PDA

View Full Version : GQ 1989 Patrol left indicator and hazard not working

jbf
8th February 2013, 11:35 AM
The left indicator failed when I was driving yesterday followed by the right 10 minutes later. Have checked lamps, all are ok. Replaced flasher unit and right hand indicator worked. When tested left hand indicator it appeared to burn out the flasher unit - but right hand still works (even with "burnt out" flasher) but hazards and left hand indicator still dont work.

The fuse was blown and I've replaced it with another 10A fuse. Also checked towbar wiring connections and seems to be ok.

Advice anyone please, gratefully appreciated.

Yendor
8th February 2013, 01:43 PM
Sounds like you possible have a short in the wiring for the left hand side indicator.

Start by removing the trailer plug and checking the connections in the back of the trailer plug, looking for any loose wires especially the yellow one.

If this is ok, you will then need to check the rest of the vehicles wiring. looking for any signs of damage or places where the harness might be rubbing on sharp edges.

Have a good look at the wires around the radiator support panel and the lights in your bull bar (if fitted).

Have you checked the fuse for the hazard lights? it's a separate fuse to the indicators.

jbf
10th February 2013, 07:26 PM
The fault appeared to be in the indicator stalk. Can't be a 100% sure but i pulled it out of the steering column and sprayed it with some cleaning fluid. The fault was initially still there, however the next day when it had properly dried out... no more fault. I expect the fault will come back at some point so i will get a second chance at it. learned a lot this time round. Thanks for the advice, good to know there is support out there.

Yendor
11th February 2013, 06:08 PM
The fault appeared to be in the indicator stalk. Can't be a 100% sure but i pulled it out of the steering column and sprayed it with some cleaning fluid. The fault was initially still there, however the next day when it had properly dried out... no more fault. I expect the fault will come back at some point so i will get a second chance at it. learned a lot this time round. Thanks for the advice, good to know there is support out there.

Thanks for the update.

I'm not sure if that will be your problem though, the indicator stalk should not stop the hazards lights from working.

It possibly could be a problem with the hazard light switch.

If it starts playing up again try pushing the hazard light switch a few times.

Cheers Rodney

NP99
14th February 2013, 11:18 PM
I'd also spray some WD in the globe housings.