PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen scratches

Drew
7th February 2013, 10:52 AM
I used to use Bon ami in a previous life but looks like its not being sold here anymore, my dad suggested toothpaste.

So What do y'all use to get rid of those pesky light scratches left from the wipers ?

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

jack
7th February 2013, 11:21 AM
I had a bad scratch from the wiper on a ford I was selling. Tried toothpaste, brasso, cut and polish and nothing helped, even used a pad on an orbital sander.
Ended up taking it to the windscreen guys and was quoted $50, booked it in and dropped if off a couple of days later.
Went to pick it up and it was still parked where I left it, untouched. The boss was so pi55ed at his guys for not doing it he made them do it there and then, 10mins and no charge.
It was a pretty bad scratch and completely polished out - not sure what they used but it worked.

threedogs
7th February 2013, 12:44 PM
They must have some great cutting paste. Please dont get me started on windscreens
Go totally Reamed by a big company.

Drew
7th February 2013, 05:22 PM
They must have some great cutting paste. Please dont get me started on windscreens
Go totally Reamed by a big company.

I hear its not so bad once your break the seal ;):) LOL

3 days to do a 10 min job? Wow

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

Squalo
7th February 2013, 06:13 PM
I haven't done it myself, but have read that a claybar cleans up a windscreen like new.

mick.
7th February 2013, 09:22 PM
I haven't done it myself, but have read that a claybar cleans up a windscreen like new.Yes they remove grit, grime and overspray of windscreeens, paint, rubbers, plastics and pretty much anything else on a car.

As for window scratched some windows they can be removed easily with windscreen cutting compounds. Sometimes it can be just as cheap to replace the windscreens to if there bad scratches. If it's a GQ you only pay about $100 trade for a screen and $60 to remove and replace if the rubbers are fine.

Cheers Mick.

stevogq
7th February 2013, 09:55 PM
I have a guy who does it in melb, uses a cutting compound that is diamond based ended looking like a brand new screen
cheers stevo.

James1990
16th February 2013, 01:08 AM
Well I hate these scratches because they always irritating. But now in market we can buy a scratch removing kit which can help us to remove those scratches. But I think it depends that how deep those scratches because if they are very deep then I think its impossible to remove them but if they are on upper surface then we can wipe out them with scratch removing kits and those kits are not much expensive.

missingdna
16th February 2013, 03:54 PM
if scratches are too deep then polishing is not advised. Same as polishing scratches from paintwork, if they are too deep then you will end up polishing through the paintwork. With glass, if you have deep scratches and polish them out you can create a distortion in the glass.
A long deep scratch, say cause by a broken wiper blade, when polished out COULD leave a large distortion only really noticable when driving. Kinda like as you pass something while driving and all of a sudden it hits the polished area and it ripples like the crazy mirrors at the circus.
A distortion like this can be dangerous and make the car unroadworthy.
minor scratches should be ok, but as a screen ages it will accumulate damage,and it IS only glass. Better off weariing the cost of a new screen or hopefully have glass coverage on your insurance.

threedogs
16th February 2013, 03:59 PM
Will PM BFF regards claybar
Mate has scratches on inside from MOFs wedding ring