PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Alternator

pacs
30th January 2013, 01:47 PM
Hi all

I recently had the alternator die on my patrol so I'm after a new alternator and not sure of brands to buy or stick clear from.

I have managed to dig up an original Nissan Hitachi unit from the wreckers to get the car back on the road however as I did not remove the original alternator I'm unsure on connecting the wiring I think the last one was internally regulated and this one has a small round canister with a wire coming out which I'm guessing would be an external regulator.

If anyone has a TB4.2 with the original alternator could you please post a photo of the wiring and how the regulator is connected or confirm the wiring..

There are five wires...
1x white - bat terminal
1x white - sense terminal
1x white/red trace - Light terminal
1x black thin ??? - regulator ???
1x black - earth

cheers
pacs

Yendor
31st January 2013, 07:52 PM
Sorry I don't have a photo to show you.

If the new alternator has a two pin plug and the terminals are marked "S" and "L" it's an internally regulated alternator.

The "small round canister with a wire coming out of" is just a condenser/capacitor, helps reduced electrical noise through radios....etc

Wiring connections are

Large White wire - battery terminal.

Smaller White wire - battery sense (part of the two pin plug and connects to "S" at the alternator)

White wire with a Red trace (part of the two pin plug and connects to "L" at the alternator)

Thin Black wire- if this comes from the condenser/capacitor then the black wire will connect on the battery terminal with the large White wire.

Black wire - earth.

pacs
1st February 2013, 10:11 AM
Sorry I don't have a photo to show you.

If the new alternator has a two pin plug and the terminals are marked "S" and "L" it's an internally regulated alternator.

The "small round canister with a wire coming out of" is just a condenser/capacitor, helps reduced electrical noise through radios....etc

Wiring connections are

Large White wire - battery terminal.

Smaller White wire - battery sense (part of the two pin plug and connects to "S" at the alternator)

White wire with a Red trace (part of the two pin plug and connects to "L" at the alternator)

Thin Black wire- if this comes from the condenser/capacitor then the black wire will connect on the battery terminal with the large White wire.

Black wire - earth.

Thanks for that Yender it was just what I needed and I'm back on the road cheers