PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a grab handle to the A pillar.

GQPorkroll
1st February 2013, 06:05 PM
So, some time ago I bought an A pillar gauge pod. It will be housing a tacho and a volt meter for the auxiliary battery. The item came pre painted and with holes to use a grab handle,

After a bit of looking, couldn't find one for a GQ so went for one off a GU. Knew there wouldn't be holes there in my pillar but figured I'd be able to do it somehow.

Anyway, long story short, what I've decided to do is buy a blind screw rivet tool (called many things, possibly even a scrivet) and use that to put a thread inside the pillar capable of holding a handle strong enough to be used.

I saw several people on the forum asking about this, but no one seemed to have a definitive answer, so I may take some photos and do a how-to tutorial if there is enough interest.

As ill never really use the tool again, I wouldn't mind loaning it to members, as it's about $90 to buy the kit and a bit pricey for a one off thing so it may deter some people. I'd be happy to loan it for postage to and from and a small donation.

Related, am I right in thinking that if I run a relay I will be able to turn the gauge on and off with my key, as I don't want to use a toggle switch and don't want to run the gauge all the time. (I'm thinking I'd run a ground wire, acc to switch, positive from the battery to power and load to the gauge).

threedogs
1st February 2013, 06:52 PM
What size rivnut /nutsert are you planning to use ????

GQPorkroll
1st February 2013, 07:25 PM
The GU has a 5/16 UNF bolt holding the handle on, ill use metric, only because it's easier to get the scrivets in 8mm. I spoke with the supplier and a steel one should be more than strong enough to do what I want to do.

MudRunnerTD
1st February 2013, 08:53 PM
AB has a DIY thread on installing nutserts without the tool. You should be able to get it done with forking out for th tool mate. Have a search around or pm AB. Sorry on my iPhone now so search sux.

AB
1st February 2013, 09:08 PM
I'm on my phone too but type into the search ; how to install a nutsert without the tooling, hopefully that works bud.

Clunk
1st February 2013, 09:13 PM
Here you go

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=3531

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! Duh

Morton
2nd February 2013, 08:02 AM
I just read through all the different posts, this is going to save me heaps, I could use this on a few applications even in the building industry, I didnt know it existed but such a great idea, I learn something evey week on here, seriously you guys are 'da bomb', as my Kiwi mate just said "thats choice bro" lol

threedogs
2nd February 2013, 10:39 AM
Most of my mates work or did work for Qantas/Ansett over the years they use the Rivnut tool all the time.
very neat way of installing brackets etc and not looking out of place. My other 4x4 covered in these inserts
Rivnut is the Aviation name, sort of like zip ties to cable ties, and who'd think a PK was a self tapping screw

Cuppa
2nd February 2013, 12:41 PM
Have used quite a few riv-nuts in my camper build. If planning to use a few getting the tool is worthwhile. The one I bought (like this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AIR-HYDRAULIC-BLIND-RIVET-NUT-RIV-NUT-INSERT-GUN-METRIC-M4-5-6-8-10-M12-/121056458351?pt=AU_Air_Tools&hash=item1c2f86f66f&_uhb=1#ht_2935wt_907)) was fairly exy at $160, an air one to run off my compressor. Don't regret buying it for a moment. You do need to practice a bit with it before use though, if wrongly adjusted it can pull the threads out of the riv-nut, leaving the task of then removing the inserted riv-nut. Bugger of a job, especially in confined areas.

Cuppa

GQPorkroll
2nd February 2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah I assumed I would be able to compress it another way but decided at the end of the day the tool is probably fool safe and now I've had time to think about it, I can think of at least another 2 or 3 places I can use them, (thanks to whoever mentioned a snorkel, that's one job that requires 3!) so now I think about it, it's probably a very handy bit of kit to have.

Offer will still stand for anyone who needs it to borrow the tool once I get it, though.

Damian_74
3rd February 2013, 08:28 PM
If you only want to go to 6mm in ally - these work well

http://www.tradetools.com/products/T5861

Robbomaz
4th February 2013, 04:40 PM
Have used quite a few riv-nuts in my camper build. If planning to use a few getting the tool is worthwhile. The one I bought (like this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AIR-HYDRAULIC-BLIND-RIVET-NUT-RIV-NUT-INSERT-GUN-METRIC-M4-5-6-8-10-M12-/121056458351?pt=AU_Air_Tools&hash=item1c2f86f66f&_uhb=1#ht_2935wt_907)) was fairly exy at $160, an air one to run off my compressor. Don't regret buying it for a moment. You do need to practice a bit with it before use though, if wrongly adjusted it can pull the threads out of the riv-nut, leaving the task of then removing the inserted riv-nut. Bugger of a job, especially in confined areas.

Cuppa
I bought one off Fleabay for $99 - then spent another hundy or so on the nuts in M4,6 & 8. Awesome tool, hardly anything on my truck uses self-tappers any more!

Robbomaz
4th February 2013, 04:44 PM
If you only want to go to 6mm in ally - these work well

http://www.tradetools.com/products/T5861
I had the hand tool before I bought the air one. M6 was hard, M8 just barely possible with much grunting & swearing. Air tool is effortless, although as cuppa said you need to drop the pressure with a reg as it will easily strip a insert or break a shaft on the smaller sizes