PDA

View Full Version : Evans Coolant

nickpeacock36
16th February 2013, 09:46 AM
www.evanscooling.com/products/coolants/
I mentioned this stuff in another post but nobody replied.
Its waterless coolant which totally eliminates pressure in the system and can handle much higher temps than standard stuff with ease. Surely this stuff could help save zd30 problems.
Come on mechanics! What do you think?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using
Tapatalk 2

threedogs
16th February 2013, 10:35 AM
It maybe too corrosive like/similar to Dozer or backhoe coolants,
put up the spec sheet someone here may be able to tell us.

nickpeacock36
16th February 2013, 11:59 AM
Have a look on the site i attached. I Dont think its corrosive as it was developed for race cars not industrial equipment. I came accross it on a uk tvprog where they used it on an old Triumph Stag, a car notorious for overheating. It is more expensive but lasts a lot longer.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

threedogs
16th February 2013, 12:27 PM
Sounds ok You would need 2 but under $100 is still cheap , have you shot them an email
on compatability???suitability????

nickpeacock36
16th February 2013, 12:49 PM
No i havent yet but will do so right now. Those are us prices by the way but as it lasts a lifetime so gotta be cheaper in the long run.

Benno7
16th February 2013, 02:00 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but Coolant only raises the boiling temp of the water it doesn't Aid with keeping the Fluid/engine temps down. so if your needing the boiling temp of the coolant higher you have a problem with your cooling system.

nickpeacock36
16th February 2013, 04:29 PM
No problem with mine anymore as it was rebuilt. But this stuff doesnt expand so no pressure in the engine and cooling system.
This is why i asked the question. Im not a mechanic and im qurious if there is any advantage.
New stuff like this is always worth a look at dont you think?

Parksy
17th February 2013, 11:23 AM
Fluid expanding in an enclosed system like the coolant system will always build up pressure. One of the benefits of having the fluid under pressure is that this is what raises the boiling point of the coolant.
Though this stuff claims not to expand so I'm very curious as to how it works.

nipagu7
17th February 2013, 05:08 PM
I think in a normal cooling system the coolant heats up over 100 degrees causeing water to become steam , creating pressure . coolants help transfer heat out thru the radiator a little faster but i think that is a byproduct of their main job , that is , stopping corrosian , which would otherwise build up and form an insulating layer between the water and radiator flutes and slowing heat transfer . In the long term corrosian would block the radiator as well as corrode thru it and the engine block and head . If you heat up fluid it must expand , but it may it may be minimal . Without water in the mix it might not gas ( steam ) off , thus negating the need to pressurise the system . But never use straight coolant , it is acidic and will eat thru your radiator and block. This evans coolant looks interesting .

nickpeacock36
19th February 2013, 02:14 PM
I got a reply from Evans.They say the coolant is ok for any liquid cooled engine. So fine to use with zd30s

mudnut
2nd March 2015, 07:03 PM
I was just watching an episode of 4wd pro tips and this product was advertised. I too am wondering if anyone here has switched to it and have good or bad experiences with it.

the evil twin
2nd March 2015, 07:17 PM
I think in a normal cooling system the coolant heats up over 100 degrees causeing water to become steam , creating pressure . coolants help transfer heat out thru the radiator a little faster but i think that is a byproduct of their main job , that is , stopping corrosian , which would otherwise build up and form an insulating layer between the water and radiator flutes and slowing heat transfer . In the long term corrosian would block the radiator as well as corrode thru it and the engine block and head . If you heat up fluid it must expand , but it may it may be minimal . Without water in the mix it might not gas ( steam ) off , thus negating the need to pressurise the system . But never use straight coolant , it is acidic and will eat thru your radiator and block. This evans coolant looks interesting .

Pretty much agree but the water doesn't become steam at 100 degrees.
The cooling systems are pressurised to raise the boiling point so it doesn't become steam.
If you get steam in your cooling system it is really bad juju and the temp will rocket up.

The boiling point in a 10 PSI water only system is around 115 degrees C and a 14 PSI cap will be around 120 deg C
(rough rule of thumb is 1 degree C per PSI)
Other additives and coolant mixes will raise the temp further

On the rare occasions it got that high I used to back off at 105 to 108 on the Scangauge in my CRD which is also when the temp gauge moves towards the upper end of the "operating band".

mudnut
2nd March 2015, 07:43 PM
The fact sheet shows its boiling point. http://contrails.free.fr/temp/NPG+_MSDS.PDF Around 190 degrees C.

On second thoughts I'll stick with what I've got, because I have to remove the radiator every 100000ks to replace the Timing belt.

threedogs
3rd March 2015, 10:13 AM
I googled some ppl who used it and the overall feeling is things will be warmer even your oil temp.
You need a few things going for you in a cooling system a radiator thats big enough for the motor,
A decent fan to pull/push sufficient air through through the radiator, A decent water pump
and a block thats free of scale and other nasties.
If you are thinking of using this I'd suggest you get the radiator,fan and water pump right.
And get a thermostat that suits the climate you're in, going warmer in a thermostat is not necessarily
better a colder one might hold the water in the radiator longer.