PDA

View Full Version : Over heating issues!

Risto79
3rd February 2013, 01:16 PM
Hi,
I'm only new to this forum, but after reading a lot of the post I'm sure you might be able to help me solve my issues.
I have a 07 common rail ZD30 that is running at around 85c on flat ground but as soon as it see's a hill temp spikes to over 110c.
I recently changed the coolent and the fan clutch but still have an issue. I can't hear the fan kick in once temp starts to spike. I really hope its not the head gasket.
How can I check to see if the head gasket is blown without pulling the head off?

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

Parksy
3rd February 2013, 02:30 PM
There are block tester kits that can be purchased on eBay. They test the cooling system for emissions which indicates a possible leak. But an easy and cheap way is to cut a coke bottle in half, use it like a funnel and place it onto your radiator fill spout and using electrical tape, wrap it around the filler to keep the water in the funnel. Then fill with distilled water to about half way. Run the engine and examine the funnel for bubbling. Consistent bubbling is a good indication of gasket issues. I'd expect the occasional bubble at start up, wil probably be just trapped air escaping.

Risto79
3rd February 2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks I'll give it a go. I've got it booked in for a radiator service tomorrow. Hopefully its just a block radiator.

Parksy
3rd February 2013, 04:23 PM
Might be worth replacing the thermostat. Also check the radiator fins for blockage. My patrol had the thermostat removed when I bought it. Usually a good sign that it once had an overheating problem. When I installed a new thermostat I also installed a new radiator. With the old radiator removed and the shroud removed, it was very obvious as to why it had an over heating issue. Was blocked to the s##t house! Wasn't obvious with the shroud installed though.

Aben Dean
3rd February 2013, 04:33 PM
110c with Aircon on on the hill in bit hot conditions can be expected i guess?? what does your factory gauge show??

Risto79
3rd February 2013, 07:31 PM
Factory gauge is just over half. I took it for a drive today minus the spot lights and the gauge was sitting on 90c, I guess it comes down to air flow over the radiator. I need to down size my spot lights.

Aben Dean
4th February 2013, 04:34 AM
90-100deg is not bad. But i see many 4wds with those lightforce 240's not heating up or maybe there are.

Risto79
4th February 2013, 06:21 PM
Turns out I had a blocked radiator due to mixed coolants and calcium buildup and a whole lot of other rubbish in the system.$700 later I hope natrad can fix it.
New radiator new thermostat new coolant.
I have never seen anything like this!!!

threedogs
4th February 2013, 06:37 PM
Sounds right, did you upgrade the radiator or keep the STD size ???

Risto79
4th February 2013, 06:52 PM
I went for the same size only because I got quoted $1300 for a oversized radiator.

Aben Dean
5th February 2013, 06:35 AM
that shud get it right

Risto79
10th February 2013, 06:10 PM
Good as gold now, temperature is stable at around 85c. With spoties and under load I can't get it to go over 90c :D:D