PDA

View Full Version : GQ Tb42 Heating up???

GQJays
22nd February 2013, 04:26 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on my heating up problem??? She runs fine at a temp below the half way mark but if I am out in the scrub and not doing much speed she warms up to almost the three quarter mark...this is only when I have the air-con running, I then have to turn the a/c off to let it cool down again, it also seems to lose power and start missing and carrying on when it warms up...I have just removed the thermostat...will this help keep it cooler and will it harm my motor if I dont put another thermostat back in it???

Cheers Jays

Bloodyaussie
22nd February 2013, 04:31 PM
How hot is it where you are mate.... does it climb further then 3/4 ??

GQJays
22nd February 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm in Rockhampton mate, bloody hot and humid at the moment and no it doesn't go any higher than 3/4...probably doesn't even get that high and it's only when I'm doing low speeds under labour...cools down pretty quick when the speed picks up again...

krbrooking
22nd February 2013, 04:38 PM
Might be a cooling fan/ thermal fan issue or could just be over working the motor while the air con is on.

Maxhead
22nd February 2013, 04:38 PM
Three quarter mark with air con and low speed...hmmm, not too bad but could be a bit better.
My air con does not work but I do get temps above the half mark which does not worry me. If it gets towards the high mark then I would take some action.

Something you could look at is flushing your rad, changing yoyr cap and the thermostat to start with.

Bloodyaussie
22nd February 2013, 04:41 PM
I think its not so much a problem really... better than mine...;)

GQJays
22nd February 2013, 04:49 PM
Ok...I have flushed my radiator and removed the thermostat all together...was just wondering what the missing and carrying on is at that higher temp...haven't taken it for a run since I removed the thermostat so I guess I'll see what happens...

Bloodyaussie
22nd February 2013, 04:50 PM
Missed the bit about the farting and carrying on... when were the valve clearances last done???

Is the car petrol only... carb fuel injected

GQJays
22nd February 2013, 04:52 PM
I have only owned the car since xmas and I haven't done them...don't know how to lol...cant tell you when they were done before I owned it...

Bloodyaussie
22nd February 2013, 04:56 PM
Put a rag over the exhaust with the car running and give it a rev.. if the rag wants to suck up the pipe then you need clearances done....

GQJays
22nd February 2013, 04:58 PM
Righto...will give it a go when the minister of war and finances gets home...thanks aye

the evil twin
22nd February 2013, 05:12 PM
Given the current temps around Aus IMHO slogging around with the A/C on if it only gets up to 2/3rds then it isn't all that bad but;

I'd highly recommend you put a serviceable thermostat back in... then, pretty much in order

Check the fan clutch, if it is original then it will be shagged for sure so repair/replace (most common prob on GQ's) also check the base of the fan blades for cracks along the hub
Check the bottom quarter or so of the rad fins, it is hard to get at and gets clogged really easily with mud and bug guts (2nd most common prob)
If it still runs hot after that get the Rad rodded, back flushing does pretty much bugger all

If none of the above fix it then l would start to look further but those three are easily the top issues andthe cheapest/easiest to rectify. Give them a go and post back up how it turns out...

GQJays
26th February 2013, 05:04 PM
Update...I have taken it for a good run...after removing the thermostat all together the temp gauge sits at around a 1/4, under labour with a/c turned on and crawling along in the bush and some nice sticky mud etc it gets to 1/2 and stays there, runs smooth as and keeps all the power...I have a new thermostat coming in the mail and will update when I put that in and take it for a run...thanks for everyones input...I am glad I joined this site.

Cheers Jays

lg 91
2nd March 2013, 04:44 PM
Mine used to do the same I replaced heaps of stuff installed a aftermarket temp gauge and I used to get to 110 deg when in low range rebuilt the fan clutch and now it sits around the 80 deg mark all day

MQ MAD
2nd March 2013, 08:15 PM
I'm in Rockhampton mate, bloody hot and humid at the moment and no it doesn't go any higher than 3/4...probably doesn't even get that high and it's only when I'm doing low speeds under labour...cools down pretty quick when the speed picks up again...

Cooling system is working reasonably fine if all temps settle down with more air speed
Id say at a guess ,go get the radiator rodded out,itll be blocked
Just read above ,you removed the thermostat completely ???
Ensure it doesnt get hot,its not good to run without one especially an alloy head engine ,youll crack the head if it gets too hot
Its a myth they run cooler without a thermostat, they run hotter as the water doesnt stay in the rad and cool,it gets hot,hot,hotter than crack

Parksy
2nd March 2013, 09:12 PM
Plus it takes longer for the engine to warm up. The engine is designed to run at a specific temp where specific tolerances are made when hot. Plus you will use more fuel.

GQJays
4th March 2013, 12:09 PM
I have put the new thermostat in and it is still running at 1/4 on the temp gauge around town...haven't had it in the scrub yet but all seems to be good...thanks again to all that have commented...cheers