PDA

View Full Version : GU Patrol Bash plate and steering protection

Lieney
21st February 2013, 07:51 PM
I have searched the Forum, but cannot find;
Please help me if you can, cause I'm probably blind.:trink13:

I have just drawn up a plan to fabricate a steering protector and a shroud that goes from bulbar to the bottom of the radiator.
I looked at the Bush-Skins one and love it, but just can't part with that sort of coin. Not doubting the product as I have heard nothing but good things about them. (I'm just as tight as a goldfish).

I reckon my plan is almost spot on, but need to actually make one to ensure it's accuracy.:1087:

If anyone has a detailed and accurate plan to make one; or you make and sell them please let me know. Buying a pre-made one might be an option if the price is right.
clieneman@yahoo.com.au

megatexture
21st February 2013, 08:31 PM
You could try contacting mal h as he has made some but I'm not sure if he's doing them still or just the diff guard http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6556-Harris-Hardcase-Does-it-AGAIN!!!/page4

threedogs
22nd February 2013, 06:22 AM
IMO I thought the Bush skinz was well priced compared to others on the market.
Bloke I know pulled in a favour from a mate and made his from 12mm alloy.
even has stainless NISSAN cut and pressed into alloy, talk about
"cause I can" lol I'll grab a pic next time I'm up that way.

BigRAWesty
22nd February 2013, 08:09 AM
IMO I thought the Bush skinz was well priced compared to others on the market.
Bloke I know pulled in a favour from a mate and made his from 12mm alloy.
even has stainless NISSAN cut and pressed into alloy, talk about
"cause I can" lol I'll grab a pic next time I'm up that way.

Geeze that is a bit la-de-da ain't it TD...

Imo I can't see the need for radiator, steering box sump protection.. everything on the patrol is tucked up away nicely..

Diff protection, if you feel like it.

But the rest imo I'd just wasted weight..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

cossy
22nd February 2013, 09:20 AM
I found this on the wed

BigRAWesty
22nd February 2013, 09:25 AM
I found this on the wed

Were does that bolt to??

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudski
22nd February 2013, 09:38 AM
I have which looks to be an OEM steering guard on my troll which is made of plastic. Looks like the Bush Skins ones are just a copy of that. I had always looked at it and pondered on the idea of removing it and getting one made up in metal...

Lieney
27th February 2013, 11:10 PM
Geeze that is a bit la-de-da ain't it TD...

Imo I can't see the need for radiator, steering box sump protection.. [/URL]

Westy, it's not for radiator, sump or steering box protection. The steering bash plate is there to deflect logs, rocks & debris from hitting the steering arm & damper, but I so plan to customise mine by engraving in the front. Just something nice.
The other plate replaces the plastic crap that goes from the bottom of the OEM bull bar to the radiator. It simply directs the air through the radiator. also looks nice if your lying on your back as it is currently shiny. (Wont last long)
12mm plate with embossed Nissan ay?!? Wow.
Mines currently 3mm aluminium chequer plate and is a base template for one I plan to make from stainless.

Stropp
28th February 2013, 06:18 PM
I have been looking for the plate to direct air to the radiator as my plastic shite was missing when i bought the patrol, i have the bushskinz sterring protector but want the other one in metal just for my own satisfaction so if anyone knows where i can get one let me know please. thx stropp

Bloggsy
28th February 2013, 06:51 PM
I have been looking for the plate to direct air to the radiator as my plastic shite was missing when i bought the patrol, i have the bushskinz sterring protector but want the other one in metal just for my own satisfaction so if anyone knows where i can get one let me know please. thx stropp

Not sure if it's the same one you are talking about Stropp, but Mike (XLR8) makes a replacement guard.

Stropp
28th February 2013, 08:06 PM
Not sure if it's the same one you are talking about Stropp, but Mike (XLR8) makes a replacement guard.

Thanks mate will ask him!

Pepper
28th February 2013, 08:23 PM
mine is ex mines specification they fitted conveyor belting from bullbar to under sump they then have two guards (steel) under gearbox and transfer case (note no scrape marks on these guards,can send email photos to anyone interested..

megatexture
28th February 2013, 08:39 PM
Yes please mate that sounds like an easy fit

Alitis007
28th February 2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks mate will ask him!

I was thinking of making one aswell coz my plastic fantastic steering guard is gone!! All thats left is some plastic and 4 bolts, mind you thats how i bought it lol

This question is for the welders!!

Because i don't have a bending tool, i was going cut out the pieces and weld it all together ( triple run passes) but i know stitch welding is more flexible but i was going to run solid fillets down the seams. I was also thinking about welding in strips of steel 90degrees to the welds for re-enforcement so it acts like the edges of C channel or H beam, what are your thoughts about that ????