PDA

View Full Version : Winch cradle

Michael111
21st February 2013, 09:29 PM
G'day gents.

I have purchased a tigerz11 winch cradle for my gq just wondering if anyone has had any issues with a tigerz11 winch cradle.

Just unsure about the quality of there winch cradles. And other parts they offer

Any advise would be great.

Regards
Michael

BigRAWesty
21st February 2013, 09:37 PM
Ummmn.... From what I've read I wouldn't be trusting it.
I'm a structural welder so Throw up a link and ill have a look at it.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
22nd February 2013, 06:11 AM
X 2 they don't do themselves {tigerz} favours with the build quality
or after sales service, IMO steer clear, never buy on price without advice

macca
22nd February 2013, 06:32 AM
The cradle is one thing I have from Tigerz (2 years) and can not fault it, I have had issues with some of their other products as documented here, but the cradle is a good product.... so far.
Pulled a Land Crab stuck in a bog with a triple pull, 2 snatch blocks, it did it without issue.
A link to the thread I did on that mod.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5714-My-winch-has-sclerosis-of-the-windings

Edit; I misunderstood cradle to mean the removable one that I use, seems you are talking about something to add to a non winch bar to mount your winch permanently.

trekster
22nd February 2013, 07:27 PM
If its the one I'm thinking of pretty sure its the same as a few others on ebay, they are 5mm rolled steel with universal holes cut out, and there are no welds in it at all. I have one of them and its quite solid indeed! Only thing I'm gonna be changing is getting some grade 12 bolts to bolt it in as when my warn came out new the best was grade 5 (I think)

This is the one I am talking about:
http://www.tigerz11.com.au/product-category/accessories/mounting-plate-12-000lb.html

Cheers.

BigRAWesty
22nd February 2013, 08:13 PM
If its the one I'm thinking of pretty sure its the same as a few others on ebay, they are 5mm rolled steel with universal holes cut out, and there are no welds in it at all. I have one of them and its quite solid indeed! Only thing I'm gonna be changing is getting some grade 12 bolts to bolt it in as when my warn came out new the best was grade 5 (I think)

http://www.tigerz11.com.au/product-category/accessories/mounting-plate-12-000lb.html

Cheers.

Imo I wouldnt use that with anything bigger than a 4000pound winch. when you have a good load on it, it'll twist, tear and I'd hate to see your chassis after.
They need support from the front, so all the for forces are running along the the rails from dead infront..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

krbrooking
22nd February 2013, 08:30 PM
Imo I would use that with anything bigger than a 4000pound winch. when you have a good load on it, it'll twist, tear and I'd hate to see your chassis after.
They need support from the front, so all the for forces are running along the the rails from dead infront..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Do you mean to mount it onto the front of the plate instead of the base plate. Do you also think that the shear rating on the bolts holding the cradle that go into the chassis will be high enough??

trekster
22nd February 2013, 08:33 PM
Imo I would use that with anything bigger than a 4000pound winch. when you have a good load on it, it'll twist, tear and I'd hate to see your chassis after.

I understand what your getting at, With the force in front etc, But in warns install manual they have a plate of that type with recommended steel of 3/16" - 1/4". Surely warn would know what they were talking about right with regards to installing a winch in that fashion. I would expect the weakest point of such an installation to be at the bolts as they have the smallest cross dimensional size.

BigRAWesty
22nd February 2013, 08:40 PM
Do you mean to mount it onto the front of the plate instead of the base plate. Do you also think that the shear rating on the bolts holding the cradle that go into the chassis will be high enough??

When you look at all the bull bars the winch is mounted so its pulling into the plate, which is the bolted to the sides of the chassis, but its pulling inline with the chassis.
You look at the cradle, sure its along the chassis, but the force is not inline with the bolts, its above it. So you'll get a lever action, where the winch will want to pull the back up and push the front down as all the forces try and line up..

4 m14 (i think) high tensile bolts done up to correct torque settings would be enough. When working with these forces its not only the strength of the bolt needs to contribute, but a majority is the friction created between the 2 plates.
So yes the 4 high tensile bolts would handle a big winch, but I don't think the cradle will..

Hope that makes sence..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

threedogs
22nd February 2013, 09:15 PM
Help me out here and read the fine print if you have the winch booklet,
you'll find it says "NOT FOR OFFROAD USE" I kid you not.
All the winch cradles I've made and seen have been 8mm minimum,
no brainer on grade 8 or better zinc bolts
You can't afford to have twist in the equation.
The answer is simple get one made, stay clear of tigerz IMO
read all the threads from ppl bitching after they paid bugger all for
a Tigerz product that either ,broke,ripped or just not up to scratch.
Not anti Tigerz just would never buy their product plenty of choices out there
dont take the cheapest option

trekster
22nd February 2013, 09:53 PM
This is similiar to the one I have in my booklet

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/images/57/38290D5_rs.pdf

Not 2nd guessing anyone here as I can see the point in the thicker material, Can't understand why warn would state this to people if it weren't up to the task?

megatexture
22nd February 2013, 10:10 PM
Has anyone actually got any first hand bad experience with the product ? Or is this a " it's tigers it must be s#|+. "
Scenario?

GQ TANK
22nd February 2013, 10:36 PM
I have the same cradle. & a alloy bar

There was No room for the cradle tofit above the chassis rails.

I cut the cradle so that it fitted between the chassis rails.

I then had 10mm right angle brackets made that I bolted & wleded to the back of the cradle . These brackets where then bolted to the 3 chassis bolts on each side of the inner front chassis rail of my gq.

I mounted my winch, then fitted the alloy bar. The cradle / winch sits inside the bar, I trimd the bar at the top to make room for the winch. I then cut a hole in the front of the bar and bolted the fairlea though the winch bar and into the holes on the winch craddle.

I have tested this set up and also used it to pull the truck out of a couple of mud holes - the system seems to be working well.

Im happy with the craddle

GQ TANK
22nd February 2013, 10:44 PM
Pictures explain it

There is a direc t pull on the cradle to the chaissis

BigRAWesty
22nd February 2013, 10:50 PM
Has anyone actually got any first hand bad experience with the product ? Or is this a " it's tigers it must be s#|+. "
Scenario?

Not experience, just pointing out a flaw which I think would cause some damage quite quickly if abused..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

taslucas
23rd February 2013, 07:16 AM
A mate bought a winch cradle off eBay not long ago. It wasn't a big brand name, just seemed like someone had got one laser cut for themselves and got extras done to sell. I don't know the name sorry, I'll try to find out. Anyway the quality and strength were really good. It was precision cut and had good clean welds. Its very strong looking. My mate is a boilermaker and quite capable of making his own stuff but he said for the price it was well worth it.
Sorry I'm vague on the sellers name, I'll try to find out:-)

FanTapstic!

trekster
23rd February 2013, 07:27 AM
Pictures of these setups would be great!

threedogs
23rd February 2013, 07:43 AM
Also you may find they are made from chinese steel.
This stuff is very inconsistant in structure, most times it
can't be cut or welded for its porous as all get out.
I and I take it Westy wouldn't be using 6mm material
Thats more likely the thinest you can go as 12mm would be overkill
be with lives at stake and safety I'll stay clear.IMO

@Lucas has the right idea how to mount it , on the chassis ,not bullbar
@ Makealift in the UK he made a winch cradle in his build up check that out

taslucas
23rd February 2013, 12:41 PM
A mate bought a winch cradle off eBay not long ago. It wasn't a big brand name, just seemed like someone had got one laser cut for themselves and got extras done to sell. I don't know the name sorry, I'll try to find out. Anyway the quality and strength were really good. It was precision cut and had good clean welds. Its very strong looking. My mate is a boilermaker and quite capable of making his own stuff but he said for the price it was well worth it.
Sorry I'm vague on the sellers name, I'll try to find out:-)

FanTapstic!

Just talked to my mate, he thinks the brand was patroldocta customs.

FanTapstic!

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2013, 12:56 PM
I'll be making a winch cradle to suit the winches I'm getting, and to fit to the factory gq alloy bar for mudnut.
If there is some want, ill template it and make a few for you guys.
Pm if your interested. But it possibly will be mid year.. hopefully no later..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

GQ TANK
23rd February 2013, 02:01 PM
There is a demand for cradles to suit the gq, as a lot of trucks are fitted with a alloy bar

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2013, 05:06 PM
I'll make a few then..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

threedogs
23rd February 2013, 05:10 PM
Kallen also make a plate that will slide down inside of chassis with 3 nuts welded on to pick up passenger
side bolt holes , this is a bullbar off fit up, captive nuts only on drivers side

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2013, 05:13 PM
Kallen also make a plate that will slide down inside of chassis with 3 nuts welded on to pick up passenger
side bolt holes , this is a bullbar off fit up, captive nuts only on drivers side

Good thinking mate

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

trekster
23rd February 2013, 07:24 PM
This is the cradle I will be modifying to fit to my patrol.

GQ TANK
23rd February 2013, 10:35 PM
Trekster, that looks like the TIGERz craddle that I used

Michael111
24th February 2013, 08:36 AM

Cheers.

Sorry i haven’t logged on when it becomes Thursday-Friday its time to start working.

Yes this is the cradle that i bought to me it looks very thin to support a heavy car, the winch that i bought was a warn vf12000 I’ve been looking at winch bars as i like the arb deluxe winch bar but then comes the price tag of wazers but at the same time i understand the saying "you get what you pay for'' a friend of mine told me to get an Australian engineered bull bar because f i run up the back of someone the insurance may not cover the damage caused to the car i hit as the bulbar is not Australian complied. Is this true?

BigRAWesty
24th February 2013, 05:09 PM
The only issue you have is air bag complicate.. if you have bags you need approved bars..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Michael111
25th February 2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for that Kallen, what would be the best bang for buck on getting a winch installed is there a bullbar maker that is made for gq's that is not over the top in price or is a winch cadle the way to go just not from tigerz?

threedogs
25th February 2013, 11:15 AM
Check out the MILLWELD range,,,,,,,,,,, Winnie has bar and side steps on his GQ and more than happy
as are most that buy MILLWELD,,,,,,, pricing not over the top either.,,,,,,,,,,,Worth a look IMO

I'm thinking laser cut the base plate with some universal bolt patterns for the different winches out there
plus some drain holes 8mm maybe $25, nice strong base to start the cradle

Winnie
25th February 2013, 11:45 AM
Millweld bar for GQ is $1250.not over the top when you consider an arb bar is $1600

Michael111
26th February 2013, 06:52 AM
Millweld bar for GQ is $1250.not over the top when you consider an arb bar is $1600

Hi Winnie is this a millweld bullbar?

threedogs
26th February 2013, 07:05 AM
Yeah pretty sure its Millweld and suits the GQ to a T IMO.
He swapped it off his other GQ,

Winnie
26th February 2013, 07:19 AM
Yep it's the Millweld commercial bar.

Michael111
2nd March 2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks for evryones help i ended up buying a arb delux winch bar found a 2nd hand one for $380 and is in a1 condition