PDA

View Full Version : More tb42e questions

Parksy
13th February 2013, 04:44 PM
Hi all

Have got the patrol running almost spot on. Have recently adjusted the valves and found the clearances was massive. So set them to correct specs and the engine is surprisingly quiet now.
Have drained the oil and chucked cheap stuff in and an oil flush additive and idled the car for 30 mins. Oil came out black. Chucked some Penrith hpr 30 in and a new filter.
Car returns surprisingly good economy.

I still have a consistent miss at idle though and starting it in the morning still requires me to feather the accelerator. Can anyone here just start their gq by turning the key and it just starts? No throttle required?

I've measured the fuel pressure and it's at 26psi, which seems very low. So I've got a new fuel pump on its way. I plan to pull the injectors out and give them a clean and fit new orings. Does the top half of the plenum need to come off to remove the injectors and are the orings readily available for the injectors?
And lastly, I've looked at prices for patrol injectors and they aren't cheap. Is there an alternative that is a direct fit?
Thanks all for reading.

Cheers

Andy

Bloodyaussie
13th February 2013, 06:25 PM
I have had a miss sorted but that was due to valve clearances and the injectors needed for me to run one of those fuel additives....

As for Injectors

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18227-Does-NP.com.au-need-this

Clunk
13th February 2013, 09:11 PM
Hate to say it but no issues with mine starting, no peddle necessary. Still got to adjust me tappets though coz they're not exactly quiet. Will get round to it one day ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Parksy
13th February 2013, 09:23 PM
Well worth doing the tappets. The quietness is amazing, assuming you have a good running gear.
When I gave the throttle body a clean with carby cleaner, I was spraying the stuff down into the intake, quite liberally. The thing started right away when I turned the key. No need for throttle. So I'm thinking fuel delivery. I will get to the bottom of it.

Irvs
13th February 2013, 10:00 PM
Does the problem only happen when the engines cold? With my carby Mav I need to pull the throttle lock out to about 900rpm until the engine warms up due to my carby needing a bit of a reco I think. Is there some sort of compensation in the fuel delivery/choke on the EFI models? Is it working correctly? That's what I would be looking for.

Alitis007
13th February 2013, 10:37 PM
If its EFI i think you should have around 40psi but i'll tell you for sure tomorrow, the cold start fuel compensation is done partly from the Coolant temp sensor so check the resistance. If its not good you and it has a square bosh plug buy 1 from holden to suit a vs v6 ecotec but you may need to grind off the tab coz it might be a little out but thats no big deal. I can get injectors for you but i need a pic of them and the part number on the side, what where you quoted for them ?? If you dont mind me asking , about $110 each??

Parksy
14th February 2013, 06:57 AM
I have put a new temp sensor in so hoping its not that. The miss is consistent either hot or cold. I'm still waiting for the fuel pump but as soon as I get it ill let you know what pressure it gets to and if it solves any of the issues. Not sure what the cold start mechanism is on the efi models.
Was quoted over 300 each from autobarn and looking at eBay for genuine items, they are about 200 each. Still expensive when injectors for the 3.8 Holden motor are 33 each.

Cheers

Alitis007
14th February 2013, 07:23 AM
3.8 injectors are different but i'll find a air bypass valve that on the rb30 raises the idle at cold and i'll show you how to adjust it after i get to work.

Take a pic of the injectors 1 overall and 1 showing the part number and tell me the brand like Denso or Bosh.

Alitis007
14th February 2013, 08:31 AM
Ok now your fuel pressure @ 12 volts should be 299kpa or 42psi.
Sort out your fuel pressure and if it still hard to start look for this http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/76.jpg you loosen the 7mm screw and with the top hose off you push the screw across and look inside to see if the valve is open.

Parksy
14th February 2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks very much for that info. Much appreciated. Is that the air regulator that sits underneath the intake plenum? It looks very hard to get to, but it's probably the only part that I haven't removed/cleaned/checked to make sure it's operating correctly. Should the valve be open?

Alitis007
14th February 2013, 12:24 PM
Yeh but it only opens a fraction and from factory the nut its sealed shut with lock tight pored over it.

But leave it for now get you fuel pressure right then go from there so at least you know that part is right. Oh and one more thing, the fuel pressure regulator is that working? Take the vacuum off and see if you fuel pressure rises also crimp the return line to build up more pressure and see if the idle changes

koliilok
14th February 2013, 01:21 PM
I had a similar problem, turned out to be the radiator, runs very cool now.

Alitis007
14th February 2013, 03:01 PM
Low fuel pressure has nothing to do with the car over heating and evaporating the fuel mate

Parksy
14th February 2013, 04:39 PM
Funny you mentioned that koliilok. My patrol didn't have a thermostat and ran very cool. So I put in a thermostat and new radiator because I'm guessing it once ran hot. I also reset the ecu so it could relearn everything at the proper temp and it did make a big difference with starting once it relearned all its parameters and what not.

Thanks alitis for the advice. I'll get the pump in and let you know how it all goes.

Cheers.

koliilok
15th February 2013, 01:50 PM
Did you use an aftermarket thermostat? I've heard that the aftermarket one's aren't great, i've also heard of people having no problem with them too. I bought a genuine one from patrolapart just for piece of mind really, it was also cheaper than an aftermarket job.

Parksy
15th February 2013, 02:33 PM
Went the genuine unit too. Just for peace of mind.

Parksy
18th February 2013, 05:52 PM
Have an update. Got my new fuel pump and installed it straight away. Found that the positive wire was only just hanging on by a few strands so worth checking next time anyone pulls out their pump/sender unit. Repaired this and tested the fuel rail pressure. Gauge jumped up to 40psi instantly, where as before it would slowly creep up to 26. I disconnected the battery to reset the ecu so it could re adapt to the new fuel pressure. When I went to start the car, i didn't need to use the throttle, though it was a little rough and idled a little rough. Though this could be due to me resetting the ecu, I'm not to sure. Went for a 5 min drive and on returning the car idled so much more smoother. No more hunting or struggling to run. Idle speed has increased by about 100 rpm.
Also the constant miss I hear at idle is now random as opposed to being consistent, so my thought on this is a dirty fuel injector that has benefitted from the increased fuel pressure. A proper clean of the injectors will hopefully solve the miss.
Things are looking positive for my patrol:).
Will report back on how it starts tomorrow morning.

Btw, I've installed a Racing fuel pump. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Also, are the injector orings readily available?

Cheers

Alitis007
18th February 2013, 09:15 PM
What brand fuel pump?? Some don't have a anti drain back valve to hold residual line pressure when its off so you have to let them prime up before starting, mainly in the high flowing style like a Walbro thats rated for 600hp.

Injector "O" rings are easy as to get mate, most leading spare parts shops have them.

Parksy
19th February 2013, 04:34 AM
Cheers alitis. I believe the brand of pump is "racing"?

Parksy
19th February 2013, 05:58 AM
Car started straight away this morning. No throttle required. Very happy with the outcome.:)

Alitis007
19th February 2013, 11:26 AM
No dramas Parksy glad your problems solved!

BTW never heard of "racing" branded pumps but never mind, now you deserve to take it for play!!

Parksy
19th February 2013, 04:59 PM
Sorry it's actually called racer. It says Australian company on the side and meets a couple of iso standards so shouldn't be too bad I suppose.