PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Power Loss issue

mcleod
22nd February 2013, 01:57 PM
Folks,

Looking to get some opinions with a power loss issue I have with my patrol. Only occurs in a specific set of circumstances and is a real pain. Vehicle is a late 2006 GU, 3L TD Di. Has an aftermarket cruise control fitted as they were not available factory at the time.

The issue occurs when I have the cruise control set and airconditioner running at the same time. The cruise will work for about 1 minute then speed will drop rapidly for about 3s and then the cruise will speed the vehicle back up. This happens about every minute or so. During that time the throttle is completely unresponsive. Initially when I got the car there was no issue, everything ran fine for about 4 years, then out of the blue this started happening. If I take it off cruise no issue at all, likewise if I run cruise with out aircon no issue at all. Cant find any other situation which will make this happen.

I am assuming it is eaither something to do with a poor earth somewhere or over boost (limp mode). Outside of this situation i cant get the vehicle to enter limp mode at all so not 100% on that one. Doesnt matter what situation the car is in, flat road, hill, downhill, towing or heavily loaded, as soon as the aircon is on and the cruise is set the power loss starts.

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on things.

thanks,

Angus

threedogs
22nd February 2013, 02:07 PM
Clean the MAF sensor and check your earths,
Is the C/C out of warranty, What brand C/C
Do you have guages fitted, that'd let you know if over boosting etc

mcleod
22nd February 2013, 02:15 PM
thanks, will look at the MAF. C/C is definately out of warranty, as for the brand cant recall at the minute but will find out. Gauges not fitted at the moment but wont be long before they are. This site has been a real eye opener on things which is great but scary that no-one from nissan recommended any of these things and now I have a patrol with 150k on the clock. Lucky I found this place and can now start making some changes.

Yendor
22nd February 2013, 02:17 PM
What brand of cruise control is it? Where is the control unit mounted? Is there a mechanical connection to the accelerator pedal? Do you know how it picks up vehicle speed?

Is anything touching the A/C pipes?

Check where they have pick up the power and the earth for the cruise control, they may have connect into the A/C circuit.

mcleod
23rd February 2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks again, will check all the above and report back. C C is an auscruise model.

Appreciate the suggestions

Robo
26th February 2013, 05:06 AM
Have you noticed if CC is cycling simultaneously with the AC cutting in and out?.
I'm with Yendor proberly share a common connection.

Humm,
another possibility cold air getting onto CC unit/part and causing malfuction.
leaking AC ducting seal?.
split air pipe?

threedogs
26th February 2013, 07:15 AM
I have the same C/C though mine is only one year old I think,
Has it been like this all the time or has it just stated doing it?
what has been done lately to your ride.

As for the forum I'd still be parked on the side of the road
I'm indebted to this forum big time, best forum on the planet

mcleod
26th February 2013, 03:10 PM
Robo, havent got around to checking the connection yet as per yendor suggestion. Hopefully checking it out this weekend. Will check the seals aswell.

Threedogs, the system worked fine for about 4 years and just started happening out of the blue, no changes at all to the rig, just started happening. Heaps of things to check just from above so will see how I go. The forum, yep one of the best I have come across, just wish I had earlier. Wasnt that interested in looking earlier as I figured getting the car factory serviced was all I needed, seems I was wrong about that.

Thanks again

happygu
26th February 2013, 06:06 PM
Is it one of these

If so, it is the Autron Cruise Control. They may be able to help

Mic

happygu
26th February 2013, 06:10 PM
I had the Autron unit and it was fantastic - no issues at all. It does sound like a power issue, and where they may have cut into the wiring to find a power supply.

A long shot....and it probably isn't one of these as it isn't happening all the time...

Is yours a manual or automatic?

If manual, I would check the switches located on the brake and clutch pedals, as these are designed to cut the cruise off when you press either pedals....one of the switches may be faulty, broken or dislodged, cause the cruise to disengage.

If automatic, then you will only have one on the brake.

Mic