PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket transmission oil cooler

june
3rd February 2013, 01:55 PM
about to purchase a craig/davis oil cooler part 678. it will go in front of factory intercooler. can anyone tell me does it matter how oil lines run. do oil lines have to go through factory cooler first? does fluid have to run a certain way? please help.

megatexture
3rd February 2013, 04:00 PM
It won't matter about flow direction unless your cooler states otherwise and you would be better off mounting it in front the radiator. i plumb mine in after the factory cooler.
Can't comment on Craig/ Davis cooler as mine is a pwr

june
3rd February 2013, 05:03 PM
so on the zd30 which oil line is your flow. eg. does it flow into your factory cooler from the top down or from the top up.

june
5th February 2013, 02:00 PM
i thought you might be interested since i posted this thread i have done some research on fitting a craig/ davis oil cooler. firstly for 100% efficent it is recommended after market cooler go in front of factory cooler. secondly the additional cooler must be placed downstream to minimise oil temperatures. to identify which oil line flows into and out of your factory cooler a simple method to check is start the engine cold. place transmission shift lever in drive for no more than 10 seconds. stop the engine. identify oil return line by feeling both oil lines. coolest line is the return line back to transmission. ( eg.for my zd30 the top hose on factory cooler was the return line). once flow is determined its a matter of fitting after market cooler in-series. simple terms, piggy back both coolers together. cooler cost $139 at super cheap and took around 3 hours to fit. hope this helps any one else doing this mod.

megatexture
5th February 2013, 06:27 PM
Didn't it come with any instructions like you have posted ?

june
6th February 2013, 08:06 AM
yes it did however i wanted this info prior to buying the product as it does matter which way oil flow travels.anyhow all is good and hope this info helps others