PDA

View Full Version : Hi all Just upgraded from a LPG GQ to a 3.0 Turbo GU III

MuTz
30th January 2013, 08:33 PM
Was Just searching info on the 3.0 Di motor I now own.
Have been a bit worried that I payed to much, though I know the Full History of the
Car got from my Brother In-law.
She is a beauty though Got lots of extras
ARB bullbar sidestep Roof Rack
Warn Winch
IPF lights with HID upgrade
Kmar Rear Bar with 2x wheel carriers 2xwheels and 1x twin jerry carrier
Long Range Tank 145ltr
3" suspension lift (quality stuff as with everything he did with the car)
98000KM
New Genuine Clutch about 15000 ago

turbo timer (Though some say not really needed) comments ?

Also has a Dtronics Power Chip I think is what its called (not sure if this is a good or bad thing)
Has standard Exhaust not sure if I should upgrade this in the near future ?
Guy that chipped it said no need to upgrade it.

So How does my 2004 GU 3.0 compare to my old GQ1994 4.2Petrol/Gas ?? 2"lift Cheap one
Freeway driving is very similar maybe GQ could gain a bit more speed up hill but not much in it
Off road much better in the GU
Dirt Road GU is so much better again

Problems with the GU
noise coming from the rear diff on the highway like a slight winding sound?
When turning a sharp right on take off if you give it too much it kinda hops
but does not do it turning left ?

After reading though posts etc I'm going to look into getting a EGT and Boost Gauge
Car came with a spare MAF sensor

Anyways Hello and welcome to my ramble on
thanks
don't think i can post the required number to allow download of that reference document
but don't matter, I'll keep searching and reading and getting Idea's etc
Also need to Deck out the back for a slide for fridge and draws as Bro in law took all that

Bigrig
30th January 2013, 08:41 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

I'd Tap That!!

Morton
30th January 2013, 08:44 PM
enjoy the forum Mutz, sounds like you got a good buy, timer is important to allow time for the turbo to cool down before shutting off, mine is set at 2min, change the oil in your diff for a quality LSD oil & that should sort your diff out, enjoy the crew here, cya on the tracks sometime

Trolatron
30th January 2013, 09:05 PM
Welcome Mutz, if you get a chance pop some pics up of your GQ and the GU in the Members Rides ... we love pics.

MEGOMONSTER
30th January 2013, 09:07 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

BigRAWesty
30th January 2013, 10:21 PM
Welcome mate. Sounds like your onto a winner with the gu..
A bigger zorst will slow the turbo to spool up quicker, thus boost comes on earlier..
But yea, do a tread in the members rides

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Dhuck
30th January 2013, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Clunk
30th January 2013, 10:51 PM
Gday mate and welcome aboard. Don't quite agree with the upgrade to GU statement but each to their own I suppose!!!! hahahaha
Sounds like you got yourself a good un mate..... Now time for some pics ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

wildgu6
31st January 2013, 06:11 PM
G'day buddy, Welcome aboard.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people

Enjoy, cheers Pete

Maxhead
31st January 2013, 06:35 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

healy
31st January 2013, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

growler2058
31st January 2013, 06:48 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

MuTz
14th January 2014, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Clunk;325769]Gday mate and welcome aboard. Don't quite agree with the upgrade to GU statement but each to their own I suppose!!!! hahahaha
Sounds like you got yourself a good un mate..... Now time for some pics ;)

I think I agree with you after $1700 + for diff Reco Motor Blew at 117000KM always serviced 5000KM since new, no signs no problems just went puff, should have done those anti detonation mods
might have saved me $9000+ so Just a note to new owners of second hand GU III patrols I would do these mods, don't let anyone say its a not a GU II or GU I it does not need it, temps were fine when it went too
at the start of a highway hill climb was not even pushing it that hard or anything, on that note soon as I get it back first thing is to get those Mods Done ASAP.
If anyone knows a place around sutherland that installs such Mods for a fair price please reply.

as far as I know the Dtronic chip is a plug and play piggy back without any selectable numbers. Had been installed over 7years ago by Pre owner.

Just a Note also the Diesel I put in / Filled up with in Sydney before I left put $230 worth in from an ind Payed Cash no receipt given didn't make any froth at all.
I've never put Diesel in that didn't do that, and I am suspect that it may have caused my motor to blow, but I have no way to prove I got it from them anyways.

threedogs
14th January 2014, 12:11 PM
No good mate, don't let that put you off Patrols.
Need to get the boost under control asap, and
a larger exhaust will help get the gasses out quicker too.
Chip and exhaust will see you benefit more
Out of interest what number was chip on when it went

Gecko17
14th January 2014, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forum MuTz. I'm sure one of the members will be able to point you in the right direction mate.

It is definately worth staying on the forum past the 25 posts... really great bunch of people on here. A wealth of experience too. Good luck.

PMC
14th January 2014, 06:42 PM
Was Just searching info on the 3.0 Di motor I now own.
Have been a bit worried that I payed to much, though I know the Full History of the
Car got from my Brother In-law.
She is a beauty though Got lots of extras
ARB bullbar sidestep Roof Rack
Warn Winch
IPF lights with HID upgrade
Kmar Rear Bar with 2x wheel carriers 2xwheels and 1x twin jerry carrier
Long Range Tank 145ltr
3" suspension lift (quality stuff as with everything he did with the car)
98000KM
New Genuine Clutch about 15000 ago

turbo timer (Though some say not really needed) comments ?

Also has a Dtronics Power Chip I think is what its called (not sure if this is a good or bad thing)
Has standard Exhaust not sure if I should upgrade this in the near future ?
Guy that chipped it said no need to upgrade it.

So How does my 2004 GU 3.0 compare to my old GQ1994 4.2Petrol/Gas ?? 2"lift Cheap one
Freeway driving is very similar maybe GQ could gain a bit more speed up hill but not much in it
Off road much better in the GU
Dirt Road GU is so much better again

Problems with the GU
noise coming from the rear diff on the highway like a slight winding sound?
When turning a sharp right on take off if you give it too much it kinda hops
but does not do it turning left ?

After reading though posts etc I'm going to look into getting a EGT and Boost Gauge
Car came with a spare MAF sensor

Anyways Hello and welcome to my ramble on
thanks
don't think i can post the required number to allow download of that reference document
but don't matter, I'll keep searching and reading and getting Idea's etc
Also need to Deck out the back for a slide for fridge and draws as Bro in law took all that

G’day MutZ,

Welcome aboard mate! I hope you enjoy your stay with this great forum and its members!

PS, Shite-loads of info and good laughs to be had all-round!

Regards,

RLI

Clunk
14th January 2014, 09:03 PM
Good to see the welcoming committee are on the ball........ Again!!!!!!!!!! Bwahahahaha

Sorry to hear your ride went bang mate, it's not good hearing about it but it's good to read you're keeping it and having another go....... Good on ya

geckster
14th January 2014, 09:56 PM
welcome to the forum

MuTz
14th January 2014, 11:19 PM
Sounds like RLI wants another RANT

Mofo Blew its shit 100km south of Tamworth 2am wake the mrs up and say somethings wrong with the car can you put the window down and have a look are we blowing smoke?
mrs does as I tell her and says yes, I ask lots of smoke ? she says yes with tears in her eyes.
Ok we are are pulling over here where its kinda safe.
I thank my lucky stars I took premium cover last towing trip.NRMA guy say blown turbo, towed about 3KM back to little town
Get into motel at 430am
getup 830am Blar Blar on phone can't say it will be fixed in Tamworth by Xmas we open 6th of Jan
Not spending Xmas here take hire car back to Sydney pickup the mrs car take both back to little town 10pm empty as much will fit in the old R31 motel and hit the road next day
Patrol can't be taken back to Sydney till next year sometime.

Get the Patrol taken back to Inlaws advised repairer in JAN he will look after you no rip off
Can't get a hold of anyone I know to ask advise thinking I'm in good hands OK $9000 for a second hand replacement motor.
week later get a hold of over 2 Mach I know plus 3 others in the know and told that is 1000's more than it should be.
Pull the pin and get it to another repairer, cost to release $530 or there abouts.
they quoted $7000 for similar job Or $8500 full reco
I'm waiting on a call from them now. Have mates saying they can get a second hand motor way cheaper but hay Reco I start almost from scratch.
Gota get those injectors and pump checked yes, called a diesel place I know to ask the ? and many more ?'s and well they don't do ZD30's Nor do alot of places but yes I can check injectors.
I don't recall him saying much about the pump though . As I understand it lean poor performance but rich = bang.
So its all still up it the Air don't know what I'll end up doing but the idea of a Full Reco sounds better than an unknown replacement.
Plan on keeping her for +6 years going bush etc so no short cuts one would think, but $$ are not something I can just use Or I'd be putting in a V8 turbo Diesel of some description.
Will Update with another rant in near future
Feel free to answer comment on any aspect of the RANT :-)

Finally got her back 2weeks ago Full Reco motor new injectors glows water pump radiator belt tension thing , Blocked EGR air con re-gas etc
$10230 Have been told that is not a bad price (Thanks Jap world Spares)
Still to do upgrade exhaust with EGT
Boost gauge and then if required the additional boost control mods
Mate just got an early 05 3.0Di with 160 on it I have advised to at least install an EGT are the other mods still recommended on an 05?

Other then a failed number 4 piston from heat there was no root cause found with the motor
computer had no sensor faults logged etc, intake was not blocked up.
so that been the case mods will be done asap