PDA

View Full Version : heavy front end vibration whilst driving

Slyder
5th February 2013, 05:40 PM
Hi all,

Hoping you may be able to asist me with a problem i have had.

I bought a Ti Patrol in 2005 and ever since have had a random shaking while driving. It used to only happen every now and then ............. and nissan service agent on the gold coast could never find a problem.

The last couple of years it has gotten worse and now when it happens i have to stop the car or turn sharply to get it to stop. I have taken it to over five different mechanics and all say there is no problem.

Tried wheel alignment/tyre balancing.......... had suspension checked etc.

I note it appears worse when in the rain and or going down hill.

Has anybody had this before?

Appreciate any assistance on this one.

Slyder

threedogs
5th February 2013, 06:05 PM
Check your wheel nuts first , they have a habit of coming loose.
is it at 80-90 k when it starts to shake??
You may want to pop over to intro section first, just something the forum asks of all of us.
plus you'll get a better response as well. now I'm thinking engine mount

Slyder
5th February 2013, 06:49 PM
thanks threedogs

generally it does seem to occur at that 80-90km interval. but will occur lower speed if going down hill or if in the rain.

I had some time ago checked the wheel nuts......... it did not seem to make a difference.............. i had a mate whose wheel came off his patrol.

threedogs
5th February 2013, 07:11 PM
Next time its up on a hoist go over all the bushes etc with a very large screw driver
Check engine ,trans/gearbox mounts as well. Check wheel bearings too

Slyder
6th February 2013, 05:11 PM
thanks will do.

im looking for a good 4x4 mechanic local.... you know anybody worth there salt?

Morton
6th February 2013, 09:38 PM
replace the steering dampner, these take a period to fail, replaced mine with a quality aftermarket unit & fixed the same issue, never been back in 2 years, still drives nice now

altech
7th February 2013, 12:03 PM
Hi Slyder, your not alone in this, mine does the same around 80 -90 kms thats when you use two hands on the wheel .....lol , then you do 100 and it go's away regard Alex

ozzymalone
7th February 2013, 12:39 PM
Had a similar problem in mine. It ended up being the Radius arm bushes being flogged out. That being said I still get a small amount of wobble/feedback between 80-90 once in a while. Am going to replace my steering damper soon as i think this may help soften the shakes. Good luck with it mate.

Don't know if you want to travel up to Capalaba to get to a good mechanic but I know BigRig and a couple of others all go to the one bloke there.

Slyder
10th February 2013, 11:58 PM
I have had the power steering looked at? ...... would they have picked up the dampner issue? ill get it looked at this week.............

thanks heaps guys............. this is the first time ive had anybody help me with it.......nissan dealer mechs (von bigra) were useless............. been there about six times and no help!!

93patrol
11th February 2013, 12:05 AM
An they probably wouldn't as it looks like a shock absorber put in the wrong spot so they more than likely wouldn't look at you can see it from the front of the car looking underneath

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Robo
11th February 2013, 12:43 AM
Bro do a search hands down, the most covered issue on the forum I recon.
Cheers

Bmak
11th February 2013, 06:09 PM
Mine does it about 80 or 100 if my tires are 40psi.
I have heard of many doing it and assumed it was the steering damper.

Drewboyaus
11th February 2013, 06:59 PM
So many reasons why.......
my money is on bushes.......
Is it a GQ or GU?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

NP99
14th February 2013, 08:47 PM
I thought it was a feature :-)

Bulbous
15th February 2013, 07:07 AM
Guys,
changing the steering Damper isn't going to fix the issue, but it will probably hide it. There is a problem here and it needs fixing NOT hiding so just changing the damper is probably not a good idea.
As ThreeDogs said, get it up in the air and check all the front end bushes and rods