PDA

View Full Version : GU and hand throttle how?

outback
7th February 2013, 01:24 PM
I had an old GQ with one and it was very useful in winching as it kept the revs and hence amps up for the battery.
The GU i have does not have one and its annoying especially when winching and worse climbing when you need stable revs.

Is it possible to fit one to a GU patrol?
The accelerator is all electric and so far I am stuck to find a way around this.

outback
7th February 2013, 01:30 PM
Forgot to add, 2005 ST GU with ZD30 engine.

Sir Roofy
7th February 2013, 02:59 PM
forgot to add, 2005 st gu with zd30 engine.

why not use a cable and pully system
of the accelorator pedal

the evil twin
7th February 2013, 03:08 PM
I had an old GQ with one and it was very useful in winching as it kept the revs and hence amps up for the battery.
The GU i have does not have one and its annoying especially when winching and worse climbing when you need stable revs.

Is it possible to fit one to a GU patrol?
The accelerator is all electric and so far I am stuck to find a way around this.

For winching I just use the "fast idle" switch... makes a difference but would be even better if it did an extra few hundred over what it is already set at.

lorrieandjas
7th February 2013, 03:28 PM
For winching I just use the "fast idle" switch... makes a difference but would be even better if it did an extra few hundred over what it is already set at.

Hey mate - nice tip! Hadn't even thought of that.......

Jas

Maxhead
7th February 2013, 03:36 PM
Yep, same here. The fast idle, heater accelerator or whatever its called works ok but could have bit extra rpm.

..........on the move

nickpeacock36
7th February 2013, 04:41 PM
Does leaving the switch on for long periods do any damage though?

threedogs
7th February 2013, 05:02 PM
Do Yendor, Chaz or anyone know how to set the revs on the fast idle ???????????????

Sir Roofy
7th February 2013, 05:06 PM
does leaving the switch on for long periods do any damage though?

it is after all a warm up button ,good question mate

outback
8th February 2013, 12:29 AM
Yep, same here. The fast idle, heater accelerator or whatever its called works ok but could have bit extra rpm.

Yes works ok so long as the vehicle is not in gear. Also max rpm is 1500. It does not matter if the engine is hot or cold.
The thing is to make it useful it needs to have higher revs and also not cut out when in gear.

It might be possible to attach a short cable and sleeve to the top of the accelerator pedal arm and use the plugged hole down by the steering wheel height adjustment laver. There is a place where it should possibly go though well out of the way and difficult to easily reach.

Which GU had the hand throttle? Could modify one of these.

fracster
8th February 2013, 05:29 AM
Could you not rig up a "choke cable", as found on older petrol engined carby engines?

outback
9th February 2013, 01:58 PM
Could you not rig up a "choke cable", as found on older petrol engined carby engines?

Looking at something like that. It just has to be a small cable to get to the accelerator bar.

MC97GQ
9th February 2013, 02:18 PM
Does the GU have drive by wire or a cable accelerator if cable, what about using the accelerator pedal off a GQ it already has a mounting point for a hand throttle cable, then just get the hand throttle cable drill a hole below the instrument cluster to fit the knob and jobs done.

scotty83
9th February 2013, 07:37 PM
Does the GU have drive by wire or a cable accelerator if cable,.

3.0L is drive-by-wire

threedogs
9th February 2013, 08:03 PM
Being drive by wire Think you are pushing it uphill.
Maybe whats needed is remove the fast idle switch
and replace it with a potentiometer so you can controll revs better
if it can be done that way only Yendor can say IMO
just throwing the idea out there, another million dollar idea given away
when will I learn lol

Years ago this mod was in 4wd action the person used a cable accelerator off a lawnmower
He cable tied it to his gear stick an could vary revs that way, very primitive IMO

WogsRus
9th February 2013, 09:26 PM
It would be pretty easy to make one work on a GU, if you can get the same plug as on the connector 53 you can plug in a potentiometer an hay presto, hand throttle

http://www.offroadengineering.com/product-offroad-jeep.html

Yendor
9th February 2013, 10:36 PM
Being drive by wire Think you are pushing it uphill.
Maybe whats needed is remove the fast idle switch
and replace it with a potentiometer so you can controll revs better
if it can be done that way only Yendor can say IMO
just throwing the idea out there, another million dollar idea given away
when will I learn lol

Years ago this mod was in 4wd action the person used a cable accelerator off a lawnmower
He cable tied it to his gear stick an could vary revs that way, very primitive IMO

The fast idle switch is a simple on/off input to the ECU, replacing the switch with a POT won't work.

MC97GQ
10th February 2013, 10:38 AM
I have found a quick fix to this problem, it is readily available at any good hardware shop and should only cost about a dollar,

Place this on the accelerator pedal and it should work just fine,

Sorry couldn't help myself

Mark

Robo
10th February 2013, 11:05 AM
Why not get a MQ or GQ pull throttle cable assembly from the wreckers or even a new one from Mr Nissan.

outback
10th February 2013, 12:29 PM
Why not get a MQ or GQ pull throttle cable assembly from the wreckers or even a new one from Mr Nissan.

Looking at that option. just got to sort out the connections to the fly by wire accelerator.

P4trol
10th February 2013, 03:09 PM
Foam under the accelerator to stop your foot bouncing?

threedogs
10th February 2013, 05:00 PM
Being drive by wire the only way to fix this problem is to tap in to the electrics, not sure where but TPS seems logical
somehow fit a "POT" to trick the throttle its working. not 100% this would work but throwing ideas out there for the more
learned to ponder over looking at a set of scematics, come on must be some tech heads out there, this is a $million product
overseas/world wide sales if done correctely

P4trol
10th February 2013, 05:31 PM
Does anyone have the schematics to post up here?

happygu
10th February 2013, 05:37 PM
You would be better off looking at the schematics for the Cruise Control, to see if it is possible to modify it so it works at lower speeds. Then you still have the safety of being able to hit the brakes and drop it back to idle, without having to find another switch or pot to adjust.

Mic

threedogs
10th February 2013, 05:39 PM
@ P4trol to combat your foot bouncing on/off throttle, jam your foot against the firewall and try then.
Much easier to control throttle imput. We call it Toyota lerch lol Makes it easier on slow rocky sections as well
Try it it works, trust me

Back to thread now the ideas are coming , ok later models have CC std I take it
I have Autron CC fitted, Would they work at these low speeds other people call
these Hill decent control amongst others .

outback
10th February 2013, 06:00 PM
From what I understand with the fly by wire vehicles most of the standard CCs and even the Autron CC have software that does the controlling. Hence it should be possible to deal with low speeds.
What i find more interesting is the number of people who want the hand throttle but its not an option in their patrols.

threedogs
10th February 2013, 06:23 PM
My last 4x4 which I'm not allowed to mention, It was a troopy there I've said it.
That had a pull/twist lock hand throttle, gee we had fun with it,
Going up small hills we all jump out and look like we are directing driver
others in our party saying gee TD is thorough, they then realise no one is driving
and call me an idiot, all jump back into Troopy and continue

Personally I'd like a knob I can turn on the dash with on/off button.
How hard is it to do??
would work down hill too

Robo
11th February 2013, 01:52 AM
Being drive by wire the only way to fix this problem is to tap in to the electrics, not sure where but TPS seems logical
somehow fit a "POT" to trick the throttle its working. not 100% this would work but throwing ideas out there for the more
learned to ponder over looking at a set of scematics, come on must be some tech heads out there, this is a $million product
overseas/world wide sales if done correctely
Only problem some cheap and nasty bloke in china would steel the design and build it for 2 grains of rice and sell it back to you cheaper than you can buy parts to manufacture it locally.