PDA

View Full Version : GU Pillar Pods

maverick01
16th February 2013, 02:32 PM
I suppose most have probably already read my other post about GU Tuning.

Well before i can do that i need some gauges. Well i have settled on the VDO brand as they are easy to read. I had autometer gauges in my GQ and they were crap.

Anyway i need a pillar pod, now i havent seen the extreme limits type in person but there are a few comments on ebay saying they are over priced and very flimsy and occasionally dont fit properly. I think there brand is autron.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with them or have another good brand to buy.

Please dont comment if your going to ramble on saying pillar pods are illegal.

MEGOMONSTER
16th February 2013, 02:43 PM
I have the Autron pillar pod with Autron EGT/ Boost and dual volt gauges. The I would say is very good, you can barely tell its aftermarket. Only the very top is not perfect with a 2-3mm gap, which I think it's where they removed the old one and push the roof in a bit. See photo.

PS: mines in a GU8.

threedogs
16th February 2013, 02:46 PM
I have pillar pod from 4x4 concepts great price easy fit, cant fault it

PIC SOON

maverick01
16th February 2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys, 3Dogs how does yours fit in comparison to megomonster

threedogs
16th February 2013, 05:24 PM
Nice and tight no gaps Adrian originally sent wrong colour but swapped over quickly can PM his Mobile if needed

maverick01
16th February 2013, 06:48 PM
Yea that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 3dogs

Morton
17th February 2013, 07:14 PM
Nice and tight no gaps Adrian originally sent wrong colour but swapped over quickly can PM his Mobile if needed

what did this complete set-up cost you? not including fitting

Lonicus
17th February 2013, 07:21 PM
I have the same pod as TD, with Autometer boost and pyro gauges, total cost delivered was under $400.

Morton
18th February 2013, 07:19 PM
I have the same pod as TD, with Autometer boost and pyro gauges, total cost delivered was under $400.

was that from the same mob?

Lonicus
18th February 2013, 07:22 PM
Nope. Sam-Leo is the guy I got the gauges from, on EBay, good guy to deal with. Got the pod from the same mob as Threedogs got his from.

threedogs
18th February 2013, 07:26 PM
Pods around $80-$90 from memory colour coded,
just type in pillar pod on Ebay, 4x4 concepts pre drill hole to suit a 52mm guage as well
easy fit just remove holy crap bar ,thats it,,,, refit bar ,,,,done

grimace
18th February 2013, 09:02 PM
g'day lonicus, i too bought the autometer guages from samleo on ebay and he was good to deal with however my pyro sometimes plays up with the needle going all the way round to full sometimes. i contacted samleo and at first he was willing to help but then he stopped emailing me so i went directly to autometer and they told me that the pyro guage needs to be earthed straight to the battery otherwise they can be faulty. apart from this i think they are a great guage and for under $300 they are good quality for the coin, cheers......

Lonicus
18th February 2013, 09:09 PM
Hi Grimace. I have noticed that the pyro needle goes almost all the way round when car is warm and power is turned off. Once power is on though the gauge reads accurately as far as I can tell. Good to know about the earth though, will keep that in mind if I have any problems with it.

Winnie
18th February 2013, 09:13 PM
Hi Grimace. I have noticed that the pyro needle goes almost all the way round when car is warm and power is turned off. Once power is on though the gauge reads accurately as far as I can tell. Good to know about the earth though, will keep that in mind if I have any problems with it.

My automater Pyro does exactly the same.

Lonicus
18th February 2013, 09:17 PM
Just using a chassis earth on my pyro Winnie, so maybe it needs a direct earth. No biggie while the gauge reads accurately, might change the earth one day if I need to pull the dash apart again.

Winnie
18th February 2013, 09:19 PM
Wouldn't have a clue how mine is wired, was fitted by previous owner (an auto electrician)

megatexture
18th February 2013, 09:22 PM
I have the Autron pillar pod with Autron EGT/ Boost and dual volt gauges. The I would say is very good, you can barely tell its aftermarket. Only the very top is not perfect with a 2-3mm gap, which I think it's where they removed the old one and push the roof in a bit. See photo.

PS: mines in a GU8.

Mego just pull back the rubber trim and push in a chunk of sponge to push it out with a little pressure.

maverick01
19th February 2013, 04:24 PM
Hi 3Dogs, Are you able to email me the mobile number for adrian in regards to the pillar pod please.

Thanks mate

MEGOMONSTER
19th February 2013, 05:37 PM
Mego just pull back the rubber trim and push in a chunk of sponge to push it out with a little pressure.

Doesn't really bother me, I wanted to fix it when I first noticed it but now it's in the "Can't Be F...ed Basket".

threedogs
19th February 2013, 06:22 PM
PM on its way Say Hi for me, Shite wish I was on comish

rotor138
25th February 2013, 05:15 PM
I've also got the pillar pod from 4x4 concepts and E series autometer gauges from Sam Leo who has the cheapest prices on Autometer products by far!!

Beni C
17th February 2015, 10:45 AM
Dig dig diggin!!

I am finally going to get around to wacking in the Pyro and Boost guages as I am in the market for a new exhaust, can someone send me the details of this Sam Leo dude so I can get me guages cheap cheap?

I have found the 4x4 Concepts Pillar Pods, do people recommend going with them?

Xtreme
17th February 2015, 11:03 AM
I got the same pillar pods, I used SAAS gauges also very easy to read but EGT gauge goes way over what is needed however works great for me. When I installed mine some threads and instructions state to remove the existing one, some say mount over the top. I went for mount over the top and it fit perfect and still looks factory.

threedogs
17th February 2015, 11:12 AM
4x4 Concepts are the only ones going around that do a pillar pod both left and right.
I have been giving ppl Adrians [boss] phone number but seems he doesnt
want to answer his phone these days his loss but if you read this contact me
you have my details

threedogs
17th February 2015, 11:18 AM
g'day lonicus, i too bought the autometer guages from samleo on ebay and he was good to deal with however my pyro sometimes plays up with the needle going all the way round to full sometimes. i contacted samleo and at first he was willing to help but then he stopped emailing me so i went directly to autometer and they told me that the pyro guage needs to be earthed straight to the battery otherwise they can be faulty. apart from this i think they are a great guage and for under $300 they are good quality for the coin, cheers......

Did earthing straight to the battery fix the problem??

Beni C
17th February 2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks TD, what about this Sam Leo dud for the Autometer guages?

Cuppa
17th February 2015, 06:51 PM
4x4 Concepts are the only ones going around that do a pillar pod both left and right.
I have been giving ppl Adrians [boss] phone number but seems he doesnt
want to answer his phone these days his loss but if you read this contact me
you have my details

Yep, I tried TD, not sure what’s going on there, I could only get voice mail. Left messages but no-one got back to me. Ended up just buying via the web site - it still says my order is being processed weeks after I received it.

That said, I’m quite happy with the product......... probably just as well!
Wife reckons it looks good, so that’s a bonus.