PDA

View Full Version : UHF Radio Channel

Kev223
16th February 2013, 02:55 PM
Hello People I’m wondering is there a standard UHF Channel that we sit on while driving around to warn each other about road conditions or other unfortunate things on the side of the roads ?

MEGOMONSTER
16th February 2013, 03:05 PM
Hello People I’m wondering is there a standard UHF Channel that we sit on while driving around to warn each other about road conditions or other unfortunate things on the side of the roads ?

I like it, good idea, well how bout it, consensus on what channel.

MC97GQ
16th February 2013, 03:10 PM
I believe channel 11 is designated for caravans and touring groups,

My mates and I use 18 thru to 21 when we are out and about, which seems not to have to many gumby's on them.

Mark

Kev223
16th February 2013, 03:11 PM
I now truckies use channel 40 I’ve been saved a few times using that channel but there’s a lot of more vehicles on the road if we all utilise either this cannel or just get one for ourselves.

MC97GQ
16th February 2013, 03:16 PM
Channel 40 is the designated road channel(Truckies), it comes in very handy down my way, as on the Princes Highway between Batemans Bay and Eden there are quite a few narrow lane bridges ie two trucks cannot pass each other on these bridges.

So when the trucks are approaching North or Southbound they warn any other trucks traveling in the area, Great idea and I reckon has saved a lot of collisions on these bridges.

But it's bloody ridiculous to have such narrow bridges on a major highway.

Mark

the evil twin
16th February 2013, 04:32 PM
I believe channel 11 is designated for caravans and touring groups,

My mates and I use 18 thru to 21 when we are out and about, which seems not to have to many gumby's on them.

Mark

Channel 11...
is the allocated UHF CB band "Calling Channel". To be really anal about it, everyone should monitor that channel, use it to "call" others up then switch to another channel to have a chat. Hardly anyone does tho (me included)

Channel 10...
is the 4 Wheel drive Channel for Drivers, Convoys, Clubs etc so you don't have to use 11 to call etc

Channel 18...
is the Caravan channel (IE their version of Channel 10). Thats why you see so many with Channel 18/40 painted on the back

Channel 20...
For some reason in WA Channel 20 has been adopted as the local version of Channel 10. I don't know why or how it came about and I don't know anyone who monitors 10 but almost everyone listens out on 20... go figure

threedogs
16th February 2013, 04:57 PM
Evil got it right 11 for general chit chat
18 for caravans and motorhomes
10 for 4wd clubs on outings
40 for trucks
This is VIC only
I suspect 18 is Aust wide,
when offroad pick your own channel say 26 to keep general one clear

stevogq
16th February 2013, 05:12 PM
I've always wanted to know that, great topic

When I'm on the 4b I just put the uhf on scan and listen to all the crap on all channels
cheers stevo.

threedogs
16th February 2013, 05:19 PM
If we go to Murray we use 26 then anyone saying hello normally in our group.
Thats if remmber to turn it on Sorry guys lol

MC97GQ
16th February 2013, 05:45 PM
Channel 11...
is the allocated UHF CB band "Calling Channel". To be really anal about it, everyone should monitor that channel, use it to "call" others up then switch to another channel to have a chat. Hardly anyone does tho (me included)

Channel 10...
is the 4 Wheel drive Channel for Drivers, Convoys, Clubs etc so you don't have to use 11 to call etc

Channel 18...
is the Caravan channel (IE their version of Channel 10). Thats why you see so many with Channel 18/40 painted on the back

Channel 20...
For some reason in WA Channel 20 has been adopted as the local version of Channel 10. I don't know why or how it came about and I don't know anyone who monitors 10 but almost everyone listens out on 20... go figure

Thanks ET for putting that straight,

One thing I thought I would also mention is Channel 5 and 35 are Emergency channels and should only be used in the case of a genuine emergency.

These channels are monitored by volunteer personnel, so if you do have to use these channels always be polite and patient.

Mark

Bloodyaussie
16th February 2013, 05:48 PM
I try and use 17 on 4wd trips as I find it is less busy?? dont know if it is because it is an odd number???

ova50
16th February 2013, 08:31 PM
What a great short thread.!!!!!!!!

What great informative answers.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

MEGOMONSTER
17th February 2013, 09:21 AM
If we go to Murray we use 26 then anyone saying hello normally in our group.
Thats if remmber to turn it on Sorry guys lol

That right 3dogs, next time leave it on, you too BoB