PDA

View Full Version : I want to turbo my N/A td42

jwints
29th January 2013, 01:56 PM
Hey im new to 4wd scene, have been loving the fourwheel driving but the 4.2 diesel N/A is sluggish and want to put a turbo on it

What do i need to do for pickups and return lines etc.

What sort of sized turbos work well? gt28/71? gt30/64? gt35/40? or anything around there

where to source manifolds ?

Any helps and tips would be much appreciated :)

MudRunnerTD
29th January 2013, 02:21 PM
G'day mate,

Welcome to teh forum, We ask all new members to head over to the introduction section and post an intro thread. Say G'day mate, you will get a warm welcome and people will be happy to help you out from then.

When you walk into a room you generally say G'day so same goes here. ;)

In the red menu bar at the top there is a "Search" function. there are quite a few Turbo DIY threads for you to have a read of. even in this same section you will find a heap of info to help you.

Go and do an intro, as the afternoon rolls on a few of the boys will be on and you will get all the help you need mate.

Cheers MR

AB
29th January 2013, 02:23 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, don't forget to put up an intro about yourself in the introductions section.

In relation to your question It's a fairly easy DIY job mate...

Have a good read of this thread below all the way through it for a DIY explanation of how I did mine. I found the complete manifold and turbo off Ebay from someone upgrading the turbo on their TD42T GU Patrol.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4973-Fitting-a-genuine-Nissan-turbo-to-a-N-A-TD42&highlight=td42+turbo

nissannewby
29th January 2013, 03:20 PM
All those turbos you have stated are to big for why you want to do. A Td05 turbo or a 2860 would be a good place to start.

happygu
29th January 2013, 05:27 PM
There are a number of companies who have well respected turbo kits for the 4.2 I would suggest at the very least that you check a few of them out Safari, Turbo Glide, DTS , Motsons ,

There are different strength motors too over the years, silver top, black top in various guises, and certain motors can handle different levels of boost from standard before having to open it up

Scottyc
29th January 2013, 09:33 PM
Hi Jwints,

I've had a GU TD42 which I put a Denco kit and 2.5" exhaust on that I got from 4WD Systems in SA and a GQ TD42 with auto trans that had a Turbo Glide kit installed. Both were vast improvements over the N/A engine once I'd had them tuned. The Denco kit fitted up in less than a day - I had a few issues related to the instructions being for a GQ fitting but a bit of trial and error and it all went together pretty quickly. I've now sold that vehicle but last I heard it'd done over 100,000K's with the turbo without any issues. That said, after first fitting and a tune, it highlighted any parts in the car that were on their way out so factor in a clutch into the conversion if you haven't done it recently. Mine did the clutch on the dyno.

The Denco kit didn't need any drilling/tapping - it's a Schwitzer turbo and not water cooled - oil was obtained by putting a T junction in between the oil pressure sensor and block and the outlet was taken to the plug on the side of the block where the vacuum pump drain was on the GQ's.

I like the idea of buying all the parts and it can certainly be a lot cheaper but having a box turn up with all the bits you need certainly makes it easy.

Either way you wont be disappointed with the results.

jwints
29th January 2013, 10:37 PM
Hey boys thanks for the quick replies! love it! ill head on over there once im done reading the DIY i just got linked, all those turbos are ones ive got from my xr6 turbo, as it happens i was walking through a 4x4 wrecker and there was a gq ute there with a full denco intercooled setup the bloke is selling for 1850, i had a look at it has the usual bit of grease and stuff on it there was the normal little bit of shaft play up and down but nothing front and back, and as you have said denco im guessing there pretty good guys ?

Cheers boys :)

Scottyc
29th January 2013, 10:54 PM
Hi mate, Dencos site is here (https://www.dencodiesel.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?page=store&idProduct=186&idCategory=192)

If it's a complete kit with the intercooler, I'd go for it at that price but my experience with Denco was positive and I've not spoken with anyone else who's had one though some are wary because of the lack of water cooling.

Keep in mind the exhaust is part of the kit so make sure you get that as well - and all the other bits mentioned on the Denco site. If the turbo's shagged, you're looking for a Schwitzer or Borg Warner S2A to replace it. I have no idea what these are worth.

Let us know how you get on!