PDA

View Full Version : Taffy in a Patrol

Taffy241
12th February 2013, 05:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm Taffy. I'm a POM who has been in Australia for about 4 years and now live in Melbourne.

I brought a patrol a few months ago for a knockdown price 1989 TD42. Very happy with it and it was cheap because the engine was blown. Anyhow, got that reconditioned and up and running. Took it to Tassie and did a couple of tracks, lots of fun.

(How good is this website by the way?)

So far so good. Now I have an issue. The Patrol did not come with a RWC. Now not being from these parts and not being particulary clever I did not know what one was until I brought the vehicle (nor did I know about lift and suspension etc etc). The mechanic I know locally has advised me that he will pass the RWC if I can get an Engineers certificate on the suspension (Ironman) and the bodylift. He did advise me to go to the VACC, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to point to an Engineer that can give me a certificate for the RWC.

Very good to meet you all.

Taffy :driving2:

wildgu6
12th February 2013, 05:38 PM
G'day buddy, Welcome aboard.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people

Enjoy, cheers Pete

TAPPN OUT

Bloodyaussie
12th February 2013, 05:40 PM
Welcome aboard mate...............

NissanGQ4.2
12th February 2013, 05:58 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Taffy

Great bunch of members on here always willing to help out where they can.

Try Here for a certifier ( it is no longer done by engineer's ): http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_bulletin_01.pdf

Vic is at the bottom of the PDF

Vic Roads website might have a better listing on there site but I was not able to find one: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au

Cheers

Todd

Edit: Can be found here: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/SaferVehicles/LicensedVehicleTesters/VehicleAssessmentSignatoryScheme.htm

Or download PDF file here: [DOC, 1.04MB] (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/1974EC63-27E6-405B-AEF7-54D61674DB05/0/VASS_List_for_Publication_21_September_2012.doc)

Maxhead
12th February 2013, 06:02 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

growler2058
12th February 2013, 06:23 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

koliilok
12th February 2013, 07:43 PM
Welcome! I'm new too, have had some experience with 4x4's in the past but limited really.
Would it perhaps be easier to put standard springs/shocks and remove the body lift for the roadworthy?
My understanding is that as soon as engineers are involved it becomes messy, hope i'm wrong though

Corey

mudski
12th February 2013, 08:41 PM
I could be wrong but I sold my old MK that had a 2inch body lift and 2inch spring lift under it WITH a roady and NO engineers were required. But the laws may have changed, no Todd I ain't ready the links, anyhow if it all turns sour, remove it all, get your roady and chuck it back in. Should be in and out in about 40 stubbies I reckon. :)

O.h! Welcome.

NissanGQ4.2
12th February 2013, 08:44 PM
Would it perhaps be easier to put standard springs/shocks and remove the body lift for the roadworthy?
My understanding is that as soon as engineers are involved it becomes messy, hope i'm wrong though

Corey

Messy not really if you play by the rules and regs, costly is more like it.

The real miss is when you remove your lift for a roadworthy, put the lift back then have an accident. Regardless of who is at fault in an accident, they see your raised vehicle and check to see if its legally roadworthy......mmmmm

It would be in your best interest to either get it done legally or remove it all together.

mudski
12th February 2013, 09:31 PM

The real miss is when you remove your lift for a roadworthy, put the lift back then have an accident. Regardless of who is at fault in an accident, they see your raised vehicle and check to see if its legally roadworthy......mmmmm

It would be in your best interest to either get it done legally or remove it all together.
So what you have just said there mate is that my Patrol and thousands of other Patrols are unroadworthy as they had a roady done with stock suspension and they then fitted lifted suspension in there rigs. My insurance company didn't care. All they wanted to know is what brand it was.

Clunk
12th February 2013, 09:48 PM
So what you have just said there mate is that my Patrol and thousands of other Patrols are unroadworthy as they had a roady done with stock suspension and they then fitted lifted suspension in there rigs. My insurance company didn't care. All they wanted to know is what brand it was.

Correct..... you'll need to check you states road regs but you may find that your only legally allowed to have a 2 in lift and maybe a 1in increase to the over all diameter of your Tyre but things are either changing or have changed. There's been plenty of threads put on the forum about this already.......

Your insurance company won't care, they're getting their money each month, or each year and if you have an accident, they will search for any excuse not to pay out not matter who's at fault.

Play it safe, stick with a 2in lift unless you're willing to get it certified by said engineers.......... my opinion only.

Is there such a thing as RTI..... Repetitive Tapping Injury?????

Clunk
12th February 2013, 09:51 PM
Welcome aboard Taffy........... and with a name like that I can only presume you're a Welshman?????? I myself spent many many years in Swansea

Is there such a thing as RTI..... Repetitive Tapping Injury?????

koliilok
12th February 2013, 10:30 PM

That's a fair point, best to speak to your insurance company first i guess. I've always just told them about the modifications and they've charged me more accordingly. Somehow they think making a car handle better means i'm more likely to crash, go figure

my third 256
13th February 2013, 04:08 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

threedogs
13th February 2013, 07:47 AM
hi and welcome Taffy, plenty of tips and info here for you.
Jump in anytime and enjoy

AB
13th February 2013, 08:18 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

healy
13th February 2013, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

79raven
13th February 2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks blokes. Great to be a part. Ive wanted a shorty for so bloody long and miss the bush so cant wait to pick her up. First thing will be sorting out some gremlins that you always find in a second hand car, but for $950 with 5 months rego like said I cant go wrong really.
Sorry for the sales pitch on the d21, need it gone to make some space and cash so did the unthinkable by dropping a pitch in lol. Once I get the Shorty home Ill drop you guys a post on the situation and might see you all on the beaten track one day.
Thanks a bunch for the nice welcome
Raven

zaid-m
14th February 2013, 12:10 AM
Hello Taffy, welcome to one most friendly forums I've ever joined, this lot are a great bunch, and will help you with any questions that you have. This really is an international forum, although it does have a major Australian presence :)

Morton
18th February 2013, 07:46 PM
welcome mate, enjoy the site, cya on the tracks sometime

MEGOMONSTER
18th February 2013, 08:07 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.