PDA

View Full Version : Battery not charging

Toby hawken
30th January 2013, 09:39 AM
Hi I have a swb td42. And the battery seems not to charge. When driving the volt gauge sits just above 14v then slowly goes down to 12 when I'm idling then when I turn it off the battery is dead.. Would it be the battery or the altinator? Cheers

Jodaniels
30th January 2013, 09:45 AM
if you have one, stick a voltmeter on the battery when the car is off and if its 10volts or lower after you have taken it for a good run then the battery has dropped a cell and is dead. also with the voltmeter while the car is running the altenator should be outputting around 14volts .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

threedogs
30th January 2013, 09:50 AM
remove terminals ,clean with a scourer, spray and replace and try.
should be reading 13.8-14volts with revs around 1500rpm
How old is your battery and what type, Wet cell etc??

Toby hawken
30th January 2013, 09:54 AM
The battery is about a year and half old and not sure Wat type. I will check it this arvo with a volt meter

WYLD333
30th January 2013, 08:38 PM
U really want 2 b reading ur meter when ur cranking the car or u wnt get a true reading, If u have a load tester use that.

Cuppa
30th January 2013, 08:46 PM
I'm guessing the battery has karked it. If you are getting 14v when running, the alternator is working, but the battery isn't holding the charge. If you can borrow a battery from someone, you can check by substitution.

Cuppa

happygu
30th January 2013, 09:15 PM
I'm betting on a bad battery...you have probably lost one of the cells inside the battery causing it to not hold charge.

Is it a maintenance free battery, or is it one where you can screw the tops off. If you can , check the water level inside each cell - one may be a bit dry ( although if it is, it may be too late to save it anyway )

Mic

Cuppa
1st February 2013, 04:19 PM
So how did you go Toby?

healy
1st February 2013, 05:42 PM
Before you get volt meter etc out and buy a alternator just check that it hasn't moved bolts all done up etc you can here an alternator working that's my 6c worth