PDA

View Full Version : Noisy tappet...

jamied
31st January 2013, 08:05 PM
I've had a go at setting tappets about six times now. I've followed the method described on this forum which is exactly the same as in the manual but I'm still getting the annoying tick tick tick. Does this suggest something needing further attention or replacing?

dogga1612
31st January 2013, 08:31 PM
Mate, I've heard of the tappets wearing down on their contact point, which gives you a false reading when you slide in the feeler gauge. Possibly worth a look in.

Diesel-Mate
31st January 2013, 08:42 PM
Mate, I've heard of the tappets wearing down on their contact point, which gives you a false reading when you slide in the feeler gauge. Possibly worth a look in.

X2 agree

The td42 is known for wearing grooves in the rocker face and the only way to check is by unbolting all of them and checking. Also generally the td42 is a noisy engine anyway. You may need someone else to have a listen as you may be hearing noises that are normal.

pearcey
31st January 2013, 08:44 PM
As above mate. Remove the rocker shaft an inspect the tappet faces they do wear but you can reface them. Get a pro to reface them as the hardness of the rockerarm is not all that thick or replace the the arm.

93patrol
31st January 2013, 08:46 PM
X3 my injector pump is noisy as all hell

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

jamied
1st February 2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the reply's. should have mentioned its a carby tb42. Does the same still apply. I imagine it would.

BigRAWesty
1st February 2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the reply's. should have mentioned its a carby tb42. Does the same still apply. I imagine it would.

All bar the injector pump..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)