PDA

View Full Version : Mav struggling on hills

Brendan56
9th February 2013, 07:59 PM
Hey all, long time no talk!
I'm having a dilemma at the moment, I've got a 93 4.2 manual diesel mav with pretty much nothing done to it as of yet. To get the old girl up hills I have to keep the revs up insanely high, I'm going to be in the position to finally start upgrading soon, and I'm hoping to get a set of 33s under her in the near future. But the problem is I'm just about to move up to the tablelands up in qld which is stupidly hilly. Any advice for some performance mods to tune her up with first before I start with clearance stuff?
Tappin trolls
Brendan

Clunk
9th February 2013, 09:00 PM
Turbo it

Is there such a thing as RTI..... Repetitive Tapping Injury?????

AB
9th February 2013, 09:00 PM
That's not right mate, start with the basics....fuel and air.

Put new air filter in, make sure it's all breathing right, change fuel filter, how's the pump?

AB
9th February 2013, 09:01 PM
And yeah, turbo it....lol....best decision you'll ever make!

Brendan56
9th February 2013, 09:14 PM
Yeah thought that might be the answer :-P about to get a tinny so ill have to have a bit of right boot to get it around. Yeah I always keep the basics up, but I'm on academy wages until the 28th so troll is about to be pampered!

Tappin trolls
Brendan

Clunk
9th February 2013, 09:31 PM
Can diesels be supercharged? Power on tap all of the time :D:D:D

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

growler2058
9th February 2013, 10:01 PM

Hell yeah boss years ago had a truck super charged two stroke big block v8 diesel sounded frokn awesome

Sent from the crapper while on tappa

Clunk
9th February 2013, 10:07 PM
Reckon that would be the way to go.... No lag just powr from the get go

Dales300exc
9th February 2013, 10:36 PM
The tried and true way is a turbo.

If supercharging worked well it would be everywhere like the turbo.

You don't see 600-750hp trucks running superchargers. And the ol 2 stroke diesels used the roots blower, to scavenge and provide better cylinder filling. Yeh it was a supercharger, but without it the 2 strokes wouldn't have worked. It only provided slightly above atmospheric pressure. A turbo was often before the blower where decent boost levels were required.

Go the turbo route! You won't be disappointed, and with so many options you can do it for not that much at all!

happygu
9th February 2013, 10:44 PM
Hi Brendan,

Do you mean that you need to drop back gears and rev the crap out of it, or do you need to hit the bottom of a steep hill with a bit of momentum.

If it is the later then that can be quite normal for a N/A diesel....

93patrol
9th February 2013, 11:06 PM
Yep mines el naturale and is a slug heading up hill. Just be patient and let everyone pass but if I could afford it I would turbo the sh!t out of it

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Diesel-Mate
10th February 2013, 08:36 AM
Then turbo it ;)

krbrooking
10th February 2013, 08:44 AM
Turbo with exhaust to get rid of the heat better, will deal like a rally car with more body roll once you done that.

taslucas
10th February 2013, 09:54 AM

The tried and true way is a turbo.

If supercharging worked well it would be everywhere like the turbo.

You don't see 600-750hp trucks running superchargers. And the ol 2 stroke diesels used the roots blower, to scavenge and provide better cylinder filling. Yeh it was a supercharger, but without it the 2 strokes wouldn't have worked. It only provided slightly above atmospheric pressure. A turbo was often before the blower where decent boost levels were required.

Go the turbo route! You won't be disappointed, and with so many options you can do it for not that much at all!

Heres a member doing a supercharged TD42: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?16395-Supercharging

Cant wait to see it running makeitfit:)

Brendan56
10th February 2013, 11:50 AM
So turbo and exhaust it is, 2 things. How much would it cost to get it done by a mechanic? And should I get it before my lift and tires :-P

Tappin trolls
Brendan

93patrol
10th February 2013, 01:07 PM
I was quoted between 5 g and 8 g depending if I wanted safari systems or denco and dts turbos. That's down south WA though.

It does matter if you do it before or after lift and tyres as it won't affect either

Brendan56
10th February 2013, 02:54 PM
Holy Crap haha. That's a fair bit of coin.

Tappin trolls
Brendan

93patrol
10th February 2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah but as I said that's from a local bunbury shop that is the only turbo and diesel shop in town I could probably get it cheaper if I went to Perth.

Shop around I reckon it would be cheaper eastern states

taslucas
10th February 2013, 03:48 PM
Holy Crap haha. That's a fair bit of coin.

Tappin trolls
Brendan

I'm pretty sure other guys have got away with for a lot less than that

FanTapstic!

Dales300exc
10th February 2013, 05:19 PM
Heres a member doing a supercharged TD42: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?16395-Supercharging

Cant wait to see it running makeitfit:)

Wasn't saying it couldn't be done! :) just saying it costs more, and 9 times outa 10 you don't gain anything over a cheaper turbo set up.

Dam355
10th February 2013, 06:46 PM
Here is a full kit In Bunbury - factory 4.2 turbo kit - just need the manifold. Probably pick this kit up for under a grand.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bunbury-6230/engine-engine-parts-transmission/nissan-gu-gq-patrol-maverick-ht18-turbo-for-td42/1013439224

Brendan56
11th February 2013, 06:12 PM
Think i'm going to get lift and tires first anyways haha, need that 4wd capability! 2" tjm lift and some maxxis bighorns :)

AB
11th February 2013, 07:15 PM
Do the turbo yourself mate, have a look at the DIY post here and then get it properly tuned up afterwards. Not a hard job at all mate, easily done!

nissannewby
11th February 2013, 08:56 PM
I havent seen it mentioned here but check the gauze filter on the inlet to your injector pump. It doesnt take much at all to restrict flow a small bit of wire is ideal to remove the spring and filter give it a good blow out with compressed air and go from there.

Brendan56
12th February 2013, 06:39 AM
Do the turbo yourself mate, have a look at the DIY post here and then get it properly tuned up afterwards. Not a hard job at all mate, easily done!

Yeah it's more of a time factor at the moment, about to start a super busy new job, hardly have time to blink.

Tappin trolls
Brendan

taslucas
12th February 2013, 06:53 AM
I don't know much about diesels but id start with the simple things such as nissannewby has mentioned above. Get it all tuned perfect and go from there.
Do you have a mate with TD42 patrol that you could test drive? Maybe then you could gauge if yours really is sluggish or not?

FanTapstic!

Brendan56
12th February 2013, 08:00 AM
Nah everyone else drives cruisers or commys :-P ill give it another once over when I get a chance.

Tappin trolls
Brendan

taslucas
12th February 2013, 08:51 AM
Oh well, if the cruisers are beating you to the tracks then they'll just gave to wait longer for a tow out:-)

FanTapstic!

Diesel-Mate
12th February 2013, 08:59 AM
It's cost me $1000 to build a turbo kit (installed myself) then it cost another $700 for full 3" turbo back straight exhaust done by a professional. This is all brand new parts btw. Running 15 pound boost, I now over take petrols going up hills. ;)

makeitfit
12th February 2013, 09:05 AM
Oh well, if the cruisers are beating you to the tracks then they'll just gave to wait longer for a tow out:-)

FanTapstic!
Classic :clapping:

Could you also be suffering a little from gearing issues? 33s are a bit bigger than stock aren't they ?
Mine feels like it has a gear missing on 35s

Brendan56
12th February 2013, 09:29 AM
Not running the 33s yet, that's next on the list! Hopefully a week or 2,I'd rather 4wd capability at the moment over speed. Haha
Then I can just fit the turbo myself when I have more time on my hands.
Tappin trolls
Brendan

makeitfit
12th February 2013, 09:34 AM
oops, must have miss read that from all the way over here lol
In that case certainly checkout the basics first, or you'll still have the underlying problem but with a shiny turbo on top ?
Good luck ;)