PDA

View Full Version : diesel chips v exhaust

bobryaner
8th February 2013, 12:45 PM
hi all i got a 2012 y61 3. l turbo auto its a great car but its very slow off the mark and takes a while to get up to speed i love driving it but feel the power could be so much more it feels restricted i have read about a bigger bore exhaust and diesel chips both expensive to buy and fit and are they worth the money and do they deliver that the makers claim i understand the the partol is set to factory settings. the chip makers claim alsorts of power increases so do the exhaust makers is it best to fit one or the other or both

Maxhead
8th February 2013, 01:43 PM
Depends on the budget mate, if you can afford an exhaust and a chip then you will gain most benifits. I have gone with a Beaudesert 2.75 inch exhaust and love the extra torgue.
Chip and exhaust will complement each other.

There are lots of discussions on here regarding exhausts and chips. Lots of varied opinions as well so you'll have to decide which way is the best to suit your needs.

Lets see what we can find.....

Maxhead
8th February 2013, 01:49 PM
Heres some reading to start with. Make sure you get a boost and a EGT gauge so you can monitor whats going on when you do the mods...Even without mods these are a must IMO...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17912-Roo-systems-vs-steinbauer-taipan-or-beaudesert&p=325790
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15389-Which-exhaust..-Beaudesert-or-Redback
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?9092-Chip-or-Exhaust
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10428-3lt-crd-exhaust-and-ecu-mods

There are a few others but see what you can find in the above

bobryaner
8th February 2013, 01:51 PM
the budget is the biggest thing for most of us reckon i will go with the exhaust first mate have you fitting a chip also theres to many to choose from as little as a few hundred $ to $1300 where do you start so much to read about and they all claim big increase in performance

Lonicus
8th February 2013, 01:52 PM
Hiya mate.

I have the same 'Trol as you, bought last October, and have asked the same questions. Opinions vary, some have chip and exhaust combos, others like just the exhaust. Use the search function in the forum and you should find a lot of threads covering the topic.

Personally I went with just the exhaust, 2.75" Beaudesert, not because I don't like the idea of a chip but more because of funds and protection of the new car warranty. I've found that the improvement the exhaust gives is pretty spot on to what's advertised. The car runs more smoothly, the turbo spools up faster and breathes easier and there is a noticeable increase in performance. It's still not, and never will be, a "fast" car but it's a lot more pleasurable to drive now than it was before the exhaust.

Another thing to consider too are boost and pyro gauges, and/or a Scangauge and as was suggested to me here, fit the gauge/s before any mods so you know what you car is doing when running stock.

Cheers

Lonicus
8th February 2013, 01:55 PM
LOL can you tell I talked to Nisshead while I was working out what to do? :)

Maxhead
8th February 2013, 01:56 PM
Personally I haven't fitted a chip as I don't see the need but lots on here have and have been happy. Read the forum and not the manufactures claims as this will give you a real life results.
They are bloody expensive if you ask me so do your research and go from there.

Some that I read are pretty good are: Chip it and stainbeuger (spelling) DP has some good reports.

bobryaner
8th February 2013, 03:12 PM
hi the exhaust is the most proven we all know if ya fit a better exhaust on bikes and cars you usually get better performance i reckon i will get the exhaust first when maybe next year the chip if i feel the need the car is great just a bit flat at the take off as i have said that first time i drove it i was really surprised at how slow it was. got a price of beau desert in bris have to start saving

bobryaner
8th February 2013, 03:14 PM
does the warranty get mess up if i fit a diffrent exhaust

bobryaner
8th February 2013, 03:21 PM
need to know more about these gauges scan gauges whats the go with them

WogsRus
8th February 2013, 03:55 PM
having recently put a chip on my mated GU7 and an exhaust on mine, DO THE CHIP FIRST, particularly a good one like Stainbaurer.

kevin07
9th February 2013, 09:46 AM
i always felt my car couldnt breathe so i changed the exhaust and im very happy with the result i have a beadesert2.75 and i will recommend that to everyone its the best bang for your buck you will get also look at the ultraguage $105.00 delivered in 5 days pillar pod for your gauges. i tow my van 2 ton and with this zorst mod it works,when i get a bigger van if i need more ill look at chipping it.kev

patrol2.8
9th February 2013, 10:08 AM
need to know more about these gauges scan gauges whats the go with them

Just found this website its not the same as mine but its cheaper and seems to do the same thing take a look
http://scangauge.com.au/?page_id=332