PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions please

tassie wombat
18th February 2013, 09:41 PM
gday,ive gotta lift the rear of the wagon(2004) by 1"(to take me up to 3" of lift),
so my questions are this-
would 1" coil spacers in the rear be legal?
even if they are should i just fork out for some new rear coils?
looking at getting it engineered with the lift and tyres etc,thanks

93patrol
18th February 2013, 09:42 PM
get air bags IMO takes the weight better and is adjustable for loads in the back and trailer/campers

megatexture
18th February 2013, 09:47 PM
I'd just get new new lift anything else is a band aid and could be wasted cash if your not happy with it. Why do you need the extra on the back are the coils sagging ?

tassie wombat
18th February 2013, 09:53 PM
I'd just get new new lift anything else is a band aid and could be wasted cash if your not happy with it. Why do you need the extra on the back are the coils sagging ?
no not sagging but i had another set of front coils laying around which gave me 3" of lift but the rear only sits at 2"

threedogs
18th February 2013, 10:08 PM
Spacer not my cup of tea, you'll have same travel just think it stuffs up how the coil works
nah spacers yucky.
put the taller ones in the rear give you a downhill look but will level out if loaded or towing

megatexture
18th February 2013, 10:25 PM
Spend the extra and do it right but that's me, will depend on budget

Northern Lad
19th February 2013, 03:13 PM
just be careful that you don't exceed the height on you shocks!

megatexture
19th February 2013, 03:22 PM
Have you possibly put the left coils in the front and right coils at the back as the driver side coils are slightly longer than passenger side, that might make it sit wrong and might have a small lean also just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Morton
22nd February 2013, 11:11 PM
spacers are a good simple temporary solution but I wouldnt bother for long term, rear springs take appx 20 minutes to fit & wont affect your brake line or shocks if your shocks are for a 2" lift, I use 30mm spacers but I fit them on big heavy loaded trips, takes me 20 minutes to fit them in, easier to store in the garage than another set of springs, cheaper too, just remember they may be illegal in most places in Australia so your insurance Company may have something to say about it in a serious accident, I am not a fan of air bags unless you do more touring than off road wheeling, pressures in the bag can cause the rear upper spring hangers to fail in a GU, unfortunately more common than most people know, there is a better stronger aftermarket hanger available for the rear spring if you are carrying a constant large weight, no Engineer would approve spacers anyway

Robo
23rd February 2013, 01:54 PM
So is 3" legal in Tassie ?.
Here in nsw 2" is it, unless you get enginer cert.

taslucas
23rd February 2013, 02:17 PM
gday,ive gotta lift the rear of the wagon(2004) by 1"(to take me up to 3" of lift),
so my questions are this-
would 1" coil spacers in the rear be legal?
even if they are should i just fork out for some new rear coils?
looking at getting it engineered with the lift and tyres etc,thanks

Yeah if your concerned about keeping it legal then can't go 3" in suspension lift in Tassie. Here we can legally go up to 3" overall raised height for body lift, suspension lift and bigger tyres combined but none of those can be more than 2" separately.
Max legal lift is:
2" body lift
2" susp lift
2" bigger than factory fitted tyres ( so 33" on a trol. Remember 2" bigger tyres will only lift the vehicle 1" higher)

Having said that though, I know plenty of guys that drive bigger rigs everyday with no hassles from the cops. Insurance is another thing though

FanTapstic!

tassie wombat
23rd February 2013, 02:17 PM
got the approval in principal from the transport yesterday,pretty sure our rules are similar to yours so yep its going to the engineer very soon!
and thanks for all the replies,im going to match up a rear set of springs on monday.

Morton
23rd February 2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah if your concerned about keeping it legal then can't go 3" in suspension lift in Tassie. Here we can legally go up to 3" overall raised height for body lift, suspension lift and bigger tyres combined but none of those can be more than 2" separately.
Max legal lift is:
2" body lift
2" susp lift
2" bigger than factory fitted tyres ( so 33" on a trol. Remember 2" bigger tyres will only lift the vehicle 1" higher)

Having said that though, I know plenty of guys that drive bigger rigs everyday with no hassles from the cops. Insurance is another thing though

FanTapstic!

I think you will find that a body lift in any state of Australia is illegal, most it is 2" susp. lift & 32" tyres for a GQ & 33" tyres for a GU, this will keep you legal in any state & territory with no hassles form Insurance companys, plus -13mm offset rims is legal

Dominator
23rd February 2013, 09:36 PM
I think you will find that a body lift in any state of Australia is illegal, most it is 2" susp. lift & 32" tyres for a GQ & 33" tyres for a GU, this will keep you legal in any state & territory with no hassles form Insurance companys, plus -13mm offset rims is legal

Body lift is definitely legal in QLD. You do need to get it engineered though.

As said above since the NCOP
2in suspension
2in overall increase in tyre diameter so a 33 on a GQ is legal but must be engineer blue plated.

If you want to add a 2in body lift you have to have lane change test done as well.

Robo
24th February 2013, 10:09 AM
sorry for Hi jack.
but may be of interest.

The engineer I was in dialogue with in NSW lead me to understand lift was lift , so to speak.

"If the vehicle pre-dates SRS airbags, this can be a combination
of body and suspension lift, with no more than 50mm bodylift.
SRS airbag equipped vehicles cannot have a body lift unless it can be
proven to comply with the airbags, and I've never been able to get that".

cheers

GQ TANK
2nd March 2013, 12:16 AM
The gq came out with the option of 750 r16 tyres. A 750 r16 tyre is 32"