PDA

View Full Version : GU towbar tongue vs. GQ towbar tongue

Flo-w
31st January 2013, 02:42 PM
I was wondering if anybody knew if a genuin towbar tongue from a GU would fit a genuin towbar of a GQ?

This is the item in question (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190787599689?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_500wt_1414).

threedogs
31st January 2013, 02:51 PM
Yes it will fit its called a class 2 hitch receiver 50x50 rhs
The 16mm pin hole is either 65mm or 45mm from end of your tow bar

Flo-w
5th February 2013, 12:02 PM
Actually found out yesterday that they do NOT match. The genuin Nissan GU towbar has a 51x51mm receiver where the GQ until '95 has a 50x50mm receiver.
The GU tongue I bought doesn't fit my GQ. The muffler and towbar guy I went to afterwards stated the above. He also reckons that some older Toyotas have a 50x50 receiver.
In addition I can confirm different pin hole positions as pointed out by threedogs (but that wasn't the problem for me).

threedogs
5th February 2013, 12:13 PM
Really, did not know that, I do know Holden{rodeo} have an offset pin hole making you go OE.
As for pin hole position thats more to do with available space, big rear overhang etc
Just sent an email to check/confirm.

BigRAWesty
5th February 2013, 01:19 PM
Actually found out yesterday that they do NOT match. The genuin Nissan GU towbar has a 51x51mm receiver where the GQ until '95 has a 50x50mm receiver.
The GU tongue I bought doesn't fit my GQ. The muffler and towbar guy I went to afterwards stated the above. He also reckons that some older Toyotas have a 50x50 receiver.
In addition I can confirm different pin hole positions as pointed out by threedogs (but that wasn't the problem for me).

Wow, another one stumped here

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

ripper
12th March 2013, 03:56 AM
This sounds like they used imperial (2") RHS for the GU tow bars. Seems odd, but stranger things have happened.

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2013, 07:02 AM

Well thats interesting.....

When i was at the Airshow last week in the GUIV i needed to tow a Light Tower. I did not have my Tow Tongue. No big deal the GQ beside me had one! "Hey mate can i borrow your tongue?" "Sure" he said.

The GQ Tongue was TO BIG for the GU Tow bar

We towed the light tower with the GQ!!

threedogs
12th March 2013, 07:07 AM
how embarrasment,,,,,,!!!

Dominator
12th March 2013, 01:40 PM
Well blow me down. I assumed they would be the same. Seems silly to change them. Ah well, new lesson learned every day.

kevin07
13th March 2013, 09:48 PM
my brother and i tried this a while ago as he has a towing neck on his gq which weighs 45kg his is a solid bar where as though the one from gu is hollow and did not fit