PDA

View Full Version : Brake problem

Lawrence
21st February 2013, 01:37 AM
Hi fellows. Since recently, i noticed that when i press on the brakes, when coming to a stop, sometimes the vehicle runs on a couple feet before stopping. It doesnt happen everytime, but now and then. I also hear an inconsistent knocking sound coming from somewhere underneath the car. It happens once in a while and i dont know if it is related to the brake issue. I will be checking with my mechanic, but i wanted to know if anybody had any ideas as to what it could be. I tested the booster as per the manual, but it seem to be tight. The brake isnt spongy, when i step on it, but quite hard.

kevin07
21st February 2013, 07:37 AM
quite hard peddle probably you may have a seized piston

BigRAWesty
21st February 2013, 08:25 AM
First up, brakes..
Check your Vacuum system. On erarlier gq's the pump is mounted to the altinator, later and in the gu's its an independent pump.
With the car running (if safe to do so) pull the hoses off starting at the pump and feel the suction. Work your way along line untill you find an issue...

Secondly, the clunk.. retension the radius arm bolts on the diff. I had a loose on and as you brake, accelerate or go threw holes your diff rotates and the bolt slips..
Retension to 100ft/pound, hopefully you get to yours early and it hasn't flogged out yet.

Let us know how you go.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Lawrence
22nd February 2013, 01:41 AM
First up, brakes..
Check your Vacuum system. On erarlier gq's the pump is mounted to the altinator, later and in the gu's its an independent pump.
With the car running (if safe to do so) pull the hoses off starting at the pump and feel the suction. Work your way along line untill you find an issue...

Secondly, the clunk.. retension the radius arm bolts on the diff. I had a loose on and as you brake, accelerate or go threw holes your diff rotates and the bolt slips..
Retension to 100ft/pound, hopefully you get to yours early and it hasn't flogged out yet.

Let us know how you go.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)
Thanks, i will try that. What if there is no suction, does than mean the pump is bad (its on the back of the alternator), I had replaced it a couple years ago, after it went bad suddenly and caused oil to leak from it

Lawrence
22nd February 2013, 01:42 AM
quite hard peddle probably you may have a seized piston

I will do a check on that. The left caliper needs to be serviced, but would it cause this problem?