PDA

View Full Version : Lock Right Diff Lockers

moogie
18th February 2013, 07:57 PM
I'm lookin at a cheaper alternative for a diff lock and seen on ebay that there a "lockright difflockers" on there was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? only want it for the front diff and the lsd in the rear works fine..

to go my SWB 88 patrol.

threedogs
18th February 2013, 08:01 PM
They work when you put your foot down, compromising your steering
Not a big fan thats why I have one sitting in a bucket in my shed,
save your money and fit an air or electric locker
then you decide when its on or off

AB
18th February 2013, 08:09 PM
I'm disagreeing with 3D on this one if your on a budget like most of us.

I love mine mate, best purchase to date on my GQ.

The steering is a little bit tighter but anyone who complains about it is a sook and should drive a Yaris. It's not that bad really.

You do have to change your driving slightly. My style has now changed to using 1st and 2nd gear 4H a lot so you can just throw it back in 2H all the time on the easy stuff to stop wind up and have easier steering.

Throw it in 4L for the heavy stuff and you will love it!

Best decision I have ever made mate!

Winnie
18th February 2013, 08:16 PM
I've seen Andy's drive style first hand and boy, he is full of class! I had to really wind my old unlocked TB42 up to get up some of the hills,really sink the boot in. AB almost idled up everything with the lokka. Full of class!!

Morton
18th February 2013, 08:32 PM
big fan of them aswell, mine is magic, crawl up almost anything

taslucas
18th February 2013, 08:32 PM
I've seen Andy's drive style first hand and boy, he is full of class! I had to really wind my old unlocked TB42 up to get up some of the hills,really sink the boot in. AB almost idled up everything with the lokka. Full of Ass!!

FanTapstic!

Ben-e-boy
18th February 2013, 08:33 PM
AB's driving style was the best thing he bought home from Qld.
:bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::b igthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup:

I have a lock rite in mine and I do like a challenge. I agree with AB about the steering and being a sook. You can lock and unlock it with a quick (small) stab of the throttle.

You wont be dissapointed

macca86
18th February 2013, 08:51 PM
Only used my lokka a couple of times and im learning how to drive it but what a difference makes life easy and the steering is not bad at all

megatexture
18th February 2013, 08:59 PM
I thinking this might be the option for me also, any one priced one for a GU lately ? And got fitting price separate ? I just can't justify the price for a manual locker...

Ben-e-boy
18th February 2013, 09:07 PM
I thinking this might be the option for me also, any one priced one for a GU lately ? And got fitting price separate ? I just can't justify the price for a manual locker...

I'd guess about 4-5 hour labour @$70-80/hour.

including buying it you should get change out of a grand

Maxhead
18th February 2013, 09:09 PM

Was Scotty doing air lockers in his new venture??? Might be worth checking out

growler2058
18th February 2013, 09:12 PM
Ive got a LoKKa best $400 ive spent on my ol battle axe. I fitted mine myself but fitting was also $400 if required

macca86
18th February 2013, 09:13 PM
I was under 920 installed I think

megatexture
18th February 2013, 10:05 PM
Yea I'd be doing it myself would be the first time pulling apart a diff but I've done similar stuff so I think I'll manage

moogie
19th February 2013, 09:47 AM
Awesome cheers everyone looks like im going for it then.. which brand have ya's got? i was looking at the spartan or the richmond...

also have ordered a new carby for my tb42 a holley conversion off ebay, anyone done this?

macca86
19th February 2013, 10:26 AM
If you want an air locker then contact big rig here his company are doing them cheap too.

growler2058
19th February 2013, 10:31 AM
Mines a LoKKa from 4wd systems

Sent from the crapper while on tappa

Wine_maker
20th February 2013, 08:53 PM
Hi guys!
I’m also thinking about buying lokka for myself.
But I have some doubts. I can explain why, and maybe with your help I will make right decision.
I live in country with sharp continental climate in a big city, so sometimes we have ice on our roads. With lokka in rear axle the car will drift when I will try to turn right or left on the crossroad on icy road.
But if I change my hubs from auto to manual and fit lokka to front axle it won't change my steering at all. I will use front axle only when I really need it.
Am I right or did I miss something?

megatexture
20th February 2013, 09:03 PM
Yea sounds like your on track front will only come into play in 4hi or 4low

I don't think it matters if you have auto or man hubs I think they are just recommended when you have a locker but if some one else can confirm would be good

Drewboyaus
20th February 2013, 10:09 PM
I was going to put a Detroit locker in my front end (GQ) and have decided instead to save my beans for an eLocker from Harrop.
Have a look at importing a Detroit locker from the states.....will save you plenty. Even with postage included.
I preferred the Detroit of all the auto types because apparently its action is smoother than the Richmond/Spartan/LockRite etc.
Haven't used one, that was just from talking to different people and researching on the web.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Northern Lad
20th February 2013, 10:27 PM
I have been thinking about one also but i need to do some more research i think!

macca86
20th February 2013, 11:13 PM
I barely notice my lokka except in the steering but even then its not that heavy in a gu anyway might want a gu steering box in a gq if using an auto locker

megatexture
21st February 2013, 12:03 AM
Was Scotty doing air lockers in his new venture??? Might be worth checking out

Yea he is from what Ive read but selling as a front rear pair.

my concern with getting front/rear lockers is will you need to engage the lockers more regularly as you will have an open diff and no LSD in the back

Ben-e-boy
21st February 2013, 09:07 AM
if you are off road just keep the rear one locked