PDA

View Full Version : Top mount v front mount?

dogga1612
5th February 2013, 08:23 PM
Hey everyone.
So I'm looking for a budget intercooler for my soon to be turbo TD42 GQ.
I'm not looking at running big boost and I'm not chasing insane power. I'm just after something to cool down my intake but also as a bit of reassurance that I wont get a turbo fin into a cylinder.
I can get a GU td42 stock top mount for $100, or should I go for a cheapish front mount from eBay.

In before "do it once, do it right" or "it's worth spending the extra money" or "just buy a turbo kit". All are valid statements, but remember, I'm on apprentice wages for the next 2 years.

dogga1612
5th February 2013, 09:02 PM
Also, what bonnet scoop would people recommend I put in if I go the top mount? Going by what looks pretty and what gets decent air flow.

Ben-e-boy
5th February 2013, 09:05 PM
If you are on a buget and not running big boost I would leave the intercooler for a while you can easily run 14psi unintercooled and still manage egts to an extent, and put the money towards a 3 core radiator. An N/A motor that has been turboed likes to heat up when under load.

I used to run 13psi unintercooled and did so for over 2 years without issue

dogga1612
5th February 2013, 09:20 PM
If you are on a buget and not running big boost I would leave the intercooler for a while you can easily run 14psi unintercooled and still manage egts to an extent, and put the money towards a 3 core radiator. An N/A motor that has been turboed likes to heat up when under load.

Great call mate. I knew there was something I forgot to add to the "to do" list. Got any bang for buck suggestions on radiators?

dogga1612
5th February 2013, 09:22 PM
Is it worth trusting the eBay ones?

Ben-e-boy
5th February 2013, 09:33 PM
I think you can get a 3 core copper radiator for about $550

nissannewby
5th February 2013, 09:44 PM

X2 on this. If budget is a a concern it will be fine without a cooler. And in addition to your other thread if using a turbo that size then stick with the standard pump it will be more than capable for what you want to achieve and with a good tune like Ben-e-boy you will have plenty of trouble free years.

dogga1612
5th February 2013, 09:54 PM
X2 on this. If budget is a a concern it will be fine without a cooler. And in addition to your other thread if using a turbo that size then stick with the standard pump it will be more than capable for what you want to achieve and with a good tune like Ben-e-boy you will have plenty of trouble free years.

Yep I reckon that's the go. Reco injectors, new radiator, slap on the turbo, get it tuned up. And wallah! Thanks for the advice guys. Muchly appreciated!