PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a Tacho in an Mq Sd33?

79raven
17th February 2013, 11:26 AM
hey guys, looking on here and the net and can find heaps of stuff on how to run a tacho in an sd33t but not an sd33.
I have an 83 Mq Sd33 4 speed manual and would like to install a little 2" tacho just to keep an eye out on the rev's. Can it be done?

the ferret
17th February 2013, 01:05 PM
There should be a sensor screwed into the front of the engine block, wires go from there to the tacho, I have an sd33na in the boat and it has a tacho.
Cheers, the ferret.

79raven
17th February 2013, 01:08 PM
Legend. Thanks mate. Didn't want a boy racer monster tacho just something to see what rev's she is doing at 100 and other speeds.

Yendor
17th February 2013, 01:09 PM
I'm guessing you don't have the cover plate in your engine that you can remove and fit the RPM sensor?

There are a few other option.

You use to be able to buy tachos that would run of the alternator, most times you would need to pull the alternator apart and connect a wire to the stator, measure pulley sizes and then order the tacho to suit. I don't think you can buy these anymore.

There are ones where you strap an induction type pick up around the alternator such as this one by Auto Meter

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2602&sid=12

The other week I stumbled on this website and thought it looked pretty good.

http://tinytach.com/diesel.php

I haven't had any experience with the last two option so you will need to look into them and make sure they are comparable with your vehicle.

I have installed the first one in a Land Rover and it worked well.

79raven
17th February 2013, 01:25 PM
I'm guessing you don't have the cover plate in your engine that you can remove and fit the RPM sensor?
Mate, no idea. I have owned this Mq since last Thursday and apart from driving it home she has sat out the front due to 2 crap batteries. I did read something about the SD33T's having some kind of plate, but I couldt find anything about it for my Sd33 N/a. Where's the plate?
Also Ferret, where abouts is the mount you were talking about too please? Im green around the gills with distilate cars and know nothing about the Sd33 engine apart from driving it home and what I have read on the net.
Sorry

the ferret
17th February 2013, 01:37 PM
Looking at the injector pump from the RH side, there is a short bent pipe running from the injector pump cover, down to the block, to the right of this, you will see an oval shaped plate about 40mm long with two bolts.
This is where the pick up for the tacho goes.
The one for the sd33t should fit.
Some tachos can be made to run off the alternator as well. EDIT( Sorry, Yendor has pointed that out as well lol)
Cheers, the ferret.

Yendor
17th February 2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks Rod, I knew he was going to ask exactly where it was.

The Ferret and I are talking about the same thing.

On vehicles that had a factory tacho fitted an RPM sensor was fitted to the engine, vehicle that didn't have the tacho, a plate was fitted instead, although some people have said theirs has neither.