PDA

View Full Version : Fluffy start when starting cold. GU8 ST.

WogsRus
9th February 2013, 12:06 PM
Hi Guys i have a 2012 GU8 ST which is about to tick over for a 20K service.
The last two weeks the car seams to be sluggish staring cold. Basically i wait till teh glow plugs go out on the dash then crack over and it use to start after about 3 cranks.

NOW, it seams it takes about 6-9 cranks to start when cold in the morning and the starts seams a bit fluffy.

Now the car is due for a service but i just wanted to know if anyone has fond something similar. I have put some diesel power fuel system cleaner in the tank but not made any difference yet.

Car is stock with exhaust and snorkle.

Once hot, the car starts very easily and quick.

I have no idea how to check glow plugs and stuff like that???

HELP?

Ben-e-boy
9th February 2013, 12:35 PM
Hi Guys i have a 2012 GU8 ST which is about to tick over for a 20K service.
The last two weeks the car seams to be sluggish staring cold. Basically i wait till teh glow plugs go out on the dash then crack over and it use to start after about 3 cranks.

NOW, it seams it takes about 6-9 cranks to start when cold in the morning and the starts seams a bit fluffy.

Now the car is due for a service but i just wanted to know if anyone has fond something similar. I have put some diesel power fuel system cleaner in the tank but not made any difference yet.

Car is stock with exhaust and snorkle.

Once hot, the car starts very easily and quick.

I have no idea how to check glow plugs and stuff like that???

HELP?

Do the service. oils, filters, check fuel lines, intake piping, vacuum hoses. A little bit of preventitive maintenance goes a long way.

WogsRus
9th February 2013, 12:40 PM
Well shes all under warranty so i will have them check it all. I will check intake hoses ect.

Ta

Cuppa
9th February 2013, 12:42 PM
May just be coincidence but my car was the same - a new starter battery fixed the problem.

WogsRus
9th February 2013, 12:49 PM
Humm, will check that, put a charger on it over night, if it works first time in the AM then MR Nissan ows me a new one

Cuppa
9th February 2013, 12:58 PM
Humm, will check that, put a charger on it over night, if it works first time in the AM then MR Nissan ows me a new one

Fairs do's. If charging overnight fixes the problem, the problem is likely fixed. Not Mr Nissan's responsibility to keep the battery charged. On the other hand if the battery is stuffed & won't charge or hold a charge, within it's warranty period that is a different issue. Do you do a lot of short drives & have the car sitting around a fair bit?

happygu
9th February 2013, 01:35 PM
I think you will find that the battery, just like tyres, clutches and windsreen wipers, is classed as a consumable item and will not be covered under the 3 year warranty....

There have been a couple of reports where people have mentioned the same thing, and every now and again mine takes an extra crank or two to start.

It could be as simple as the fuel filter starting to block up a little - Nissan doesn't change the filter till 40K though as I just had my 30K done and asked about it - so if Nissan think it is good for 40K, this could be less likely.

Hope for you that the battery is good, as I think the standard Nissan battery is much better than the replacements you can buy from the battery wholesalers.

Mic

WogsRus
9th February 2013, 02:04 PM
shes only 8 months old, warranty on battery is 12 months. All up i do a 30 minute drive each way to work each day coupled with weekend driving and highway run for 4 hours to see the olds.

I

Cuppa
9th February 2013, 02:27 PM
shes only 8 months old, warranty on battery is 12 months. All up i do a 30 minute drive each way to work each day coupled with weekend driving and highway run for 4 hours to see the olds.

I

Should be good then. IF the problem is battery related it will be interesting to see what Nissan's response is. At 8 months old just take the car in & say "Please fix it so it behaves like it did when I bought it" & hope that the issue isn't something you'll get charged for. Doesn't sound like it's anything that's a big deal.

WogsRus
10th February 2013, 07:08 PM
Ok well might be battery, tested it this morning, down to 12.2V overnight. I put the charger on for an hour, and hay presto, first kick first start.

We will see tomorrow. Got battery out on the Cteck for reconditioning and see how it goes.

schanmala
11th February 2013, 06:47 PM
yep, i think the battery should equalise at 12.7v

Steve4wdin
11th February 2013, 06:52 PM
On cold mornings, I hit the glow plugs twice. It starts a lot easier. When its hot once is all thats needed.

WogsRus
12th February 2013, 06:44 AM
12.54V this morning, mainly because i drove the car last night i think. I am going to see what the car power drain is, disconnect everything that is not stock and see what happens.