PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 TDi - Turbo gaskets/studs

DX grunt
28th January 2013, 10:47 PM
I feel like a real newby asking a DAQ, coz I'm right out of my depth here.

Well, here we go....

I got my mechanic to change all the turbo gaskets on my 4.2 TDi and he said the better option would be to put studs in, too.

What are studs, where do they go, and how do they help? Pics would help, too.

The mechanic knows what he's talking about, I just need somebody to explain the process, please.

Thanks in advance.

Rossco

Clunk
28th January 2013, 10:59 PM
Take a look in the mirror mate, there's a stud right there, you studly studmeister you ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Clunk
28th January 2013, 11:02 PM
Here you go mate, pay close attention to the lat type

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stud

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Cuppa
29th January 2013, 04:59 PM
Studs are the threaded bits that stick up out of the motor & pass through holes in the gasket & in the cover. A nut screws on to them to hold the cover on. They are threaded on both ends so they can screw into the motor. Usually inserted into the motor by spinning two nuts onto the stud & locking them together so the stud can be screwed in with a spanner. Usually loctited in. Good idea to replace them if blown gasket has been a problem. Reason is that the the nut is usually torqued onto the stud. When this has been done a few times, sometimes the stud stretches slightly & can result in uneven tightening when a new gasket is fitted.... gasket then blows again. Your mechanic may be being over cautious but in my view he's being smart. Cheaper to put in new studs whilst the cover is off & know the job is done right, rather than risk the extra expense of having to do the job a second time.

http://www.dieselpro.com/images/products/detail/detroit_diesel_engine_stud_for_manifold_8925804_es parrago_manifold_det.jpg

Cuppa

DX grunt
29th January 2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks Cuppa.

Really appreciate your knowledge.

I'd rather be over cautious than have to do it again. He's the local vehicle examiner as well.

I'm gunna be a good customer of his. lol

Take care out there.

Rossco

TurboOne
1st February 2013, 12:19 AM
Most of the times we change the studs at work. Its not that much more to the cost of the job. Why did you change the gaskets? was there a leak?

DX grunt
1st February 2013, 03:46 AM
Most of the times we change the studs at work. Its not that much more to the cost of the job. Why did you change the gaskets? was there a leak?

I took it to a major franchise for a regular service and they told me the exhaust manifold gasket and a couple of turbo gaskets need changing - because there was a leak. I decided to change all the gaskets in the one hit, instead of only a couple. I don't have any mechanical knowledge, so I said do the lot in the one hit.

I got all the gaskets through Nizzbits and I got my local mechanic to change everything. It sounds like a real truck - now. lol

Rossco