PDA

View Full Version : How far back can you remember?

DX grunt
2nd December 2010, 02:41 AM
I thought I'd start a 'nostalgia' thread.

Don't be afraid you young blokes and girls to have your say, either. What you remember, some of us oldies have probably never heard of. lol

I remember when a box of matches was 2 cents and a gallon (8 pints) of milk was 50 cents - straight from the vat.

I also brought a brand new Toyota Corolla in 1977 for $3,500.

Over to you. :bigthumbup:

Mrowka
2nd December 2010, 03:15 AM
The earliest thing I can remember is seeing a very blurry image of my parents, in a room lined with tile like a surgery. I think I was crying, but the memory is so hazy it may even be a dream.

Bob
2nd December 2010, 06:48 AM
I can remember when a 7oz glass of Beer was 11 pennies (5 cents) and a packet of Black & White Cigarettes was 1 shilling & one pence (11 cents)
When Electricity was turned on at a Central Victorian community. Before that we had Kerosene Lamps. Now that is old.
I think that the above information is correct but the old memory sometimes does not work that well

mudtrolluk
2nd December 2010, 07:08 AM
The first thing I remember is my great grandmother giving me a wash in her kitchen sink, singing;
“One two,
Three four five,
Once I court a fish alive,
Six seven,
Eight nine ten,
Then I let it go again,
Why did you let it go?
Because it bit my finger so"
But like Mrowka said very hazy and I was very young. Come to think of it, all a bit hazy now, :1062: but not so young.

Bigrig
2nd December 2010, 07:25 AM
I remember what the best thing was before sliced bread!!!!! lololol ... you know, the saying "the best thing since sliced bread" ..... so I said that I ..... and then ..... never mind .....

ummmmm ... I remember when Dad would give me a fiver and I could get two packet of smokes from the shop up in Selheim Street ... and subsequently, I remember when 6 year old kids were allowed to buy smokes from corner stores!!!!!! lmfao

AB
2nd December 2010, 07:58 AM
I remember getting wacked by my parents with those massive old cane rug beaters you use to beat the hell out of rugs for dust, etc...haha

I remember a bus ticket was 25c

I remember drinking sarsaparilla at the local pub and a local drunk asked me who I was voting for if I could vote....Bob Hawke or Peacock....I said Peacock and he laughed at me....Not sure why that sunk in my head...lol

I remember buying a pack of ciggys and a large Ice Coffee Big M for $5.

I remember our local Milk Bar owner selling ciggys for 20c each and a bag of fireworks for $10 until he got caught.

DX grunt
2nd December 2010, 12:14 PM
I remember, as a kid, putting a ladder up against our house to help clean the windows and to get the ladder down, I dragged it out and smashed the window I had just cleaned!

Cornetto and drum stick icecreams were 20 cents each.

My first job, I earned 50 cents and hour! My biggest pay was $15 for a week.

I was 7 years old when decimal currency changed from pounds and pence to dollars and cents. Oops. Enough said!

AB
2nd December 2010, 02:28 PM
I remember Big M Eggflip!! Does anybody remember that one?

I saw some ads up recently saying it was back but I can't find any.........................:( :( :(

I remember it but can't say I tried that one plassy.

I remember being allowed to stay up past 8:30pm on Tuesday nights when the old man let us watch Beyond 2000.

I remember dad cursing the TV becuase of the all the "American Crap" on there and were forced to watch channel two and SBS with edge of the seat exciting shows like: 7:30 report, The Bill, SBS world news!!! Exciting times to be had by all kids!!!

AB
2nd December 2010, 03:10 PM
Hahaha crack up!! But I bet you still watched it because boring TV was better than no TV! Am I right?

And I used to love Beyond 2000 too. I thought how space age everything was going to be that far in the future!

Of course, it was way better then throwing stones into a cup plassy...haha

Beyond 2000....According to that show we should be flying around like the Jetsons by now....lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/12/1.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
2nd December 2010, 03:50 PM
I remember when..................nah forgot it already.............what was i doing.........thats right................fridge..........bourbon...... .....drink...............now what was i doing again?????????????

wildgu6
2nd December 2010, 06:11 PM
I remember electricity supplied by PMG.

I remember egg flip Plas, Yuk

I remember setting a fire under my parents bed on their bran new carpet with a packet of redhead matches, not a box the whole packet, built a little bonfire & get this my dad was a fireman in the CFA.

I remember when you didnt have to lock your doors when you went out and on hot nights.

I remember black & white TV and man walking on the moon

I remember bon fire night out the back block (guy forks) they were good times

I even remember 8 track players & push button automatics

All those who remember these things, Are we giving away tooooooooo much about our age ?????????

Cheers Pete,

AB
2nd December 2010, 07:41 PM
I also remember when my home town Warrandyte was a rough bush town and only good people built their own homes there. I remember living in a caravan with a corrugated shed add on and my brother and parents having big parties on the road as we lived at the end of a dirt road court. There would be a fire in the middle of the court and old couches and tables around the court.

Neighbours used to drive around the mess and then come up for a cold one. Now, the old road is tar, the good people have been taken over by yuppie city poshy folks and I would even get frowned upon if i sat at the top of the driveway holding a beer these days...lol

Damn yuppies...lol...Bring back the care free days!!!

Finly Owner
2nd December 2010, 10:54 PM
Well I remeber Beenleigh was a small country town. It had cane train operating. The Savages still owned Savages arcade. The rialway station was on George St. Holden dealership was on George St. Heilbronns was where you bought school uniforms and Mums Bras. Uptons Army Disposals sold guns and knives to kids. Crazy Cobbs was owned by Mr & Mrs Cobbs who lived next door to their shop. The post office was on James St, next to the library, with the Memorial Hall on the other side. I remeber being a scout in the old scout den in Kent St, before being one of the kids helping build the new den in Tallagandrs Dr.I remeber camping at "Yellow wood" in Stapylton and having days with scouts and guides having activity days there too. I remember the cop shop was a demountable building in Kent St. I remember diesel locomotives pulling wooden carriges taking us to high school at Loganlea, and using a turntable to change ends to go back up the line again. I remember going to Beenleigh Rail stations 100yr ball. I remember being Guard of Honour for Sir James Ramsay. I remember riding my push bike through bush up where Beenliegh forest is an old housing estate now. I remember going out with a neighbour, who used to work for Bullens Lion Safari at Yatala, and him shooting badly injure stock and hauling back to the yard for miles with blood running out of the carcass while laying on the back of a bedford truck. And that reminds me of Clark Transport that used to haul out of Teys Bros meatworks leaving a trail of blood up to town. I remember the fountain, the clock, the hotel on cnr of City Rd and George St, Cane black snow, Beanies Night Club, Rum distillery tours. We used to go around building sites collecting refundable drink bottles and later ally cans, 60 cans to a kilo, 60cents per kilo. I used to tie three hession sacks to Dads wheelbarrow and take to the old PCYC building at the end of coles carpark.

I think that's a good start.
Tim

AB
3rd December 2010, 08:12 AM
I remember a state park only 500m from our place. We used to call it the Chase!

My brother used to take me down there on our Bmx's and z50's and we used to get chased by the older kids on their 125's and 250's. It was a huge rush as they used to try and catch us to beat us up and for some reason we always kept coming back for more punishment.

I remember dropping the bike in the bushes with my brother and laying dead still as the teenage kids would ride by trying to find us....Pretty scary when your 7 years old...lol

Now the entire area has been cleared for development but there was an outrage because they found Eagles nests in the area. They only left one tree standing where they found the nest...Whahooo!!!

They named the development "The Chase" as thats what the kids at the time used to call it to try and smooth things over after clearing 50 acres of beautiful bushland.

DX grunt
3rd December 2010, 10:06 AM
I got 3 stableford points for my first game of golf, and still remember that par 3!

Bigrig
3rd December 2010, 05:21 PM
I remember when mum and dad bought their first VCR - took two of us to carry it in, had to buy a specially built reinforced cabinet to hold it, and you loaded those tape thingy's (anyone remember what they were called? lol) into the top of it ... good times, good times ...

And I also remember catching the 56 bus from Grange to Stafford and we used green 5 cent tickets that were pre-bought in a pack of ten ...

I'm not that old, so I'm sure you're all sitting out there saying "what is this kid on about? I remember when 5 cents actually BOUGHT the whole bus!!!" lololol

Pete's GU3
3rd December 2010, 08:14 PM
I remember when my old man bought 1 of the first colour tellys back in 74 and he also bought a movie camera, must of got sucked in a bueaty by the salesman . also remember big egg flip m , wasn't too bad. also remember as a kid we lived near the M C G and i would squeeze through one of the bent turnstiles and get in for nix, now i would be lucky to fit through the turnstile walking.lol
Also remember the old man sending me to the local milk bar and buying him a pack of Marlboro for 70c..selling the SUN paper outside the corner hotel for 5c to all the drunks .................

.yep they were the days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finly Owner
4th December 2010, 09:52 PM
I remember in primary school, getting a Big M shirt( i was living in Qld) from my Aunty when she came to stay(from Vic obviously) and wearing it to school. All the kids said whats Big M. In just the last week we have had TV ads running introducing the new sensation" Big M milk drinks ".
And I said to my missus, they've been around for years, who has bought into them for them to be available up here now?

Tim

DX grunt
4th December 2010, 09:57 PM
I remember the first, and only fish hook, I got stuck in my finger. Had to have it surgically removed!

Woof
4th December 2010, 09:57 PM
Seeing TV for the 1st time, the show that was on was "Riverboat".
Starring:
Darren McGavin
Burt Reynolds
Noah Beery, Jr.
Ran from 1959 to 1961

Finly Owner
4th December 2010, 10:04 PM
I remember being picked up on school holidays by Dad, and going with Him & 2 uncles on their council rubbish truck, and spending time with them while they run back and forth emptying peoples bins, carry them on their shoulders.(before wheelie bins)

Tim

Bigrig
4th December 2010, 10:17 PM
I remember going to Sawtell with mum and dad as kids and staying in the caravan park - a bloke named Vic (as I recall) used to pick me and my brothers up in the morning, and take us around the banana plantations to pick up kids who were still at school (NSW and QLD had, and still have, different school holiday periods). I also remember dad and my brothers trying to 'outcast' one another for distance whilst fishing the river out the back of the caravan park (I must of been all of 4 or 5 the last time we went there).

Finly Owner
4th December 2010, 10:34 PM
I remember camping at Williamstown Beach. Mum was being taught to drive Dads HD holden and bogged in the sand.(never drove again) And sister caught a crayfish on line.

peterfranks72
11th December 2010, 10:07 PM
I can remember when fuel was 11cents a litre.

wildgu6
12th December 2010, 12:25 PM
I can remember when fuel was 11cents a litre.

And the servo's use to serve you, check oil, water, brake fluid, auto trans, tyres and even clean your windscreen.

Finly Owner
12th December 2010, 10:16 PM
I can remember BMX bikes were expensive new things, that made a dragstar that look antique.

Tim

wildgu6
13th December 2010, 07:57 PM
I rememder kids use to go outside to play, they even made up games to play, they got sunshine and even got wet and dirty.:Yahoo!:

Now days, if it doesnt have a controller they are lost. :1087:

AB
13th December 2010, 08:17 PM
I remember in grade 5, my first kiss and 30 people met behind the portables to see the show....Everyone yelled "kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss" and then Johno pushed me into the girl as I was leaning in for a peck and we ended up head butting and she started crying...lol

Great times...lol

DX grunt
13th December 2010, 08:23 PM
I used to play spin the bottle at school.

Woof
13th December 2010, 08:28 PM
I used to play spin the bottle at school.

Hope it wasn't a all boys school Ross:icon_victory:

AB
13th December 2010, 08:31 PM
And you're still that smooth too mate!

As I said "Good times"....After that it went down hill Plassy...lol