PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a 1998 GU

AB
1st December 2010, 09:28 AM
Just found a 1998 GU ST manual wagon for sale with 6 cylinder Unleaded Multi-point injected 4.5L (4479cc).

Done 160k and asking 7k, Stock as stock can be, family looking car.

RWC and rego till March 2011

Does anyone have any thoughts on these, they were the first GU's and I know that they don't compare against the 4.8's but looks quite cheap. Were these a little bit under powered or was that just a myth?

Appreciate any help.

Bob
1st December 2010, 11:42 AM
I have one of these and the Motor is a bit of a Dog but functions quite well except when you have to pull a load up a Hill.Mine is Dual Fuel and I use 18/20 Litres per 100 K's on Gas which is quite economical.
Gets out to 25 Litres per 100 K's when towing a Jayco Dove. $7,000 seems a bloody good price if the 160 K's is right

AB
1st December 2010, 11:44 AM
I have one of these and the Motor is a bit of a Dog but functions quite well except when you have to pull a load up a Hill.Mine is Dual Fuel and I use 18/20 Litres per 100 K's on Gas which is quite economical.
Gets out to 25 Litres per 100 K's when towing a Jayco Dove. $7,000 seems a bloody good price if the 160 K's is right

It does seem a little cheap doesn't it...lol

No contact number for the seller either only email so I'll see if they reply....Thanks Bob

YNOT
1st December 2010, 11:49 AM
The car looks quite good. 4.5 manual will have the larger H260 rear diff - very strong but expensive if you ever decide you want a rear locker. Gas system looks like it might be Impco which is a very good brand.
That does seem like a lot of car for the money so just beware it's not a scam of some sort. Would seem very unlikely it is, just saying be careful.

My opinion of the TB45E 4.5 engine. Quite a strong and smooth motor, does have a known weakness in the conrods. Is not usually a problem if the motor is left basically standard (don't turbo it!) and not driven like a racecar, TB42 rods bolt straight in and are stronger.
Slightly more powerful than the TB42E, but no extra performance due to the GU being heavier than the GQ.
Very heavy on fuel, expect maximum 400km to a tank of gas, limited touring range, especially if the petrol tank is still the standard 30 litre sub tank.
Check rear door (with spare tyre on it) for cracks down the opening side, very common.
That's all I can think of for now.

Tony

AB
1st December 2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply Tony.

I'm not overly fazzed about economy as this will not be a daily work car.

Having saying that though, very concerned about little information provided on the advert and no phone number makes me slightly concerned....See what happens.

Bob
1st December 2010, 03:13 PM
AB

Red Book Prices are

Private Sale $9000 to $11,200

Trade In Price $6,400 to $8,600

Ave K's 180000 to 300,000 The Trade in Price assuming in reasonable Condition with 160,000 on Clock would be in excess if $9,000

Most Cars on ebay for this Model are $9,000 upwards

AB
1st December 2010, 03:57 PM
AB

Red Book Prices are

Private Sale $9000 to $11,200

Trade In Price $6,400 to $8,600

Ave K's 180000 to 300,000 The Trade in Price assuming in reasonable Condition with 160,000 on Clock would be in excess if $9,000

Most Cars on ebay for this Model are $9,000 upwards

Thanks Bob, I checked Redbook as well and was suprised....It looks a little too good to be true. No reply from seller yet so will wait until tonight.

Number plate checks out ok.....Little bit sceptical about this seller though.

There are some dodgy people out there though. I almost got done on Ebay a few years back for a 5k purchase on a 10k Kubota Tractor with a 4 in 1 and backhoe attachment...Bargain! They even set up fake Ebay emails that we were corrosponding to each other, They were perfect and I never knew. I had the money ready up until they said give us the money and we will send it out to you using DHL....I was like what??? No mate, I need to see it first before any transaction is going to take place....Never heard from them again.

wildgu6
1st December 2010, 04:44 PM
Andy dont know a lot about the petrol models, but the 98 GUs in S.A retail for around 14k with about 180+ on the clock.
Sounds dirt cheap to me buddy. Sounds like it might be worth a look. Might be a good score.
Heard about guys buying rediculously cheap cars because the motor is stuffed or something stupid like that and all it needed was a cracked spark plug replaced.

Cheers Pete

AB
1st December 2010, 08:18 PM
Andy dont know a lot about the petrol models, but the 98 GUs in S.A retail for around 14k with about 180+ on the clock.
Sounds dirt cheap to me buddy. Sounds like it might be worth a look. Might be a good score.
Heard about guys buying rediculously cheap cars because the motor is stuffed or something stupid like that and all it needed was a cracked spark plug replaced.

Cheers Pete

Still waiting for the seller to reply...I was hoping for a reply on the email when I just got home but nothing!

Pauly (patch697) has kindly offered to come down for a look with me which will be a huge help as It's right near his area.

Still waiting for the email reply. I'm sure now that everyone is home from work on the computer he has probably recieved 20 emails by now.

AB
2nd December 2010, 10:22 AM
Well, the advert has been taken off the net...Bummer!

Not sure if it was dodgy or someone beat me to it...

AB
7th December 2010, 07:49 AM
Well I thought this one might have been a scam and I think it is...

I just got this email below from the seller....Bare in mind that the advert has been taken down from Carsales and the advert had no contact number.

Hello there,
I appreciate that you contacted me. First let me say that the 1998 NISSAN PATROL GU ST is available for $6990.
It is in good condition,there's no scratches or any dents on it,very well maintained,please check the pictures, I have a clear title for it, no liens or loans. Never been in any accidents.
Rego will expire on Aug 2011 and has 160000km
The reason why I'm selling it so cheap (it`s real value is much higher) is because my 8 year old daughter is very sick and we need those money as soon as possible to pay her treatment,right now i don`t care about money,my daughter`s health comes first.....
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate ask.Where are you located?
Best Regards

Its the exact same story as when I nearly got scammed with the Kubota many years ago. They put the advert up, heaps of people email the seller, they pull the advert down and then reply a few weeks later....Had the same story with the sick daughter as well.

I will reply to them with my location and asking to see the car and will see what happens.

Very very dodgy!!!

YNOT
7th December 2010, 08:02 AM
As they say, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Tony

AB
7th December 2010, 01:39 PM
SCAMS SCAMS SCAMMERS...LOL
I hope this guy replies to my email as I love to mess these scammers around...I like to play games with them and ask for their bank details and say that I have transferred the money, etc. They then email back saying we havent got the money again and I just love stuffing them around...lol

Dear Carsales Network Customer,

Removed or Suspended Advertisement
You recently sent an enquiry on the following item:
AD ID Number: 9551013

Description: 1998 Nissan Patrol ST GU

Price: $6990
Please be aware that this advertisement has been suspended or withdrawn from display on the Carsales Network (this includes Carsales.com.au, Carpoint.com.au and our member websites).
We withdraw or suspend advertisements if we consider that the advertisement may:

be illegal or fraudulent;
infringe the intellectual property rights of a person; or
otherwise be in breach of our Advertising Terms and Conditions.
An advertisement may also be suspended if we consider that the advertisement has been accessed or modified by an unauthorised person.
We take this opportunity to remind you that you are solely responsible for your dealings with any seller and urge you to buy responsibly.
Visit www.scamwatch.gov.au (http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/) for information on learning how to recognise, report and protect yourself from scams. You can also check out the Play It Safer Online (http://helpcentre.carsales.com.au/) section on our website for tips on safe and responsible buying.
WARNING: Recently scammers have sent false emails to consumers about advertisements removed by Carsales. The email is made to look like it was sent by Carsales, verifying the sale as legitimate. If you receive such an email it is likely to be a fake, designed to convince you to enter into a transaction with the scammer – please do not hesitate to Contact us (http://helpcentre.carsales.com.au/help/contact-us) (03) 9093 8666 if you have any doubts or for further assistance.
TAKING CARE ONLINE: We'd like to remind you that even though you use the internet to find vehicles and other items on the Carsales Network. The vast majority of transactions are face-to-face, which means you (or a trusted friend or advisor) should inspect the item and conduct other due diligence (like a REVS check to see if any money is owed on a vehicle) before handing over any money. For more information on buying safely please have a look at our Play It Safer Online (http://helpcentre.carsales.com.au/) section.
NEVER: Send money in advance of receiving the item. Please let us know if a seller asks you to send money first, especially using services such as Western Union or MoneyGram.

Woof
7th December 2010, 05:21 PM
Let the Buyer beware..........sounds very dodgy to me as well AB

wildgu6
7th December 2010, 06:05 PM
Certainly does sound dodgy Andy, BUT you could also be missing a bargain as well??
Play his game and see what comes of it.
Good to see carsales network is keeping an eye on things as well.

Cheers Pete

Bob
7th December 2010, 06:52 PM
I have purchased two Patrols on ebay and at least you can see the sellers rating on there.
Both Purchases went through OK and I got what I paid for.
I dont even bid on any item without the seller having a good rating.

AB
7th December 2010, 07:21 PM
I'll see if the person replies but I'm 99.99% sure Its dodgy.

You can also just tell by the way they type sentences, doesn't read like any fluent english speaking person...lol

Bigrig
7th December 2010, 07:24 PM
I'd already placed a deposit !!! Damn it .... lololol ...

AB
7th December 2010, 07:27 PM
I'd already placed a deposit !!! Damn it .... lololol ...

Mate it happens to lots of people.

A lot of people don't really know how computers work.

A girl from our work got a pop up yesterday that said "You have a virus, click here to fix it"....She clicked it and installed a bad virus throughout the entire network...lol

Bigrig
7th December 2010, 07:33 PM
Have a guess what I do for a living (and 'NO' Todd and Kelvin - that would hardly be considered a profession .. lolol)???

NissanGQ4.2
7th December 2010, 07:40 PM
A girl from our work got a pop up yesterday that said "You have a virus, click here to fix it"....She clicked it and installed a bad virus throughout the entire network...lol

hahahha, that just cracks me up

AB
7th December 2010, 07:41 PM
Have a guess what I do for a living (and 'NO' Todd and Kelvin - that would hardly be considered a profession .. lolol)???

Press random buttons on the internet to see if you can win that million dollar prize pop up...lol

I would have to say I.T recovery type work?

Bigrig
7th December 2010, 07:43 PM
Press random buttons on the internet to see if you can win that million dollar prize pop up...lol

I would have to say I.T recovery type work?

Oh, I press random buttons mate, but usually on people who aren't working like a team and doing things my way!!! IT Recovery is sort of a term for it I guess ... depends what side of the supplier/client fence you are on!! lmfao

Ciao lads (as per general banter post).

Finly Owner
7th December 2010, 08:48 PM

Brew sampler?

AB
8th December 2010, 07:53 AM
The scammer replied below...Same old story, don't have time to meet the potential buyers so I have given the car to a shipping company who will deliver it to the new buyer...YAY!!!...haha

Ill give them a fake name and address so they can spend 2 hours designing a dummy Ebay "official" email to myself for the "official" transaction...

I'm not sure how it switched from Carsales to Ebay...lol

Hi ,
I apologize for my late reply but I`m located in Adelaide right now at Hospital with my daughter,the thing is i have to stay here with her and i don`t have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers, that is why i gave to a shipping company that will ship it to the next owner in max 2-3 days(on my cost).

The sale will be managed through eBay under their Vehicle Purchase Protection program since they offer the highest rate of safety and reliability for transactions.
Through their Vehicle Purchase Program you will have 5 days to inspect and test it before proceeding to the payment step. The car will arrive with all the documentation's required for registration and the keys. I will send you all the papers and documents (clear title, bills of sale, manual) to be able to register it with no problem. The clear title and the bill of sale will be both signed so you can become owner of the car on spot.
If you will decide not to keep it, the same shipping company will pick up from you without any charges.

eBay will complete the invoice in your name and will instruct me to start the shipping once they will verify the delivery address.

So if you agree please email me your full name and address so I can start the official procedure trough eBay and they will send the invoice
and the details how the affiliated Dependable Auto Shippers company will shipp the vehicle.(closed cargo, time for delivery...)

PS: I paid the eBay registration fee and you don't have to pay anything else.
Best Regards

Bigrig
8th December 2010, 03:12 PM
They're just so polite though ... bless 'em ...

YNOT
14th December 2010, 11:00 PM
AB, are you only looking for Patrols? You find find a few more cars to look at if you look for Ford Mavericks as well.

Tony

Baileys
14th December 2010, 11:33 PM
Hey AB, Just reading all this. I have also seen the axact emails from these scumbags.
Once I realised it was a scam I messed with them to. I sent an encripted email from the Australian fraud sqaud saying that they are currently being watched and monitored through their computer. And People were under survailance in the UK (which is where she said she was from).
I can spot them from a mile away now. Never heard from her again. I managed to make her slip up and I got her mobile number. I still give her a call every now and again, courtesy of the Aust Fraud Squad.
Off course she never answers....He he he ;)
"Baileys"

AB
15th December 2010, 08:49 AM
AB, are you only looking for Patrols? You find find a few more cars to look at if you look for Ford Mavericks as well.

Tony

Hi Tony, yeah ive been looking at Mav's too but there arn't a lot for sale at the moment.

AB
15th December 2010, 08:50 AM
Hey AB, Just reading all this. I have also seen the axact emails from these scumbags.
Once I realised it was a scam I messed with them to. I sent an encripted email from the Australian fraud sqaud saying that they are currently being watched and monitored through their computer. And People were under survailance in the UK (which is where she said she was from).
I can spot them from a mile away now. Never heard from her again. I managed to make her slip up and I got her mobile number. I still give her a call every now and again, courtesy of the Aust Fraud Squad.
Off course she never answers....He he he ;)
"Baileys"

Love your work Baileys, they are very cluey with their scams. Professional emails with the exact layout and images of Ebay, etc.

If you didn't know computers very well you could easily fall for it!

zuluwoffle
15th December 2010, 02:27 PM
could have been a bargain but sounds a little dodgy. I just bought a 98 GU Patrol 4.5L with 402k km on the clock for $8,500

Sir Roofy
16th December 2010, 08:26 AM
We picked ours up for $16000 ,it is in show room condition had 175,000 on the clock,runs well and after joining the forum feel better about the fuel economy thanks to bob and other members imput
cheers rooy