flow at high rpm.
Does it happen under no load and full load?
I drained my fuel filter & it was perfectly clear, but a new one solved the problem I had.
A battery at 12.3v is not that bad after 3 days.
How far does the voltage drop when cranking? Above 9.5 is good. 8's might be pushing it. If it is charge, let us know

WogsRus
24th February 2013, 11:35 PM
Only at no load idle zero boost. Could be egr too from what I have read.

Alitis007
25th February 2013, 12:38 AM
Is it auto? On the falcons in park the revs are limited so you cant over rev it. It could just be like that to protect the motor when its cold

Yendor
25th February 2013, 05:24 AM
Is it auto? On the falcons in park the revs are limited so you cant over rev it. It could just be like that to protect the motor when its cold

I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe someone else with the same year model could see if theirs does the same.

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 07:24 AM
Nope she will rev through to 4000 rpm, its just that it miss fires above 1200 rpm and rally bad at 2000 rpm, then tapers of again. I will be taking it to MR nissan shortly after i send then a video of what it sounds like.

Its a manual though, i will upload a video today.

Lieney
25th February 2013, 08:34 AM
Yendor would have a good idea.
He knows a lot.
Another throng I thought of this morning I the MAF.
Not sure 100% but may be cutting fuel if computer is not getting right signal.
Not sure due to 'miss-fire' explanation, but something to look at.
Make sure you update us on what it is, even if its simple.

Maxhead
25th February 2013, 08:43 AM
Could even be the TPS, they can cause some strange issues.

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 09:37 AM
the TPS was replaced 4 weeks ago for a new one after the original one died. The I cleaned the MAF last night and made no difference this morning. I am about to load a video of the issue and call MR Nissan.

The strange thing is under power and so forth, the car runs great no issues at all, I am actually more suspicious it being egr valve as when boost comes in and the like issue dissapears.

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 09:53 AM
Heres the vid you need to listen to, clearly audible miss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VePmDbBOPhQ

And the tail end, BAD i think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flWT963IaNo

Alitis007
25th February 2013, 10:14 AM
Is the smoke grey or white?? White means water grey means oil burn

Alitis007
25th February 2013, 10:15 AM
Oh and did you fit a high flow particulate filter (diesel cat) it could be blocked if its oil burn but you will hear a hissing sound and sort of a eggy smell from the exhaust

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 10:22 AM
more gray similar to an oil burn in a petrol car i guess, not white, engine water level and colour has remained unchanged.

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 11:26 AM
Exhaust came with a high flow diesel cat.

Exhaust smells like pure unburnt diesel, it stings your eyes.

I sure as hope it hasn't pooped a piston or valve or something, its only done 20K and only tows a 1.5T camper behind it at best.

Lieney
25th February 2013, 11:52 AM
My filter issue caused mine to miss above 2000rpm.
Also blew white/grey smoke after turning right. Go figure?
White smoke is not just water. Unburnt diesel is this color too. I thought it could be turbo, flange, MAF, vacuum pump & many many other reasons. I eventually changed the fuel filter and problem was solved instantly.
I was loosing vacuum on turning, thus boost deceased, and as I accelerated a huge plume of smoke would appear. Car would splutter and cough and away she'd go, until 2000 rpm when it would kick and fart.
Doesn't splutter up the highway when you have your foot flat? Mine did at idle a litre, but more on highway. Filter =$30 & piece of mind. It was the last thing I did because of the 'turning' issue I also had.
If its not that, good luck and let us know.

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 12:00 PM
I have no spluttering at all particularly when boost kicks in, when still cold and driving on flat at 2000 rpm, you can fell a hunt/miss in the car until boost is made, ie 0.001 Psi.

I will check fuel filter, i am assuming repco make a replacement one ?

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 12:39 PM
Ok so i am goign through and trying to rule things out

Blown engine, would have no power, coughing spluttering shit running, oil usage, water usage etc - Mine does not exhibit any of this so for now ruled out
Blown rings - As above, seams ok, blow by is the same as before from memory.
Burnt Valves - As the problem disappears once warm, i would say all good
Injector issue - i would have figured it would do it all the time, not just when warmed up.
Diesel Pump - probable, this is hard to diagnose
Glow Plugs - I would not think they have anything with the running of the engine once idling and at RPM? correct me if i am wrong
EGR issues - Possible, problem disappears when warm, EGR is used to help engine run in the morning, might be an issue there.

I can't stop thinking about it all, dam cars.

HELP

Yendor
25th February 2013, 03:33 PM
OK, I have a bit of time to do some research and this is what I have found in the workshop manual.

It sort of fits in with your symptoms except yours only does it when cold.

Also you exhaust might changes things slightly.

Have you had a look in the owners handbook? it may have some more information.

What did Nissan say?

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 03:47 PM
Mr Nissan will have the car on Thursday, i have described the issues, sent a full email with the videos and they said to just book it in and to keep driving it. I have not had a chance to go through the Nissan Bible as yet nor the owners hand book. I must say I don't think it use to do this before, it would have been more apparent.

Any more help please.

Yendor
25th February 2013, 03:58 PM
Mr Nissan will have the car on Thursday, i have described the issues, sent a full email with the videos and they said to just book it in and to keep driving it. I have not had a chance to go through the Nissan Bible as yet nor the owners hand book. I must say I don't think it use to do this before, it would have been more apparent.

Any more help please.

Hopefully Nissan can sort it out for you then.

Cheers Rodney

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah but i am half expecting it to be MY FAULT if you know what i mean.

Alitis007
25th February 2013, 04:30 PM
Get it on a dyno, read the ecu "Current Data" measure a/f ratio that should answer what the smoke is and if its Flooding or Leaning off or give a high hydro carbon reading if its burning oil. Should only cost $150

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 06:39 PM
well it runs fine when warm, i tested each injector by unpluging it and made no difference, its like a whole system misfire. Will check error codes in a sec

WogsRus
25th February 2013, 08:51 PM
Dam it, my OBD reader is at the old place, just ordered a new Bluetooth one, should be here Thursday.

Cant do it with the on dash read out as pins 1 and 8 do not correspond on the CRD models, bugga.

Lieney
25th February 2013, 11:42 PM
If it goes to Nissan before you get it sorted, tell them you need a specific answer for the fault/s.
I'm interested in what it is.
Fuel cut-off ay. The computer could be getting a dodgy signal so the engine thinks its over-revving. Sorry, thinking out loud.
Good luck

WogsRus
26th February 2013, 07:16 AM
I will also be stating that if it can't be fixed I will be excersising my right for a refund or replacement under the new warranties act as per the warranty book.

happygu
27th February 2013, 08:02 PM
You can tell it is misfiring badly due to the exhaust stain on the bumper.

I am thinking that it could be a dodgy injector or the TPS Sensor again.....

Mic

WogsRus
27th February 2013, 08:09 PM
The stain is because the exhaust is after market and finises a bit closer then stock under the bumper. When warm there is no miss fire and no smoke

Alitis007
27th February 2013, 11:47 PM
Is there any chance that the coolant temp sensor is telling the ECU to over fuel?? It could be telling the ECU that your in -20C, its not uncommon !!!

WogsRus
28th February 2013, 12:21 AM
hope so it would be easy i guess

WogsRus
28th February 2013, 02:19 PM
Question, as i have fitted an exhaust, as as such had to adjust the VNT stop screw, not the actuator arm, so it maintained stock boost without over boosting with the exhaust, they saying they have to put it back to standard as it may be causing the issue, at idle, THERE IS NOOOOO BOOST, so how is this going to make any difference ?

HUMM awaiting to see what they come up with.

Any thoughts on the diagnosis?

Alitis007
28th February 2013, 06:02 PM
The turbo still spools but with lower engine vacuum at idle or no load the actuator opens to show no boost so might be a good time to fit one of those valves to to control your boost rather then fuel or the ecu

WogsRus
28th February 2013, 09:23 PM
OK so screw reset to stock with the dam dial gauge, back to within 0.5mm of stock, I am fairly sure it wont make any difference but we will see, i felt it stumble when still partly cold.
BTW at idle and 2000 rpm the actuator is in its full up position.

At least now that is stock Mr Nissan will look at it all.

Pain in the ass due to no error codes being thrown.

WogsRus
1st March 2013, 07:59 AM
WELL i better eat humble pie, i am not sure what did it because i did about a dozen things last night, at first try yesterday it looks like the car still missed, i reset the computer a few time, the car stumbled, BUT this morning all good. SO not sure what fixed it but its back, hats of to MR Nissan if it was that. I will do a test today afternoon to see if it was the turbo adjust nut thing.

WogsRus
2nd March 2013, 12:34 AM
ok so i did a test by putting in a 3 mm spacer so i did not have to redo the screw, between the stop and the actuator arm and the symptom came back, but it has not gone away even after i took the spacer out back to stock, it seams once i disconnected the vacuum line to the actuator things go screwier, but for some reason it remained like this. I tried to reset the computer but no good, so at least i am happy to state its so bull shit electronics issue. GREAT

WogsRus
2nd March 2013, 07:57 PM
OK so its still there came back somehow and not going away, i will reset the ecu and see if that makes a difference but it was fixed now its back.

ANYONE and I DO MEAN ANYONE, has had simmilar problems.

Ben-e-boy
2nd March 2013, 08:13 PM
OK so its still there came back somehow and not going away, i will reset the ecu and see if that makes a difference but it was fixed now its back.

ANYONE and I DO MEAN ANYONE, has had simmilar problems.

Right lets start from the beginning, ( the fluffy start when cold starting thread)

From this please list the thing you did to try to rectify this.

WogsRus
2nd March 2013, 08:51 PM
1) Checked all the connectors - all appear good
2) Checked engine codes all good
3) took it to Nissan, told to put the turbo boost screw back to stock, the one controlling the max VNT, did so and at first it did not fix anything, then i washed the engine down with water, and the car stumbled, then all good fixed my issue
4) day after, i wanted to see if it was the stop VNT screw that actually made the difference, so i put a 3mm spacer on the VNT arm. Engine was running and in order to get the arm to go down, i took the vaccume line of the actuator and put the spacer in, connected it back up, ran the engine up to 2000 rpm and it came back, reversed the procedure and put it all good, problem remained.

Basically i am assuming its an electronics issue.

What i need is to get someone who has an exhaust and has fiddled with the VNT screw, to rev the car cold to 2000 rpm and see what happens, if it does not do it, it would be good to see what boost and air flow the car runs at 2000 rpm no load.

Ben-e-boy
2nd March 2013, 09:11 PM
1) Checked all the connectors - all appear good
2) Checked engine codes all good
3) took it to Nissan, told to put the turbo boost screw back to stock, the one controlling the max VNT, did so and at first it did not fix anything, then i washed the engine down with water, and the car stumbled, then all good fixed my issue
4) day after, i wanted to see if it was the stop VNT screw that actually made the difference, so i put a 3mm spacer on the VNT arm. Engine was running and in order to get the arm to go down, i took the vaccume line of the actuator and put the spacer in, connected it back up, ran the engine up to 2000 rpm and it came back, reversed the procedure and put it all good, problem remained.

Basically i am assuming its an electronics issue.

What i need is to get someone who has an exhaust and has fiddled with the VNT screw, to rev the car cold to 2000 rpm and see what happens, if it does not do it, it would be good to see what boost and air flow the car runs at 2000 rpm no load.

Why do you still think its an electronics issue
it you have proved the connections to be ok...no issue
there is NO error codes....no issue
you have reset the ecu many times NO CHANGE......no issue

Lierny made a useful suggestion on the first page.

ZD30 is unique.
I had misfiring at 2200 I think when under load. Like accelerating up the highway.
Plus another issue when turning corner to one side. I changed the fuel filter & bingo. Problem gone.
I might add I had several other issues and replaced the MAF and did several other things to try and find the issue/s.
Replace filter. Check for water so drain it in2 a clear tin.
Good luck.

have you done the service that you said was overdue in the fluffy start when cold starting thread.

have you proved that it isnt a fuel issue.

Yendor also put up a useful post about no-load throttle.

WogsRus
2nd March 2013, 09:16 PM
Car been to nissan for a 20K service so no fuel filter still not replaced, I have not proven that is a fuel issue as the problem clearly disappeared for two days.

I am unwilling to try too much as teh car is under warranty and so forth, Tomorrow i am checking teh EGR.

Ben-e-boy
2nd March 2013, 09:29 PM
Car been to nissan for a 20K service so no fuel filter still not replaced, I have not proven that is a fuel issue as the problem clearly disappeared for two days.

I am unwilling to try too much as teh car is under warranty and so forth, Tomorrow i am checking teh EGR.

changing a fuel filter is a 10min job. checking fuel lines for cracks and loose fittings is another 10 job. will that void the warranty

WogsRus
2nd March 2013, 09:43 PM
I assume the fuel lines were ok, i mean the car is 9 months old, but i guess assumptions are a mother of all fcuckups. Changing the filter on a GU8 is a bigger job then most, particularly with the bleeding and i have never done it on a diesel.

I will do so tomorrow morning

Ta

happygu
2nd March 2013, 11:48 PM
Wogs,

Get prepared for the price of the fuel filter......it ain't cheap.

Mic

WogsRus
3rd March 2013, 12:00 AM
Yeah $156 each my price, still don;t think its the filter because the problem went away for a whole day, it was not until i disconnected the vacuum line from the actuator for the test that it started again.

Alitis007
3rd March 2013, 01:34 AM
Didn't you say that after you washed the motor it came good?? Obviously the water is changing the resistance somewhere and like i said earlier you should get it on a dyno and if it finds the fault Nissan will pay because its under warranty,

I know with the VE commos they oftenly need a software update to sync the foot pedal resistor with the TPS.

WogsRus
3rd March 2013, 09:00 PM
Ok so got some data of my mates car, looks like the missfire is due to low air flow, the car should be flowing, when cold, 4 psi at no load at 2000 rpm, mine flows 1.5 psi at same position. No matter what i do, the boost does not seam to go up. The issue disappeared his morning so see how we go.