PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler fan

threedogs
9th February 2013, 09:25 AM
Hi again, starting to figure out how these wiz bang modern T/D's work.
Want to fit a 9" fan on top of intercooler, am I right in thinking this may reduce my EGTs a little.
Also where would the thermo probe be located?
And more importantly is it worthwhile? Pro's and Con's
Even read somewhere a 7" fan fits underneath the IC

Winnie
9th February 2013, 09:26 AM
Wouldn't underneath the fan be better to suck air through? When I do an IC setup I will have a fan under it.

threedogs
9th February 2013, 09:30 AM
Only read it so far, haven't heard from anyone who has it. plenty of room on top using slinline 9".
Wire fan to push air as opposed to underneath and on pull. Underneath I think a 7" fan is required
4.2 T/D use a front mount IC dont they, well all the ones I've seen have?

Ben-e-boy
9th February 2013, 10:07 AM
Hi again, starting to figure out how these wiz bang modern T/D's work.
Want to fit a 9" fan on top of intercooler, am I right in thinking this may reduce my EGTs a little.
Also where would the thermo probe be located?
And more importantly is it worthwhile? Pro's and Con's
Even read somewhere a 7" fan fits underneath the IC

fans can become a restriction above about 30 km/h. If you spend more time at highway speeds I wouldn't bother with a fan.

Benny

Wouldn't underneath the fan be better to suck air through? When I do an IC setup I will have a fan under it.

If I were you I would go a water to air setup..... My2c

happygu
9th February 2013, 10:12 AM
Threedogs,

Plenty of good threads around for fans on intercoolers, with the consensus being they are better underneath......but maybe better still is to ditch the standard intercooler and get one of the flash PWR or similar aftermarket units with better quality cores.

These are stronger, less likely to leak, probably give you the same results as having a fan, but without any perceived / non perceived restrictions for highway running, no worries about the weight of the fan cracking the cooler itself...

Mic

june
9th February 2013, 11:28 AM
i had a 8 inch fan sitting on top of plastic engine cover and did not change any engine temps via pyro readings. i agree with happygtu dump the factory ic. my factory ic ended up leaking and i have just fitted a crosscountry ic with a 10 inch fan undernearth. the fan draws air into the cooler but is only beneficial at low speeds. eg. beach work. the new ic has a hi flow pwr core to reduce heat soak and gets more denser air to be crammed into the combustion chamber. since fitting new ic egt has fallen by around 80 degrees. this will differ to other vehicles and what mods they have. eg bigger exhaust, chip,

boots
9th February 2013, 10:06 PM
New big IC required for you TD . Already have the big bonnet scoop so a cross country or similar is the ideal thing I reckon .

june
10th February 2013, 10:11 AM
i agree boots. been there done that. i wasted money on a fan with no results. do your self a favor threedogs get a welded hi flow ic. they might cost extra but your engine will love it.

macca86
10th February 2013, 11:00 AM
I picked up a cc cooler for 800 bucks here bigger thicker and fan underneath reduced temps by 50* as Ben said fans do restrict air flow even more so on top. Underneath is the go to pill air through at speeds under 30km/hr great for beach work. If you pm your mob I can text you pic of size difference as I can't upload from my phone as im too stupid and lazy to do tappatalk
Also the td42 are top mount coolers front and water to air are after market

threedogs
10th February 2013, 11:07 AM
NEVER EVER going to by a CC intercooler they are nothing but thieves.
here endth that lesson

Morton
10th February 2013, 10:21 PM
so Td, did you come to a decision on the fan on top of the IC, I am to understand that it is a benefit when off road but restrictive on the highway, can anyone advise how it is restrictive & is it detrimental to the engine or just economy? I replaced my IC with a standard but welded version from Canberra for appx $420 exchange

boots
10th February 2013, 10:30 PM
Will find the invoice for my pwr performance IC John and let you know mate .

threedogs
11th February 2013, 10:45 AM
@ Morton From what I've read the answer is no,
@ Boots thanks mate, getting a blank hi flow core and going to Fab some end tanks to suit,
Question now is ,is the boost sensor neccessary now I've NADDED my ride.
If all goes well I'll be selling these and not for $1300, thats just robbery IMO

the evil twin
11th February 2013, 11:48 AM
I usually have a 9 inch puller under my factory I/C. ATM it is not fitted as Nissan just put a new factory cooler on my truck.

As posted by others I also noted that over about 40 ish KPH they make absolutely no noticeable difference. They are only really useful for low speed slogging but they certainly help then.

If you are going to effort of mounting a fan I thoroughly recommend the small extra effort to mount it underneath.

Mounting them on top they present a significant block to airflow at highway cruise as they sit up in the airflow coming in thru the scoop from the "side" of the fan so the blades and motor begin to block flow to the rear of the Intercooler. IE the airflow has to do a 90 degree turn on the top of the I/C but underneath the flow is much more laminar.

Think of it this way... the trailing blade is going with the airflow (so little drag produced which is OK) but on the other side the leading blade is travelling into the airflow (significant drag/obstruction to airflow) so that side plus the motor body become an obstruction

threedogs
11th February 2013, 01:44 PM
So a 9" low profile will fit, I have the large bonnet scoop, thats 2 boxes ticked
Do you set it to come on at speed/ temp what/how???? how is that part set up?? 9" fans cheap
so might as well try

@ Evil twin they say my bonnet scoops works at speeds down to 65 kph as opposed to 80 kph STD FYI

macca86
11th February 2013, 02:20 PM
My fan is hard wired atm so is on when I start but not on the first click of the key. I also have a switch I could install in the cab as an on off but too lazy to do so

the evil twin
11th February 2013, 02:29 PM
So a 9" low profile will fit, I have the large bonnet scoop, thats 2 boxes ticked
Do you set it to come on at speed/ temp what/how???? how is that part set up?? 9" fans cheap
so might as well try

@ Evil twin they say my bonnet scoops works at speeds down to 65 kph as opposed to 80 kph STD FYI

9 inch slim fan def fits on the CRD not 100% sure on the Di's

I just have a switch in the cabin for mine. If I hit the beach (the SW WA beaches are soft as....) or really soft tracks I turn it on and leave it on. Hit the formed tracks/gravel/bitumen et al then I turn it off.

If you did want to have it set up automatically then the ideal IMHO would be speed and charge air temp delta T across the 'cooler.
IE if below say 80 KPH or whatever and change in I/C inlet plenum air temp against outlet air plenum temp equals 'X" then it turns on.
In reality that is probably a tad to sophisticated (and expensive) to set up.
Soooo, for practicality I would lean towards a thermo switch for the outlet air plenum and a cabin override

Ben-e-boy
11th February 2013, 02:35 PM
Here you go TD some light reading for you

http://www.are.com.au/index.html

mudski
11th February 2013, 02:53 PM
Don't waste your time TD. I will do F.A anyhow. The time it take for you to do it, you will only discover it was a waste of time. Only at low speeds it will help a little. But for high country hill climbing I reckon you wont even need it as being in low range there plenty of torgue ready to be used anyhow. Would be different if you sand driving though...

Sir Roofy
11th February 2013, 08:26 PM
don't waste your time td. I will do f.a anyhow. The time it take for you to do it, you will only discover it was a waste of time. Only at low speeds it will help a little. But for high country hill climbing i reckon you wont even need it as being in low range there plenty of torgue ready to be used anyhow. Would be different if you sand driving though...

have to agree with mudski ive put an 8'' fan on ages ago and it does sfa,i dont even use it in the hills here
or high country just been to lazy to take it off

threedogs
11th February 2013, 08:49 PM
I hear you not a big fan of sand driving, reminds me of my youth growing up near the beach
DAMN SAND GOES EVERY WHERE. only 2 boxes ticked so no cigar bummer all you read, ppl
saying gotta do this gotta do that. I'll stick with my original plan can get an aftermarket fully tigged
IC for $450 change over. I have a core coming then I'll fab some tanks and weld. As my ride is NADDED
is the boost sensor doing anything ATM. Thanks all

Read that thanks Ben already have big scoop now if I fit Oe looking IC tigged I should be 85% efficient
that would translate how, Diesel usage, over all performance. I'm lost 85% of what?????
Starting to lose it. No intercooler for the Di is worth over $500 IMO

boots
11th February 2013, 09:19 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6702-MAF-sensor-cleaning-what-about-boost-sensor
Maybe unplug yours TD and test drive . Let us all know .

threedogs
11th February 2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks Boots, Thought as much, seeing all boost and vacuum are now Manual I cant see any reason for it.
I'll try after new IC arrives Pressure tested to 100psi overkill but its my baby

mudski
12th February 2013, 09:56 PM
NO IC is worth over $500 period TD. Like Diesel chips and many other 4wd bits. They are way overpriced and getting away with it.

threedogs
13th February 2013, 10:15 PM
Right, I can get PWR tigged IC for $600 plus freight, on change over basis sound ok.
Plus there is another for $560 but waiting on better price, Boots What was your price???

olmav
5th March 2013, 06:20 PM
yeah biger ic