PDA

View Full Version : LED Reverse lights wiring

Jake1994
28th January 2013, 03:15 PM
Heyy everyone :biggrin:

I have two LED reverse/camplights that i want to wire onto my 2004 GU IV patrol

I want to wire them so they come on when i select reverse, but i also want to be able to turn them off and off as camplights, i have had a look around and think i have found the best way to wire this through a 12v 3 way switch.

I have drawn up what i think i should do, who can tell me if this is a good and correct way. Cheers :biggrin:

Rumcajs
28th January 2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah it should work, there are some "legalese" problems with that setup namely that reverse lights must not be above certain height so if they (camping lights/work lights) come on with reverse selected than they classed as such.
One way to mitigate the possible conflict with boys in blue would be to add another switch near the lights themselves to be able to have them disabled/turned off from outside as well for added convenience included. It can be a pain sometimes having to go back in to the vehicle to turn the lights off (3 way switch on mine is in the center console).
I also included the relay to power the lights just in case the Nissan's reverse light control is not up to the task of extra lights.
Cheers

MudRunnerTD
28th January 2013, 03:56 PM
If you don't need the switch in the front then just take the positive going to the reverse light and splice into that or a double pin there and power back to a relay for your new lights. Your lights will now come on when you engage reverse.

If you want to switch them on and off without reverse then take a positive power from the battery to a switch to the same pin on you relay as the power in from your reverse light, you can now power up and turn on at any time without ignition on. This will also turn your reverse lights on

MudRunnerTD
28th January 2013, 03:58 PM

I want to wire them so they come on when i select reverse, but i also want to be able to turn them off and off as camplights, i have had a look around and think i have found the best way to wire this through a 12v 3 way switch.

I have drawn up what i think i should do, who can tell me if this is a good and correct way. Cheers :biggrin:

Also I'd appreciate it if you could head over to the introduction section and post am intro thread about you and your car and where you are. It's polite to say g'day when entering a room, especially when you are hoping for some advice.

Cheers MR

happygu
28th January 2013, 04:14 PM
Wiring looks good Jake.....

MudRunnerTD
28th January 2013, 04:28 PM
At a minimum I would place a relay in there after the switch.

BearGUST
28th January 2013, 04:30 PM

That's how I did mine, very happy with it.